CHEESE

I am eating a light dinner of cheese and an apple. I love extra, Extra, EXTRA sharp cheddar to accompany the taste of the apple. This time, I bought "Heluva Good" brand "New York State Extra Sharp", and bleh, what a let-down. It's mild to the point of being flavorless, and it's way too creamy. I like my extra sharp cheddar to crumble when I cut it. Can anyone relate?

Reg, call me. :AH-HA_wink:

A nice chunk of crumbly, extra-sharp cheddar with French's yellow mustard... YUM.

Dodgefan, it's that mingling of disparate flavors in your mouth that is sooo good. Plus, I was home sick today and didn't want to eat anything too wild.

I like grilled cheese sandwiches made with swiss cheese. Those are good, dipped in tomato soup. And the tomato soup has to be made with water... if it's made with milk it's just gross.

Oh, and a sandwich made with ginger snaps (or spiced wafers, whatever your region calls them) and American singles is just tasty.

Mmmm... and a salad with crumbled bleu and candied pecans or walnuts over spinach leaves with raspberry vinaigrette... LOVE IT.

Custom-S, buddy, what kind of cheese do you like, mate? :huh:

Edited by ocnblu

Reg, call me. :AH-HA_wink:

A nice chunk of crumbly, extra-sharp cheddar with French's yellow mustard... YUM.

Dodgefan, it's that mingling of disparate flavors in your mouth that is sooo good. Plus, I was home sick today and didn't want to eat anything too wild.

I like grilled cheese sandwiches made with swiss cheese. Those are good, dipped in tomato soup. And the tomato soup has to be made with water... if it's made with milk it's just gross.

Oh, and a sandwich made with ginger snaps (or spiced wafers, whatever your region calls them) and American singles is just tasty.

Mmmm... and a salad with crumbled bleu and candied pecans or walnuts over spinach leaves with raspberry vinaigrette... LOVE IT.

Custom-S, buddy, what kind of cheese do you like, mate? :huh:

You had me right up to the crumbled bleu...blech!

Feta's good in place of bleu. I've made an awesome salmon wrap with feta, grilled salmon brushed with bbq sauce, peach salsa, and lettuce. Tasty! Edited by ocnblu

Kraft Singles! :AH-HA_wink:

individually wrapped yellow oil square with light cheese like flavoring... fo' real

seriously... I'm going to Koeln Germany and an the Provance in France this autumn..... you other cheese lovers can all hate me now. :thumbsup:

I had always made grilled cheese sandwiches with American cheese until I went to Italy and found out they don't have American cheese (or any yellow cheeses), so I started making them with Swiss. Wow! Sorry Kraft, ain't going back!

LOL! Right on.

I love all the light colored cheeses...like Swiss, Havarti and most of all - provolone. The cheese in Europe puts our processed crap to shame, as far as I can see. I like bleu cheese, too, but in the dressing made by Bob's Big Boy with which I cover my salad and use as a dip for the french fries.

I am staying away from cheese a little more, though, as I was told to lower my cholesterol. I am not a fan of liquor, but I have two bottles of free Zinfandel a co-worker gave me. So I have one glass of this "vino" with some cheese and wheat crackers right before I go to bed. I'm trying to see if it really does lower the cholesterol count.

ocn and reg, cut it out...you guys are gross....LOL

I forgot.

If you HATE someone and you can get under the hood of their car, shred Limburger cheese all over the manifolds. Once it melts, yoooowwwww!

Have you ever smelled that stuff?

That particular combo is not my thing but I can see how

it would taste good to some people, interesting dinner.

I've been on a fine-chocolate kick as of late. Growing

up in Europe means I have always been obsessed with

good German/Belgian style creamy chocolate.

Edited by Sixty8panther

I can't believe noone mentioned the Italian cheeses. I use Parmesan like it's going out of style. Fresh mozzarella is great too - I have to try making a pizza out of that stuff. And there's ricotta - sweet, creamy ricotta :drool:.

I can't believe noone mentioned the Italian cheeses.

Dude, I did ! Read above. Provolone...can't get enough of it, but stay away from large quantities because it's so damn fatty (YOU don't have THAT problem). :lol:

LOL! Right on.

I love all the light colored cheeses...like Swiss, Havarti and most of all - provolone. The cheese in Europe puts our processed crap to shame, as far as I can see. I like bleu cheese, too, but in the dressing made by Bob's Big Boy with which I cover my salad and use as a dip for the french fries.

I am staying away from cheese a little more, though, as I was told to lower my cholesterol. I am not a fan of liquor, but I have two bottles of free Zinfandel a co-worker gave me. So I have one glass of this "vino" with some cheese and wheat crackers right before I go to bed. I'm trying to see if it really does lower the cholesterol count.

ocn and reg, cut it out...you guys are gross....LOL

Italian mozzarella is so good! Man, it makes me want to go back just for one more quattro formaggi pizza!

In The World History of Cheese, isn't it true that soldiers were given chunks of cheese to put in their food satchels for long journeys? Just scrape the mold off and eat the cheese beneath. Cheese is incredible.

I can't believe noone mentioned the Italian cheeses. I use Parmesan like it's going out of style. Fresh mozzarella is great too - I have to try making a pizza out of that stuff. And there's ricotta - sweet, creamy ricotta :drool:.

Ricotta... I make one hell of a ricotta cheese cake. :AH-HA_wink:

As a matter of fact, I always like my spaghetti with sauce al masaniello (with ricotta mixed in) Mmmmm! :)

And after having cheese in Italy, our cheeses here in the states, all processed, are horrible. z28, try to drain as much water out of the fresh mozzarella when you slice it and put it on the pizza... otherwise, it'll leave the pizza a little wet.

When I was in Rome, I used to go to a fruttivendolo (fruit stand) and get myself a large peach, some grape tomatoes, and then I'd visit the salumeria (butcher), and pick up a large ball (little smaller than a baseball), of fresh mozzarella. I'd eat all three for lunch (the peach was my dessert), and the whole thing cost about 3,000 Lire at the time, which was like a $1.50. That size mozzarella here would cost easily 7-8 bucks!