Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

UAW sets strike deadline for Monday morning

9.24.07, 11:18am

UAW Strikes GM
Link to Original Article @ DetNews

The United Auto Workers launched a national strike today against General Motors Corp. after 10 days of marathon bargaining failed to produce a new labor pact for the automaker's 73,000 hourly U.S. workers.

The stunning move came after the union told its members on Sunday they were to walk off the job unless they heard otherwise by 11 a.m. That word never came, and now GM is facing its first strike since the UAW struck the automaker's operation in Flint in 1998.

"Unless you hear otherwise from your International Union and Local Union leadership, you should consider yourself on strike at 11:00 a.m."

Local union officials echoed the alert less than an hour before the deadline.

Chris Sherwood, president of UAW Local 652 in Lansing, said this morning it doesn't look good for heading off a GM strike.

"I doubt they will reach agreement," he said. "The UAW leadership called me Sunday night and told me we were going on strike unless we tell you differently. Before they'd tell me to wait for the call and then go on strike.

"It doesn't look good. We've been meeting with management on how to calmly close down the plant. We're ready to man the gates."

At 11 this morning inside GM plants across the nation workers will get signal from local UAW committeeman who will walk down line and inform workers whether they should walk or stay on. If a strike is called, workers will immediately leave the building and most already have assigned picket duties.

Most locals, including Local 599 in Flint, are filled with officers and volunteer retirees who are putting together hundreds of picket signs. The signs read "UAW on strike," "We support our top negotiators," "Americans have rights," and "NAFTA bankrupts America."

At Local 599, the picket signs are lined up on folding tables in the hall's lobby, just in front of huge murals that celebrate this union's militant background of sit-down strikes and mass marches.

The mood in the hall among local officials is that of gallows humor, with a handful of local officials standing by joking about decreases in healthcare and who will be "left standing" at the end of the day.

9.24.07, 12:25am

UAW sets strike deadline for Monday morning
Union expected to ask GM for guarantees of future production at U.S. plants

DETROIT - The United Auto Workers set a deadline of Monday morning to strike General Motors Corp. if a new contract isn’t reached, even as the two sides continued bargaining late Sunday night, according to a local union Web site.

The deadline to reach an agreement was set for 11 a.m. EDT Monday, according to a posting on the Web site of UAW Local 160 in Warren.

GM said in a statement Sunday night that it is working with the union to resolve issues.

“The contract talks involve complex, difficult issues that effect the job security of our U.S. workforce and the long-term viability of the company,” said the statement, which was posted on a GM Web site. “We are fully committed to working with the UAW to develop solutions together to address the competitive challenges facing General Motors. We will continue focusing our efforts on reaching an agreement as soon as possible.”

UAW President Ron Gettelfinger said as recently as Friday that the union was trying to speed up negotiations and reach an agreement without a strike. The union may be trying to ratchet up the pressure on GM to get a deal done.

The UAW’s contract with GM was set to expire Sept. 14, but the union has been extending it on an hour-by-hour basis since then.

A local UAW official said earlier Sunday that negotiators have wrapped up work on most issues and were determining how much money GM must put into a trust fund for retiree health care that will be managed by the UAW. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the talks are private.

The health care fund — known as a Voluntary Employees Beneficiary Association, or VEBA — would be a groundbreaking change for the auto industry and has been the major issue in this year’s negotiations. GM has around $51 billion in unfunded retiree health care costs but the company isn’t required to put the full amount into the VEBA. The UAW and GM have been wrangling over how much GM should put in and how much can be paid in cash or in stock.

This breaking news story will be updated.

Link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20903218/ Edited by Flybrian

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is complete BS on the UAW's part. If they want to work along with GM so badly on contract talks, then why don't they continue the negotiations with GM without striking? This is the last straw for me! From now on, I will still buy GM vehicles, but only vehicles built outside the United States (since there are no non-UAW GM plants in the USA). I hate to do that, but the longer we support these parasites, the longer they will stay. I support America and GM but I DO NOT support the UAW in any way, shape, or form.

