Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Concept Revealed

Images have leaked online of the new Buick Riviera concept, which is to be revealed at the Shanghai auto show this week. Designed at the GM Pan Asia Technical Center, the car is yet another stylish Buick designed by GM's China design team.

The Riviera is supposed to showcase Buick's forthcoming global design language for Buick, and the coupe will tour the world after the Shanghai show closes. Unfortunately, there aren't any major American autoshows left, leaving GM without a place to properly showcase such a concept in the US until late this year.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Link: http://www.leftlanenews.com/buick-riveria-concept.html

Edited by vrazzhledazzle

Oh man, it is rich with traditional Buick styling cues without being a throwback, which is what Pontiac should be also. I do have problems with it, however. It needs a longer hood and a shorter door, for example. The interior is sharp and appears to use this hot new ambient lighting trend. It should be built with slightly less blunt proportions with RWD and a turbocharged 3.6L engine.

EDIT: I just noticed it has gone back to the three-color Tri-Shield emblem, ditching the recent monochrome emblem. Sweet!

Edited by ocnblu

Ugh, those plastics look horrible!

Seriously though, uh, let's try and put as much as possible of this style into the next LaCrosse. If that's what the next LaCrosse looks like, I'll hold out on a new car.

The grill is much too high, though I've decided I like the front.

++

The first time I saw the front, I was not impressed. The more I look at it, though, the more I like it. With just a change in the grille, it'd be very attractive. I love the profile - very nice. The back is merely decent, but flows well.

I've changed my mind. I like it.

-RBB

++

The first time I saw the front, I was not impressed. The more I look at it, though, the more I like it. With just a change in the grille, it'd be very attractive. I love the profile - very nice. The back is merely decent, but flows well.

I've changed my mind. I like it.

-RBB

x2

I've been a Riviera fan since I first saw a new 1963 model. I used to almost constantly draw them in the margins of my notebook during study hall. I came mighty close to buying one of the boattail 1971-'73 models and I still love those cars. For many years, my mother-in-law had a '96 Riv with the SC 3800 engine. That car was very close to perfection, in my book. But they've lost me with this concept. Maybe it'll grow on me but right now, it hurts my eyes. And my brain. Could be that I'm just too dambed old.

ok, so i totally called it in the other thread that the lighting and preproduction photos were holding it back from its full potential. the proportions have grown, the length has increased, and the overhangs have become normal size, and all I can say is PERFECT!! It looks stunning now. I love the look all around. I wanna see more pictures, they actually left me wanting more. The rear looks amazing. And that inteiror is one of the best I've seen in a while. As a 26k sportster, to start off, this is perfect, maybe off a shortened EP II, or something smaller. Whatever, it's very cool, very contemorary luxury. A real substantial looking luxury coupe compared to MB C-coupe or whatever the hatch is called.

Instead of calling Buick the "American Lexus", perhaps it should now be the "Chinese Lexus." My initial though on this concept is that using the Riviera name is wholly inappropriate, but I've changed my mind.

Oh man! Build it over here as well. I don't see a need to change a thing. This design is completely worthy of the Riv name, just like the Chinese Park Avenue is of the same. This is a fine Renaissance — just market in the US with the same strategy and voracity as China and you will have it made. Buick needs to latch on to "The Great American Motor Car" in their NA advertising. The US is still the birthplace of Buick, am I the only one that has caught on? If Buick kills their rep here (or forbid, the brand), they will loose all credibility in the Chinese marketing. If you are building on heritage, you need lineage. GM needs to capture it while it's hot. Take these joint effort Buicks and market them as the spawn of the new world birthplace. It is the international respect of the Buick brand, instead of just the American icon. Buick, wise up, give us a Buick that will reflect America as the world's partner, with pride in American achievement. This country needs a positive image, and this kind of achievement deserves recognition and would ring in with NA consumers like apple pie, just in tort form and fashion.

Man, I love marketing.

Certainly looks better, though I still think the greenhouse is too big and too bulbous for the body. I also think it would look better as a sedan rather than having those huge doors. I can't really see the front, so I can't further critique it with these pictures.

The front end is absolutely horrible and I know exactly why they did it, to comply with the current ignorant EUROCAP and potential future international pedestrian impact safety standards that require an ugly, bulbous front end. Once the Europeans especially and the world community realizes how idiotic and misguided this approach to pedestrian safety is, we'll have good-looking grilles and fascias again.