New '08 Malibu Commercials

Flybrian

I think they are saying their cars have been ignored for too long. Its a comment about the people not

noticing not a comment on quality.

Its a matter of interpretation I suppose. Funny, but it should be more clear cut.

And why would you use a camry or accord? Almost a million people a year notice those enough to buy one.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

I think they're great!

The first ad will really click with the younger/yuppie set because it's simple and related to something a lot of them are into ( being physically fit) not to mention it's funny, so it'll stick and be remembered.

The second one isn't as cohesive but it's still good and it'll still stick out in peoples minds because they'll have to either see it twice or think about it a little to completely get the jist of it.

They're funny, especially the one with the jogger...but I'd like to see something with the '08 Malibu as the spotlight, instead of some random Oldsmobile from the 90s.

"Funny" doesn't always leave a lasting impression. Hopefully people will make the connection.

If they used a Camry half the country would think its a Camry commercial.

Besides, I think its saying that this Malibu stands out unlike previous models.

I think GM wants us to forget about the 2003-2007 models.

As a former 1998 Malibu LS owner, I resent that that car was boring. I still believe that it was the best mainstream car of the last 20 years.

It was good looking, peppy, sipped fuel, and handled well. What more do you need for a Chevy?

I guess ten years later we need better.

Of the two, I prefer the jogger.

I don't understand why GM wouldn't just use the 30 seconds to educate the public on the vehicle itself?? 6 standard airbags, standard OnStar, ABS, stabilitrack availability on all models, A 6-SPEED V6 and the HYBRID version.

I understand the message but it is hidden. Some people (myself included) look away during commercials. If the only thing I'm going to hear as I avert my eyes is "A car you can't ignore", then I've already missed the humour in it.

I think they are both a big missed opportunity.

:hissyfit:

~ janette

I agree 100% with you! Did you hear that? Hell has just frozen over! :smilewide:

Hmm looked like an homage to olds to me. A sad reminder perhaps of what was wrong then. But let me just see if I get this straight.

You would pick on a car that outsells the current malibu by 3X. And hope people don't walk up their street with their eyes open? :rolleyes:

Not to mention a company that has billions upon billions to spend any way they want. Honda and Toyota have their underoos all bunched up over each other.

Let them kill eachother and let the new Malibu take the high road.

I think they are saying their cars have been ignored for too long. Its a comment about the people not

noticing not a comment on quality.

Its a matter of interpretation I suppose. Funny, but it should be more clear cut.

And why would you use a camry or accord? Almost a million people a year notice those enough to buy one.

Hmm looked like an homage to olds to me. A sad reminder perhaps of what was wrong then. But let me just see if I get this straight.

You would pick on a car that outsells the current malibu by 3X. And hope people don't walk up their street with their eyes open? :rolleyes:

Not to mention a company that has billions upon billions to spend any way they want. Honda and Toyota have their underoos all bunched up over each other.

Let them kill eachother and let the new Malibu take the high road.

Why use the Camry or Accord? It's called Direct Advertising. Pepsi uses this type of advertising to great effect. They target the more popular opponent, as is how that type of advertising works.

The Camry and Accord have long been associated with bland/forgettable/blend-in-with-the-crows styling. Chevy should go after them saying that the Malibu doesn't blend in and isn't anonymous, and that you may actually pay attention to it's design.

Then you could use the same idea for the commercials and they would be far more effective than using a rebadged Malibu.

Also...I don't feel they chose the right person for the dialogue...it just doesn't seem to fit.

I don't understand why GM wouldn't just use the 30 seconds to educate the public on the vehicle itself?? 6 standard airbags, standard OnStar, ABS, stabilitrack availability on all models, A 6-SPEED V6 and the HYBRID version.

I understand the message but it is hidden. Some people (myself included) look away during commercials. If the only thing I'm going to hear as I avert my eyes is "A car you can't ignore", then I've already missed the humour in it.

~ janette

Do you sell car in UK or are you a British?

Why use the Camry or Accord? It's called Direct Advertising. Pepsi uses this type of advertising to great effect. They target the more popular opponent, as is how that type of advertising works.

The Camry and Accord have long been associated with bland/forgettable/blend-in-with-the-crows styling. Chevy should go after them saying that the Malibu doesn't blend in and isn't anonymous, and that you may actually pay attention to it's design.

Then you could use the same idea for the commercials and they would be far more effective than using a rebadged Malibu.

Also...I don't feel they chose the right person for the dialogue...it just doesn't seem to fit.

Coke and Pepsi isn't an apples to apples comparison. Also Dodgefan, you miss my point they would get slaughtered if they go tet a tet. :AH-HA_wink:

I think that's exactly why they didn't do that. Its hard to convincingly make all those facts known in 30 sec. That's what future ads are for and I look forward to them.

~ janette

I think it's because the public tends to tune out on things like that... Maybe on down the line they'll have informative commercials because they certainly need them. But for now GM needs to get the public emotionally involved with the car and that's why the ads focus on making the consumer laugh.

reminds me of the old "looks fast" celica commercial where the dog comes running acrros the street and smacks the drivers side. also funny.

I agree... I hate Toyota, but I LOVED that and the old man commercial.

Coke and Pepsi isn't an apples to apples comparison. Also Dodgefan, you miss my point they would get slaughtered if they go tet a tet. :AH-HA_wink:

It is in the sense that it is an example of that type of advertising and the one that came to mind quickly for an example. I don't know if it would be slaughtered...I think the Accord would beat it handily in the interior department but looks wise I don't think teh sedan is much of a looker...the Camry is nothing special inside or out...edmunds even admited that the Malibu's interior materials are bested only by the Accord. Maybe not compare teh Accord but I think comparing the Camry would be fair.

I see a dangerous precedent being set by saying our cars were boring before, but now they're not.

Well, they were boring. Most people (outside of car forums) wouldn't be able to tell you what that car was.

So in 3 years or so will this car be boring when GM moves to the next design fad? :rolleyes:

Who knows, it might be, but I doubt it.

I hope these are just introductory ads. GM needs to have ads that really highlight their product and it's features. Look at most Honda Accord ads, they spend the whole ad showing you the car. This makes it more recognizable and puts the image of the car in the mind of the buyer.

I think it's because the public tends to tune out on things like that... Maybe on down the line they'll have informative commercials because they certainly need them. But for now GM needs to get the public emotionally involved with the car and that's why the ads focus on making the consumer laugh.

I agree... I hate Toyota, but I LOVED that and the old man commercial.

"you in the red celica! Pull over!!!"

I agree with shesellschevys (by the seashore?). Ads like this are infuriating. The ad guys no doubt think this is clever, humorous advertising, but will it sell cars? I doubt it. The new Malibu is a clean sheet design, that should be showing its curves and angles for all 30 precious seconds of the ad. Instead, there's a less-than-three second teaser drawing at the end of the ad.

Let GM dealers determine the ad campaign for new models, not GM itself. GM is too easily sold on vague "image" advertising, while the dealers have to actually hustle to sell the product. LET CONSUMERS SEE THE PRODUCT!

2 very cheesy commercials. Why they didn't use a bland generic Camry instead is anyones guess. And the new Malibu is hardly a unique shape to be portrayed in this manner with it's Diamante taillights, plain bland side style and Euro/Asian like overall styling.

See, it still baffles me why SO many people, especially of the "GM crowd" aren't getting it.

Though I completely think that it should have been a Malibu of the same year and NOT a Cutlass (that's just...odd...), the POINT is to fully acknowledge that, with cars like that, they've been ignored again and again and again. And, even more so, a LOT of people who had either bad experiences or just scoffed at things like the 2 last gens of Malibus, now still have it ingrained in them that "that's what a Malibu is" and can't accept anything else. GM admits it, publicizes it, and says "THIS" is different, and not what everyone is stuck on thinking it "WAS".

It makes a great point, and it's nice to see this kind of advertising from GM. Don't get stuck on what they did in the past, specifically pointing to people who have proceeded to buy imports, etc. just "because" of that one dowdy, cheap car they see when they hear that certain name, and never actually realize what the current product is.

They need more thorough, clearer ads as well, that push a similar point, in coming time, that make it glaringly obvious, with more speaking, etc. Acknowledging a past foible that some people have never gotten over is more effective than just putting something new and different out and expecting people to naturally "come over".

I think that's exactly why they didn't do that. Its hard to convincingly make all those facts known in 30 sec. That's what future ads are for and I look forward to them.

Precisely. Right now it's just to get some of that quick, "available soon" interest going, with some quick spots that make the point quickly...THEN right before and when they start hitting lots, point out more specifics with features, pricing, etc.

These commercials won't help the Malibu convince Camry and Accord buyers to switch. The reason GM (wisely) doesn't use a Camry or an Accord in the commercial instead of the Cutlass is because the Japanese cars aren't in reality any more or less stylish than the new 'Bu. GM would look stupid putting one of those cars in because nobody would get the message.

Instead GM needs to show the new car and talk about reliability and quality and features and value. That's what has made the Camry and Accord a success over the last 20 years.

Another thing, I get the sinking feeling that GM is screwing up by using the Malibu name for its standard-bearer family offering. Impala has a much better heritage for that role, and the latest Impala sales figures are showing excellent progress. With higher fuel prices coming the Zeta Impala will ultimately be relegated to a lower profile in the lineup despite all the buzz. If this new Malibu fails like the Aura, GM would be better off renaming the upcoming Cobalt "Malibu," the EpII Malibu "Impala," and the upcoming Zeta "Caprice."

They're funny, especially the one with the jogger...but I'd like to see something with the '08 Malibu as the spotlight, instead of some random Oldsmobile from the 90s.

There are two levels I picked up on this commercial, and your comment skirts both of them.

First, it's a word called "anticipation." For far too long, car companies have been whetting the consumers' appetites for new vehicles by SHOWING them for months in advance. Is anyone else here old enough to remember when commercials used to say "coming" and NOT show a clean shot of the car? It would build anticipation for the new car, which I thought was great! Now commercials (and magazines) show the vehicles so far in advance that it does nothing more than delay sales of that company's cars. Potential Camry or Accord buyers aren't going to wait around for a new "mystery" Big3 product. And the potential Big3 buyers ARE going to wait until the new vehicle shows up before making a purchase, taking sales from year-end vehicles.

Second is the use of the Cutlass. That "random Cutlass from the 90s" is more like the direct sibling to the P90 Malibu, which makes me think that the advertising firm was either purposefully stating that GM's old designs were ignored and that the new vehicle's styling is worth noticing (which I'm hoping for) OR they picked a random generic vehicle that could not be traced to a competitive vehicle which would be considered BASHING and just happened to get the twin of the Malibu (which I'm hoping against). I don't think that GM's statement was that their good products were being ignored (because how many people here are going to defend the P90 Malibu/Cutlass as being "erroneously overlooked" in the marketplace?). I'm hoping that they're making a comment that their new products are worth noting and that only people in the know (like people on this site) would know that the Cutlass in the ad is the same vehicle as the Malibu from two generations ago.

This commercial could be offensive to owners of late 1990's GM midsize cars, which could alienate a core demographic. But overall they are good ads.

I don't see how. If they actually bought one of those cars and are happy, won't they be happy with a BETTER vehicle (which the ad eludes to)? If they didn't like the cars of the late 1990s, this ad would tell them "we're better now, come back and give us another look." It's a win-win. Edited by Hudson

These are pretty funny...a reminder how forgettable and dull most GMs of the last 2+ decades have been. The jogger one reminds me of a comment a friend of mine said years ago to describe a Ciera as a car 'so bland you could misplace it in an empty parking lot'.