Edited by Clownzilla

the UAW is just using their main leverage. It's just what they have to do to present as strong of a negotiation as they can. They have a lot against them this time around, and GM has done their share of hardball. I want to see concessions made by the UAW, but don't expect them to give the farm away, or not play some hardball right back.

By all means , STRIKE! GM would love a week or so of downtime to cut back on inventory. The UAW is so stupid. they are more worried about their retiree benefits that the job security of their current members or the ability of GM to grow the business and add new jobs. Of course, GMs executives don't do themselves any favors by giving themselves bonuses and maintaining their perks.

Well, this is complete BS on the UAW's part. If they want to work along with GM so badly on contract talks, then why don't they continue the negotiations with GM without striking? This is the last straw for me! From now on, I will still buy GM vehicles, but only vehicles built outside the United States (since there are no non-UAW GM plants in the USA). I hate to do that, but the longer we support these parasites, the longer they will stay. I support America and GM but I DO NOT support the UAW in any way, shape, or form.

Parasites !?! You got a lot of nerve! Who's the parasites here? It's non-uniion workers who have benefitted the most from what unions have long fought for! (40 hour work weeks, holiday pay, overtime pay, safety regulations, etc.) I bet you've never worked in a really hard job a day in your life. Try working on an assembly line, or mining coal, or working in a bucket truck on power lines. You might see why you would want to have a union watching your back for you then!

Parasites !?! You got a lot of nerve! Who's the parasites here? It's non-uniion workers who have benefitted the most from what unions have long fought for! (40 hour work weeks, holiday pay, overtime pay, safety regulations, etc.) I bet you've never worked in a really hard job a day in your life. Try working on an assembly line, or mining coal, or working in a bucket truck on power lines. You might see why you would want to have a union watching your back for you then!

It's amusing that non union auto workers like Toyota's receive better pay and benefits than UAW workers? They also aren't causing more manufacturing to be taken out of the country like the UAW does.

No offense man, but I've held blue collar jobs most of my life and I still despise unions. My grandfather was an avid Teamster supporter, but my experience has been that now unions just serve as a harbinger of "good enough" when our 'global economy' (which is a joke in the first place--- I know) demands excellence.

I have worked in the auto sales business all my life and have worked harder than the vast majority of assembly line workers. From washing cars when I was a kid to managing customer relations AND the IT department now (which includes computer programming, network integration, etc.) I have more niche skills that I worked my a** off to get than ANY factory line worker. Long hard days at work AND long hard days through college to receive my MBA have payed off well for me. I have never joined a union and never will, because my pay is based off of what I am worth and what I worked hard for. Listen, most people appreciate what unions have done for America in the 1800's and some of the 1900's because it's unions that have established all the employment laws. All unions are doing now is demanding WAY more than they deserve for their jobs and hurting our economy. This isn't the 1800's any more! That is the spot-on definition of a parasite, and I anxiously wait for the day when unions are purged from our country.

Edited by Clownzilla

I have worked in the auto sales business all my life and have worked harder than the vast majority of assembly line workers. From washing cars when I was a kid to managing customer relations AND the IT department now (which includes computer programming, network integration, etc.) I have more niche skills that I worked my a** off to get than ANY factory line worker. Long hard days at work AND long days hard through college to receive my MBA have payed off well for me. I have never joined a union and never will, because my pay is based off of what I am worth and what I worked hard for. Listen, most people appreciate what unions have done for America in the 1800's and some of the 1900's because it's unions that have established all the employment laws. All unions are doing now is demanding WAY more than they deserve for their jobs and hurting our economy. This isn't the 1800's any more! That is the spot-on definition of a parasite, and I anxiously wait for the day when unions are purged from our country.

I have to agree to these points...and in the 'Global Economy' we are in, you cannot pay a guy $50-70 an hour to screw lug nuts on a car and be competitive in the market. It is just not feasable any longer. When you are building cars alongside Toyota, who is not under union constraints - something has to give. Of course, when Hillary and Obama give us all free healthcare, won't all of this Union posturing be for not anyway? After all, the Government will be taking care of us for the rest of our lives! :AH-HA_wink:

Apparently negotiations are continuing, but some are walking out. Appears to be some confusion.

