Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flybrian

New '08 Malibu Commercials

39 posts in this topic

Way to make fun of he old Malibu (I know it's an Olds). It might be more effective it that was a Camry instead...otherwise these are kind of lame.

I think they are saying their cars have been ignored for too long. Its a comment about the people not

noticing not a comment on quality.

Its a matter of interpretation I suppose. Funny, but it should be more clear cut.

And why would you use a camry or accord? Almost a million people a year notice those enough to buy one.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

I think they're great!

The first ad will really click with the younger/yuppie set because it's simple and related to something a lot of them are into ( being physically fit) not to mention it's funny, so it'll stick and be remembered.

The second one isn't as cohesive but it's still good and it'll still stick out in peoples minds because they'll have to either see it twice or think about it a little to completely get the jist of it.

I think they are funny. People remember "funny".

Everyone know's (including GM) that their old designs were ... blah, and they are making fun of it.

If you can't laugh at yourself ...

They're funny, especially the one with the jogger...but I'd like to see something with the '08 Malibu as the spotlight, instead of some random Oldsmobile from the 90s.

"Funny" doesn't always leave a lasting impression. Hopefully people will make the connection.

i wonder how much that woman was paid to run into that n-body...

they're not laugh out loud funny... at least not more than a HA. but very *chuckle* funny.

If they used a Camry half the country would think its a Camry commercial.

Besides, I think its saying that this Malibu stands out unlike previous models.

I think GM wants us to forget about the 2003-2007 models.

As a former 1998 Malibu LS owner, I resent that that car was boring. I still believe that it was the best mainstream car of the last 20 years.

It was good looking, peppy, sipped fuel, and handled well. What more do you need for a Chevy?

I guess ten years later we need better.

Way to make fun of he old Malibu (I know it's an Olds). It might be more effective it that was a Camry instead...otherwise these are kind of lame.

I agree 100% with you! Did you hear that? Hell has just frozen over! :smilewide:

Love it! I got a laugh out of them, and I think its great they are using a model from the "old GM" in the ad campaign. Shows they know they made mistakes and they aren't doing it anymore.

Of the two, I prefer the jogger.

I don't understand why GM wouldn't just use the 30 seconds to educate the public on the vehicle itself?? 6 standard airbags, standard OnStar, ABS, stabilitrack availability on all models, A 6-SPEED V6 and the HYBRID version.

I understand the message but it is hidden. Some people (myself included) look away during commercials. If the only thing I'm going to hear as I avert my eyes is "A car you can't ignore", then I've already missed the humour in it.

I think they are both a big missed opportunity.

:hissyfit:

~ janette

reminds me of the old "looks fast" celica commercial where the dog comes running acrros the street and smacks the drivers side. also funny.

I agree 100% with you! Did you hear that? Hell has just frozen over! :smilewide:

Hmm looked like an homage to olds to me. A sad reminder perhaps of what was wrong then. But let me just see if I get this straight.

You would pick on a car that outsells the current malibu by 3X. And hope people don't walk up their street with their eyes open? :rolleyes:

Not to mention a company that has billions upon billions to spend any way they want. Honda and Toyota have their underoos all bunched up over each other.

Let them kill eachother and let the new Malibu take the high road.

I think they are saying their cars have been ignored for too long. Its a comment about the people not

noticing not a comment on quality.

Its a matter of interpretation I suppose. Funny, but it should be more clear cut.

And why would you use a camry or accord? Almost a million people a year notice those enough to buy one.

Hmm looked like an homage to olds to me. A sad reminder perhaps of what was wrong then. But let me just see if I get this straight.

You would pick on a car that outsells the current malibu by 3X. And hope people don't walk up their street with their eyes open? :rolleyes:

Not to mention a company that has billions upon billions to spend any way they want. Honda and Toyota have their underoos all bunched up over each other.

Let them kill eachother and let the new Malibu take the high road.

Why use the Camry or Accord? It's called Direct Advertising. Pepsi uses this type of advertising to great effect. They target the more popular opponent, as is how that type of advertising works.

The Camry and Accord have long been associated with bland/forgettable/blend-in-with-the-crows styling. Chevy should go after them saying that the Malibu doesn't blend in and isn't anonymous, and that you may actually pay attention to it's design.

Then you could use the same idea for the commercials and they would be far more effective than using a rebadged Malibu.

Also...I don't feel they chose the right person for the dialogue...it just doesn't seem to fit.

I don't know but I can't help laugh when I see anyone trip or fall. Doesn't matter who or when I just bust out laughing.

But thats just me. :lol:

I don't understand why GM wouldn't just use the 30 seconds to educate the public on the vehicle itself?? 6 standard airbags, standard OnStar, ABS, stabilitrack availability on all models, A 6-SPEED V6 and the HYBRID version.

I understand the message but it is hidden. Some people (myself included) look away during commercials. If the only thing I'm going to hear as I avert my eyes is "A car you can't ignore", then I've already missed the humour in it.

~ janette

Do you sell car in UK or are you a British?

Well if that isnt a kick in the crotch to all those Oldsmobile owners who bout the 1997-1999 Cutlass. Only GM: Only GM is supid enough to make fun at its own products.

Why use the Camry or Accord? It's called Direct Advertising. Pepsi uses this type of advertising to great effect. They target the more popular opponent, as is how that type of advertising works.

The Camry and Accord have long been associated with bland/forgettable/blend-in-with-the-crows styling. Chevy should go after them saying that the Malibu doesn't blend in and isn't anonymous, and that you may actually pay attention to it's design.

Then you could use the same idea for the commercials and they would be far more effective than using a rebadged Malibu.

Also...I don't feel they chose the right person for the dialogue...it just doesn't seem to fit.

Coke and Pepsi isn't an apples to apples comparison. Also Dodgefan, you miss my point they would get slaughtered if they go tet a tet. :AH-HA_wink:

I think that's exactly why they didn't do that. Its hard to convincingly make all those facts known in 30 sec. That's what future ads are for and I look forward to them.

~ janette

I think it's because the public tends to tune out on things like that... Maybe on down the line they'll have informative commercials because they certainly need them. But for now GM needs to get the public emotionally involved with the car and that's why the ads focus on making the consumer laugh.

reminds me of the old "looks fast" celica commercial where the dog comes running acrros the street and smacks the drivers side. also funny.

I agree... I hate Toyota, but I LOVED that and the old man commercial.

Coke and Pepsi isn't an apples to apples comparison. Also Dodgefan, you miss my point they would get slaughtered if they go tet a tet. :AH-HA_wink:

It is in the sense that it is an example of that type of advertising and the one that came to mind quickly for an example. I don't know if it would be slaughtered...I think the Accord would beat it handily in the interior department but looks wise I don't think teh sedan is much of a looker...the Camry is nothing special inside or out...edmunds even admited that the Malibu's interior materials are bested only by the Accord. Maybe not compare teh Accord but I think comparing the Camry would be fair.

Saw the commercials a few times tonight watching the ALCS game on FOX. Loved it when the jogger runs into the Cutlass AGAIN! :lol:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room