Where is the Cobalt MCE?

It seems to be pretty standard among the automakers who replace their cars regularly to do an MCE for the fourth model year and replace after the fifth. That is to say:

Initial design model years: 2005, 6, 7

MCE design model years: 2008, 9

New generation: 2010, etc...

The 2008 Cobalt is out and there is no sign of an MCE. Are we getting one for 2009? Or is GM leaving it to rot on the vine like the Cavalier?

Delta II comes in '09

Gamma comes in 2009 so Im told . Cobalt is not a part of Delta 2 . The MCE was cancelled as far as I know , it was to be for 2008 .

The Cobalt isn't fundamentally a bad car. A tasteful MCE (unlike the Focus's) to make it seem "new" will keep it relevant. Maybe introduce a Cobalt Hybrid with a lean burn, Atkinson cycle, DI, or VVT 1.4 to 1.8, BAS, weight reduction, low-grip tires, and a $19,995 price, to make it "the cheapest hybrid in the world!" It can be a first-gen Civic Hybrid IMA with a weaker battery/motor. It might be as slow as hell, but at least GM will offer something for conservationists.

Edited by empowah

The Cobalt isn't fundamentally a bad car. A tasteful MCE (unlike the Focus's) to make it seem "new" will keep it relevant. Maybe introduce a Cobalt Hybrid with a lean burn, Atkinson cycle, DI, or VVT 1.4 to 1.8, BAS, weight reduction, low-grip tires, and a $19,995 price, to make it "the cheapest hybrid in the world!" It can be a first-gen Civic Hybrid IMA with a weaker battery/motor. It might be as slow as hell, but at least GM will offer something for conservationists.

+1

No, it just sucks and doesn't lead the pack in any way, and lacks in features. If a 1992 Cavalier VL (hard to believe that's now 16 years ago! Yipes!) had ABS standard, and yet the midlevel Cobalt 1LT only has it as an option, that is beyond the term "quite pitiful." Not only that, but the coupes don't even have an easy-entry front passenger's seat. The Cobalt may have some powerful engines and variety and a big trunk, but other than that, I really don't see that it has anything going for it, as its not that stylish, it doesn't excite me or most in any way, features and passenger room are lacking. Tone down the WTCC Ultra concept and make it look more normal, and make it the next Cobalt. And forego the tall car or ugly windows (or plug) ahead of the front doors, and we'll talk about a desirable compact car. And maybe add a 5-door station wagon and a few option packages.

No, it just sucks and doesn't lead the pack in any way, and lacks in features. If a 1992 Cavalier VL (hard to believe that's now 16 years ago! Yipes!) had ABS standard, and yet the midlevel Cobalt 1LT only has it as an option, that is beyond the term "quite pitiful." Not only that, but the coupes don't even have an easy-entry front passenger's seat. The Cobalt may have some powerful engines and variety and a big trunk, but other than that, I really don't see that it has anything going for it, as its not that stylish, it doesn't excite me or most in any way, features and passenger room are lacking. Tone down the WTCC Ultra concept and make it look more normal, and make it the next Cobalt. And forego the tall car or ugly windows (or plug) ahead of the front doors, and we'll talk about a desirable compact car. And maybe add a 5-door station wagon and a few option packages.

GM had ABS standard on just about everything 16 years ago, but unfortunately it was one of the first victims of decontenting to keep price down. I'm not saying I think it's right, but that was the reason. It would probably add $300-400 to the cost of the lower models in a market where keeping the sticker as low as possible is one of the priorities.

The $15,600 Corolla LE doesn't have ABS standard, either.

The Cobalt coupe does have an easy entry front passenger seat. At least mine does. It doesn't have an easy entry to the back seat on the driver's side. Is that what you're referring to?

The Cobalt does need an MCE, but it's not THAT bad. There is already Cobalt wagon - called HHR.

Oh really? That must only have been a 2005 thing then, the lack of an easy entry front seat then. I was sure that feature was on driver's sides too, but I haven't been in any coupes lately so I don't recall. I always the nifty little HHR as a crossover wagon that rivals the Dodge Caliber and is somewhat like the European Ford C-MAX, not as an actual station wagon.

Oh really? That must only have been a 2005 thing then, the lack of an easy entry front seat then. I was sure that feature was on driver's sides too, but I haven't been in any coupes lately so I don't recall. I always the nifty little HHR as a crossover wagon that rivals the Dodge Caliber and is somewhat like the European Ford C-MAX, not as an actual station wagon.

My '05 has an easy entry passenger seat.

They should have done something to change the front end, and maybe revised the rear bumper...something for '08. And why no announcement yet for the turbo? Is it possible they are not building an '08 Cobalt SS Turbo, is that the reason for the silence? Maybe the HHR Turbo announcement was made because that car will continue for a few years on the current platform, with the coupe and sedan being all-new in '09, with the SS Turbo coming then.

The current Malibu only had 4 years (2004-2007.) Won't the current Aura only have 4 years (2007-2010)?

Why can't the Cobalt?

The Cobalt will be 5 years (2005-2009). The new one is a 2010MY. The Aura will only have 3 model years (2007-2009). The new one is a '10MY.

Gamma comes in 2009 so Im told . Cobalt is not a part of Delta 2 . The MCE was cancelled as far as I know , it was to be for 2008 .

No, the Cobalt is definitely Delta II. Everyone has just assumed that because Lordstown is getting Gamma, the Cobalt is on Gamma. However, who says the Cobalt has to be built at Lordstown?

The Cobalt will be 5 years (2005-2009). The new one is a 2010MY. The Aura will only have 3 model years (2007-2009). The new one is a '10MY.

No, the Cobalt is definitely Delta II. Everyone has just assumed that because Lordstown is getting Gamma, the Cobalt is on Gamma. However, who says the Cobalt has to be built at Lordstown?

Isn't the next Cobalt, the Delta 2 one, a Daewoo? I think we've seen spy shots of it already.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with the Cobalt is that, while its not a bad car, its completely outclassed in nearly every way by the competition. In its current state, I would not choose the Cobalt over the new Mitsu Lancer.

Except for the persistent rumors that Mitsu may be pulling out of North America and Mitsu's perennial occupation of the lower rungs of the quality rankings, yeah, that's a great idea - buy the Lancer! :rolleyes:

I do agree, however, that the Cobalt needs a major facelift. We were just contemplating the Chevy line up last night (a slow night) and realized that other than the Malibu, there is nothing cheering coming any time soon. The Optra line up has been summarily dumped from '08. <_< That's great, considering I just bought one 3 months ago and even researched the '08s to make sure there were no major changes coming. I'm not impressed about that.

As usual, all the good news is over at Saturn these days. Chevrolet is getting slaughtered in Toronto. Good thing I may be making a switch to Saturn very soon! :AH-HA_wink:

Can't say more than that-the man hit it rght on the head.... :yes:

You got it. This is how GM plans to build a better Balt'-while actually making some money on it this time....

Balt started making money from end of 2006, Lutz said in one of the interviews. Regardless, it is glad to know that it is a delta.

Balt started making money from end of 2006, Lutz said in one of the interviews. Regardless, it is glad to know that it is a delta.

True, it has made money at times.

There's a good chance it won't make money since it will wilt on the vine until the new one rolls out....

Goods news is the HHR has been making money since it rolled out....

So as much as I'm not thrilled about it going there....it will help GM make some money....