Oh no, there is no confusion. The UAW's idea of negotiation is if they don't get what THEY want at the exact time THEY want it, they walk out. No matter if they both still are talking it out. I wonder when GM gets a true global production base, if they can just lock out the workers at an exact time no matter what and just build vehicles elsewhere until the UAW finishes the talks with them. The UAW would be in an uproar.

Edited by Clownzilla

well this is gm's turn to play hard ball and see how much confusion they have if they just let the employees go, and hire new ones...

dont resign the contract and get the employees to quit their union high wage benifit job...

gm may look like the bad guy but save themselves millions if they just kick em off the premisis

It's being confirmed by CNN.

CNN BREAKING NEWS

This is bad news for UAW employees. Say goodbye to your jobs because GM won't hesitate to look at Asia. Sure, it won't happen right away and the strike issue will be resolved, but you're going to see some big plant closures over the next decade.

well this is gm's turn to play hard ball and see how much confusion they have if they just let the employees go, and hire new ones...

dont resign the contract and get the employees to quit their union high wage benifit job...

gm may look like the bad guy but save themselves millions if they just kick em off the premisis

The problem with that is that those workers will get unionized eventually if they become permanent, so GM will be back where they started.

I have to agree to these points...and in the 'Global Economy' we are in, you cannot pay a guy $50-70 an hour to screw lug nuts on a car and be competitive in the market. It is just not feasable any longer. When you are building cars alongside Toyota, who is not under union constraints - something has to give. Of course, when Hillary and Obama give us all free healthcare, won't all of this Union posturing be for not anyway? After all, the Government will be taking care of us for the rest of our lives! :AH-HA_wink:

I guess you guys think it's great then, that the average CEO gets compensated 400 times what the average worker gets paid. If that's what global economics is all about there we're headed backward to the Dark Ages and don't know it!

It's being confirmed by CNN.<a href="http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/24/news/companies/gm_uaw_strikedeadline/index.htm?cnn=yes" target="_blank">

</a>CNN BREAKING NEWS

This is bad news for UAW employees. Say goodbye to your jobs because GM won't hesitate to look at Asia. Sure, it won't happen right away and the strike issue will be resolved, but you're going to see some big plant closures over the next decade.

why go to asia when they can just reject any contracts, and hire new people... it doesnt take 60 days of inventory to to train people sure quality may not be what it should for a few months, but the dealership will hash out any problems... and poof, gm's rid of its indefinate problem...

the uaw must realize when its subject is backed in a corner

It's being confirmed by CNN.

CNN BREAKING NEWS

I hate to see that happen, but that's their only choice in this type of environment. Like you stated, it won't happen right away, but it will happen over the next decade.

Canadian Auto Workers Chief:Will Support Possible UAW Strike

September 24, 2007: 11:14 AM EST

DETROIT -(Dow Jones)- Canadian Auto Workers President Buzz Hargrove said Monday that the union will support a potential United Auto Workers strike against General Motors Corp. (GM).

"We'll support them anyway we can," Hargrove said in an interview. He noted the company builds key pickup trucks in Canada at a CAW represented plant, and said the plant will stop building these trucks if supply of UAW-made parts happens to run out. He said the CAW took similar action in 1998, when the UAW last struck GM.

Hargrove said that demand for the pickup trucks has faded in recent years, meaning the CAW may not need to take action.

-By John D. Stoll, Dow Jones Newswires; (313) 226-1249; john.stoll@ dowjones.com

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

09-24-07 1114ET

Copyright © 2007 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

UAW WORKER: "Gee - where did my job go? " - Answer: "Somewhere else!"

Please GM Management - do not cave on this one. Stay strong. I hate to see the workers out of a job due to the Union's actions, but here is a chance to show the U.S. just how many people you employ here. State your case; show every Tom, Dick and Herriet just how much these people on the lines make and what the benefits they are already receiving are in a huge article in every paper in the U.S.. Spell it out for everyone - be transparent. Take this to the streets in any way that you can to show that the Union is acting unfair and show us what they want. I bet that would paint the UAW in a really bad light.

