Flybrian

SPY SHOTS! 2009 Chevrolet Corvette SS

40 posts in this topic

SPY SHOTS! 2009 Chevy Corvette SS
Room for Supercharger, Carbon Fiber Roof and More
Posted Image
Link to Original Article and Spy Shots @ Popular Mechanics

DETROIT — Here's our latest look at what the Corvette folks have been working up for the ultra-fast coupe class, the 2009 Corvette SS. At least SS is the name most used in referring to this 600-plus-hp, supercharged beauty. You might think it looks like today's Corvette, except for the tape over the fenders and the black covering on the hood. But you'd be wrong.

Let’s go through the subtle—but very important—changes needed to make this a 200-mph car for the track. We think the hood covering hides a new bulge there—a necessary tweak to make room for that supercharger nestled near the vee at the top of the 6.2-liter V8 engine.

There's also a solid possibility that the new hood on the new ‘Vette is made of carbon fiber instead of the traditional Corvette fiberglass. If so, that's a major move toward weight savings. Based on the black top we’ve seen on our spy shots of this puppy in blue and then again in red—though it’s new to the yellow, which we’ve also already seen—we feel even more strongly that the prototypes are already carrying carbon-fiber black roof panels.

You might check out the stingy aero lip atop the deck in the rear. That’s new to the Corvette line, and a necessary accessory when traveling at high speed: At speed, the lip catches the air stream and forces the stream upward, creating a down pressure on the rear wheels (always good to have ultimate traction when moving at this car's hyperspeeds).

That black lower rear fascia arrangement surrounding the exhaust tips also looks new to us.

The rear view also shows new, stingy "mud flaps" that extend the fenders to cover the width of the Michelin tires. We told you before that Michelin and Goodyear were bidding for the tire contract for this vehicle, and so far it’s looking good for Michelin to take Goodyears off the Corvette for the first time ever. The Michelin sidewall details include "light load" and "outside" designations, with separate designs for each wheel. Rear wheels probably have an aspect ratio of 35 on 20-in. rims. Another detail near the fender is hidden beneath the black tape—probably two separate slots for air evacuation.

Finally, we see the design of the wheels themselves once again. Behind the dual five-spoke design on the outside of the rims, there are 10 additional spokes set inboard. As with the carbon-fiber body parts, the wheel design offers ultra-light, unsprung weight to aid handling and ride and to cut down on the vehicle's overall weight. Boy, is this beauty gonna need it. —Jim Dunne

I like the wheels. The current ones are all too simplistic and unsubstantial looking for the car body, imo.

Any word on better color selection? For a $90K car, one silver, one black, etc, won't cut it. Gunmetal grey would make it the ultimate sleeper supercar.

I wonder if this will be an all-out performance car (Z06 x2) or more of a well-rounded GT supercar (SLR). A custom interior will be sweet.

Edited by empowah

The new "King of the Hill".

:ohyeah:

Posted Image:scratchchin:

thats what ive been hopin the name was from the start. i cant help but look at this thing and hear the imperial march theme in my head, its gonna be awesome.

Hopefully those tires are Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. One of the mags said that if the Z06 didn't have run-flats and had the Pilot Sport Cups like the 911 GT3, it would be a lot faster.

How about putting the rarest of the rare Corvette names on it...ZL-1.

<------------- I'm all for it!!! :smilewide:

What am I missing? NEXT year's Vette looks alot like LAST year's Vette.

:scratchchin:

Time for a radical change IMO. Make the LOOKS more inline with the PERFORMANCE?

:wink:

looks pretty awesome.

and good, i hope michelin wins. i'm so tired of goodyear and their crappy tires.

The Goodyears were taylored to GM's spec at the price they wanted to pay.

Goodyear is getting away from OE sales as there is little profit and the performance can not be all it can be due to drive by sound regs and compund not as good due to milage regs. The Run Flat requirement is a real killer too.

Notice the best Eagles as well as most of the best perfomance tires regardless of MFG are never OE for these reasons.

The new F1 Eagles have been great performers and one of the best rated tire in many independent test but are not a OE tire.

The bottom line will be the lowest bidder not the best tire no matter the claim and car companys want cheap tires no matter the application.

Notice the best Eagles as well as most of the best perfomance tires regardless of MFG are never OE for these reasons.

The new F1 Eagles have been great performers and one of the best rated tire in many independent test but are not a OE tire.

I coulda sworn the SRT8 Mopars- both the Chryslers and the Dodges- used 245/45/20 (front) and 255/45/20 (rear) Goodyear Eagle F1s as the stock tires?

I remember hearing that we should/could expect drastically different bodywork... what happened to that?

I remember hearing that we should/could expect drastically different bodywork... what happened to that?

That's what I would like to see. Not an added rear spoiler...

:banghead:

Its just a mule, of course they aren't going to show you their hand. The changes will be different enough to distinguish it from other Vettes.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!

:lol:

Its just a mule, of course they aren't going to show you their hand. The changes will be different enough to distinguish it from other Vettes.

I hope so, but please, nothing too gaudy/tacky...

I like the wheels. The current ones are all too simplistic and unsubstantial looking for the car body, imo.

Any word on better color selection? For a $90K car, one silver, one black, etc, won't cut it. Gunmetal grey would make it the ultimate sleeper supercar.

I wonder if this will be an all-out performance car (Z06 x2) or more of a well-rounded GT supercar (SLR). A custom interior will be sweet.

I disagree with you, these wheels are busy and what a pain it will be to keep them clean. There are some amazing wheels on the market that are simplistic and easy to clean yet very distinct and in my mind superior to these ugly wheels.

I do agree with you that a GunMetal gray would be kick ass on this car. Plus lets drop the ugly plain black. Go with a metallic black. Something that has more zip than just a basic ugly plain black.

How about putting the rarest of the rare Corvette names on it...ZL-1.

good call, they only made what 2 or 3 of those? i read a write up that a mag did on the surviving one i think it was hemmings muscle machines. the owner bought the thing at a police auction cause it was seized from a drug dealer... cant remember how much he paid for it but he got it for a steal compared to the real world value of the car.

I coulda sworn the SRT8 Mopars- both the Chryslers and the Dodges- used 245/45/20 (front) and 255/45/20 (rear) Goodyear Eagle F1s as the stock tires?

Chrysler has been know to take acception with tread wear requirements in shearch of performance.

The Michelins on my buddys Viper were only good for 17,000 , miles with few burn outs.

GM on the other hand put Comp TA radials on my GP that were not near as good as the Comps I bought for my other car. I replaced them with Goodyears with 70,000 rating and they have been great in wear and traction. The Comps only got 24,000 miles with my wife driving around town.

Comps are like Eagles there are good and bad in the same line. Note BFG is owned by Michellin and they suffer the same thing. Tire lines are like car companys. They have goods, old, new and bad in their lines.

After working with engineers from BFG, Goodyear, Firestone Michelin, Bridgestone, General, and Hankook I can tell you some things that would amaze you on what goes into to OE tires and how the engineers hate them.

good call, they only made what 2 or 3 of those? i read a write up that a mag did on the surviving one i think it was hemmings muscle machines. the owner bought the thing at a police auction cause it was seized from a drug dealer... cant remember how much he paid for it but he got it for a steal compared to the real world value of the car.

Here is some history on the ZL-1 Corvette.

http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/FAPC/ZL1Corvette.htm

Edited by RJB

Don't be so sure. The parts with camo on them may be all that's changing.

Don't be so sure. The parts with camo on them may be all that's changing.

But are the parts the standard composite plastic parts?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead