vrazzhledazzle

09 Caddy CTS-V "flat out incredible"

47 posts in this topic

The next-generation Cadillac CTS-V will have "a power level only described as unexpectedly high,” GM vice chairman Bob Lutz told Car and Driver. He described the vehicle as "flat-out incredible. I’ve never driven anything like that."

Based on the 2008 Cadillac CTS sedan, the new CTS-V os expected to arrive later this year as a 2009 model.

Specific details of the CTS-V's engine remain a mystery. Some sources say power will come from a 4.6-liter naturally aspirated V8, while others insist a supercharged V8 is in store for the hot CTS. Some sources even claim this car will share the "Blue Devil" Corvette's supercharged V8.

C&D says the 505 hp, 7.0-liter LS7 V8 that currently powers the Corvette is a distinct possibility, considering the previous-generation CTS-V is powered by the 400 hp 6.0-liter Corvette LS2 powerplant.

Recent spy photos have shown the 2009 CTS-V undergoing extensive testing at the Nürburgring track in Germany and elsewhere. Prototypes feature a new grille design and a massive lower air-intake — both sporting a sporty mesh finish in the familiar V-spec tradition.

Posted Image

Link: http://www.leftlanenews.com/cadillac-cts-v-future.html

I think Car & Driver is right, hopefully.

Edited by vrazzhledazzle

I'd take one from the sounds of it. 500 horses out of a Cadillac? Sounds like music to my ears.

Wait till you actually hear the motor. It's pure evil.

Isn't there a sound clip of it somewhere? Seems like it was posted a while ago.

Did we get video when we heard it?

I didn't get video when I heard/saw it, no.

They drove it for 2 seconds and then put the cover back on.

There is a video of it somewhere, though.

Yeah it was on edmunds when they were testing at the Ring about 5 months ago.

Listening to to that video two things stand out:

1. That doesn't sound like a Northstar start up. Northstars have a very distinct starter sound. I can always tell when a northstar is starting up without having the turn a look at the car. <same goes for honda 4cylinders and GM 3800s and various Fords>

2. the idle does NOT sound like an OHC engine. that's gotta be a pushrod under there.

i know this car is just a test mule, but i hope the final production car will only have tailpipes showing and not the actual muffler itself. i think it looks so tacky and unfinished when i see it like that.

Edited by maxximus1

Listening to to that video two things stand out:

1. That doesn't sound like a Northstar start up. Northstars have a very distinct starter sound. I can always tell when a northstar is starting up without having the turn a look at the car. <same goes for honda 4cylinders and GM 3800s and various Fords>

2. the idle does NOT sound like an OHC engine. that's gotta be a pushrod under there.

Yeah it is definitely a pushrod. The initial grumble reminds me of my friend's LS6. It does seem to have a supercharger whine, although I may be wrong.

why that instead of the LS7?

More power and more torque? That 'unexpectedly high' comment could mean 'higher than M5'. Edited by ZL-1

why that instead of the LS7?

I dont know.

Like Northie said, probably mostly cost. The LS7 is assembled by hand at the Performance Build Center in Wixom. The "LSA" motor for the CTSv will be built in a regular engine plant.

I dont know.

Like Northie said, probably mostly cost. The LS7 is assembled by hand at the Performance Build Center in Wixom. The "LSA" motor for the CTSv will be built in a regular engine plant.

Is that official or rumor?

Is that official or rumor?

Official, but, from a while ago. I assume it hasn't changed since then as I haven't heard otherwise.

Edited by Chris_Doane

Official, but, from a while ago. I assume it hasn't changed since then as I haven't heard otherwise.

And have you heard anything regarding power/torque numbers?

LSA? is that engine based on ls3 or?...does it has a supercharger.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead