I'm very curious so I'm just going to bite the bullet and actually try it!

A friend of mine tried it on his brand new kickass rig. Nvidia / OpenGL support is still bad on Vista. He's going back to XP Pro, but on the way he's trying XP x64 Edition because of his 64 bit processor and 4GB of RAM (of which Vista could only detect 2.5GB).

I'm talking about Vista of course, what did you think I meant? :P

Well, I immediately though "He's going to buy a leftover GTO." :D

I'm staying as far from Vista as the east is from the west. At least until SP1 or SP2.

i saw that sp1 for vista is in beta now, so it will be better soon. about the ram, if you do it, get a 64 bit version.

if you're buying a new system i'd try to wait till the new AM2+ stuff from AMD comes out, at least more competition, possibly better than core duos, but, you know, prolly lower prices either way you go.

I've casually tried it at CompUSA...it's a little prettier than XP but the overall layout is still the same. Microsuck went anal on security programs rather than designing an OS that was secure (like MacOS even though I hate MacOS' overall design).

Then there's the aforementioned compatibility issues.

I'm sticking with XP for now, but eventually Vista will be needed to harness the power of newer games and hardware...for now though it's still too bugged to be worth it, IMO.

I can't wait for AMD's new stuff...mmm...Quad Core...

--

I originally thought you were gonna buy a G8 to replace that Grand Prix.

Edited by Dodgefan

Guest YellowJacket894

I may never buy a new PC again, I'll stick with my 2 XP machines then go Mac.

I'm in the same boat as this man. My next computer will more than likely be a PowerBook.

Microsoft, Microsoft, Microsoft ... shame on you and your horrible, horrible Vista.

i saw that sp1 for vista is in beta now, so it will be better soon. about the ram, if you do it, get a 64 bit version.

Currently, only on XP 32bit will you find the best support. Vista is too new, and 4GB+ RAM isn't yet mainstream (and therefore neither are 64bit operating systems). Give it about... 2, maybe 3 years, and 64-bit will be essential. Microsoft will probably release a new OS or a revised version of Vista x64 to go with the trend.

I will never buy a Mac. My biggest problem with Microsoft is its use of proprietary software to maintain its stranglehold on the PC market. There's no way in hell I'm gonna switch to Apple and deal with proprietary HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE.

You may deduce that I'd sooner switch to Linux, but Windows is the only OS that lets me do everything I want to do with computers.

If I had thew money for a Mac I'd never use a PC again, ever.

I installed Vista on my laptop problem-free. I like it, but to be honest, it's just a UI change to me. It's all lights and whistles. Ooooh... the windows are made of glass! Ooooh, the sound effects are softer!

To be honest, unless you plan to use the OS for more than just Office, Internet and maybe a few games, the price and time spent waiting for the upgrade, are just not worth it.

I've been running Vista for a few months. It has some smart new features, and the GUI is splashier (not a big deal), but it is a huge resource hog and still has serious compatibility issues. However, if you buy a computer with Vista preloaded, you should be fine (as long as you have enough RAM).

buy as much ram and the fastest RPM hard drive you can....

If capacity is important, you won't get far with a 10k RPM hard disk. Western Digital's Raptors go for about $1.50 per GB, while higher capacity 7200 RPM drives can be bought for little more than $0.20 per GB.

Vista is designed specifically to utilize what's called a Hybrid Hard Drive.

and the fastest RPM hard drive you can....

Not true

RPM has nothing to do with performance. The only thing it has is a tad faster Seek time.

10k Raptor has 4.6ms But only has Sata 1.5 interface for a 150gb it cost about 180

while a Caviar has 8.7ms time and has a Sata 3.0 interface for 160 cost about 59

So if you want one nosiey ass HDD with a slower interface and spend 3x as much. Than be my guest. Its more for Bragging rights. What you should look for is The Cache 16mb and SataII or 3.0 interface.

As For Vista Wait a couple of years

Its so unstable and non of my devices were compatible. there is no drivers out for it yet either gaming is rather slow on it

I bought a new HP Pavilion notebook a month ago, pre-loaded with Vista. I bought everything from the same company and MS, including MS' new 1Care system (firewall, anti-viral, etc.) Future Shop loaded everything. No illegal copies on my computer. The transfer from my old XP computer went flawlessly.

So far, Vista just seems prettier than XP. Whereas XP was designed to cope with digital pictures (which were emerging at the time XP was released), Vista is designed to handle DVD burning and movie making, which is now emerging as the next big thing. That's it. I don't find anything that much better or easier. Having a newer version of Word, Excel and Powerpoint is neat, but not earthshattering.

So far, so good. My notebook has 2 gig of RAM and AMD duo core processors and it rocks.

Won't support from Microsoft for XP Home edition be withdrawn at the end of the year? I read that somewhere but don't remember where.

Based on the following two sources, Windows XP Service Pack 2 will continue to be supported until September 17, 2009.

Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy

Support Lifecycle Data for Windows XP Service Pack 2

Technically, XP Home Edition and SP1 are no longer supported, but if you have SP2 installed, then huzzah! Support.

Edit: The rich text editor got weird on me.

Edited by aaaantoine

I have to admit I was a little nervous about Vista when I got it, but so far even most of my older programs have been forward compatible. The new HP printer I got with my system ($29 - the ink is worth more than that!) came with a notice about Vista. After a 25 minute download from HP via highspeed internet, my new printer was working flawlessly, too.

I wasted $80 by buying Nero to manage files, copy DVDs, etc, and I now realize Vista probably would have done that fine without spending the extra money.

Having had computers since '87, I can definitely see a trend in that each generation is making it harder and harder to remain "underground." I"ve never had time or patience for illegal softwared, but with Vista it looks like MS has advanced to the point where only the hackers can get away with it.