Here is my problem with the Union: They are nothing more than a sweatshop for a Political Action Committee that generally supports the party that is Anti-business; Higher taxes, more regulation, ect...and they refuse to see the world in the big picture. They have outlived their purpose.

GM now confirms a national strike.

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet...amp;docid=39802

2007-09-24

CONTACTS

GM statement regarding UAW work stoppage

We are disappointed in the UAW's decision to call a national strike.

The bargaining involves complex, difficult issues that affect the job security of our U.S. work force and the long-term viability of the company. We are fully committed to working with the UAW to develop solutions together to address the competitive challenges facing General Motors.

We will continue focusing our efforts on reaching an agreement as soon as possible.

Visit GM's Manufacturing and Labor Resource web site: www.gmmanufacturing.info

Edited by Chris_Doane

A quick thought for the conspiracy theorists:

GM knew this would happen and they're allowing it to happen. They lose 1/2 day of production (which as pointed out, won't hurt their inventory situation), they get a deal by the end of the day and tomorrow the union leaders can sell the rank and file on anything they bring. Sort of, "We had to give some things back, but it would have been a lot worse if we hadn't banded together yada yada yada."

If that's not the case, then you guys are right, the UAW has sealed their fate. They won't be disbanded right away, but there will be a lot of work going elsewhere over the next 10 yrs. - sad.

i wonder, if such media broad casting, GM this GM that, puts GM on a massive spot light as it introduces its 2 major cars (CTS, Malibu) and in a few months the G8....

could this be a smoke screen for a massive advertising campaign gm has been talking about its malibu? GM needs it name in the media... perception change requires someone to even think about a company...

i wonder, if such media broad casting, GM this GM that, puts GM on a massive spot light as it introduces its 2 major cars (CTS, Malibu) and in a few months the G8....

could this be a smoke screen for a massive advertising campaign gm has been talking about its malibu? GM needs it name in the media... perception change requires someone to even think about a company...

Kind of the 'any press is good press' thinking? I can't see a strike being anything but a negative for GM...

Canadian Auto Workers Chief:Will Support Possible UAW Strike

September 24, 2007: 11:14 AM EST

DETROIT -(Dow Jones)- Canadian Auto Workers President Buzz Hargrove said Monday that the union will support a potential United Auto Workers strike against General Motors Corp. (GM).

"We'll support them anyway we can," Hargrove said in an interview. He noted the company builds key pickup trucks in Canada at a CAW represented plant, and said the plant will stop building these trucks if supply of UAW-made parts happens to run out. He said the CAW took similar action in 1998, when the UAW last struck GM.

Hargrove said that demand for the pickup trucks has faded in recent years, meaning the CAW may not need to take action.

-By John D. Stoll, Dow Jones Newswires; (313) 226-1249; john.stoll@ dowjones.com

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

09-24-07 1114ET

Copyright © 2007 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

f@#k you Buzz and f@#k your union. You signed a contract to work and build trucks for GM. you'll build the trucks with whatever parts GM gives you, UAW made or not.

my gym is right beside the CAW headquarters in Willowdale. every time I pass by, I'll usually give them the finger. today I might add an extra loogey

Kind of the 'any press is good press' thinking? I can't see a strike being anything but a negative for GM...

it shows investors that the company isnt laying down... thats good press...

if a good deal is acheived, stocks will soar, again more press

many investors dont even know about upcoming models like the malibu, i recently read an article, slamming bob lutz for claiming that when he started... in 5 years gm would be the most technological automaker, and the article pushed, that its only evident in trucks and SUV's... they challenged lutz to take a seat in one of their lesser vehicles like a g6 or a cobalt and speak of technology...

but as gm preps to spend over 100 million on the launch of the malibu, any press is good press i think... get people thinking...

stocks are up today dispiate the strike...