2009 Pontiac Vibe

2009 PONTIAC VIBE
Press Release & Image Gallery
Posted Image

• All-new version of one of the segment’s most popular small crossovers
  • Return of the AWD and GT models
  • 1.8L and 2.4L engines produce more power and torque without sacrificing fuel economy
  • Revised exterior/interior design augments vehicle functionality
  • Enhanced standard safety features

REDESIGNED 2009 PONTIAC VIBE MOVES TO NEW BEAT, OFFERS STYLISH FUNCTIONALITY IN SMALL CROSSOVER

DETROIT – The all-new 2009 Pontiac Vibe is a modern re-mix of a classic hit, infusing the functionality of a compact crossover with a bolder attitude of muscular styling, increased performance and tight handling. It arrives in dealer showrooms in early 2008.

Adding a richer harmony to the tune, the popular all-wheel-drive and GT models return to the Vibe lineup. Regardless of the model, each Vibe offers a level of athletic design, boosted performance and everyday versatility uncommon in the price range.

“With the 2009 Vibe, we knew we wanted to take everything we liked about the original and push it to the next level - more power, more style, more versatility,” said Craig Bierley, Pontiac marketing director. “It has the interior room and cargo capability expected of a larger SUV, but with the precise handling characteristics you would expect from any Pontiac.”

The 2009 Vibe includes a number of all-new and enhanced features, including:
  • More powerful 1.8L base engine and a new, high-output 2.4L engine (optional on the base model, standard on the AWD and GT)
  • Athletic exterior styling with a faster windshield, all-new sheet metal and lighting elements
  • Refreshed, driver-focused interior styling with more harmonious integration of the controls
  • Standard electronic vehicle stability control and tire pressure monitoring systems
  • Six standard air bags
  • Enhanced functionality with integrated cargo management system and fold-flat front seat

Engine performance

Packing more off-the-line power than ever before, the ’09 Vibe delivers the type of responsive performance needed to safely navigate those unexpected everyday driving situations. A 132-horsepower (98 kW) 1.8L DOHC four-cylinder is standard on base models and delivers 128 lb.-ft. (174 Nm) of torque. The engine benefits from dual variable valve timing, optimizing both performance and efficiency, and is matched to a standard five-speed manual transmission or optional four-speed automatic.

Customers desiring higher performance can opt for the larger, 2.4L DOHC engine with 158 horsepower (118 kW) and 162 lb.-ft. (224 Nm) of torque. The 2.4L engine is standard on AWD and GT models, and is optional on the base model.

A four-speed automatic transmission is standard on the AWD. Customers of the 2.4L-equipped base or GT models can choose between a standard five-speed manual transmission or a new, five-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission featuring Driver Shift Control (DSC), which delivers a great combination of performance, fuel economy and smoothness. With DSC, the driver can manually select gears via tap up/tap down controls.

Fuel economy

With the 1.8L engine and the standard manual transmission, EPA fuel economy is estimated at 26 mpg in the city and 32 mpg on the highway; with the automatic, fuel economy is estimated at 25 in the city and 31 on the highway.

The 2.4L engine on the GT is estimated at 21 mpg in the city and 28 on the highway with the manual transmission and 21 city/29 highway with the five-speed automatic. On the AWD model, the 2.4L/four-speed automatic combination delivers an estimated 20 mpg in the city and 26 on the highway.

Ride and handling

Driving dynamics of the new Vibe have been refined to deliver a responsive driving experience, with a special focus on reduced noise, vibration and harshness. An array of chassis control systems enhances ride and handling, as well as safety.

The Vibe has a body-integral structure with underbody rails running from front to rear, giving the structure exceptional strength and a strong foundation on which to anchor the suspension systems. All models employ a MacPherson-strut front suspension design. The base model has a torsion-beam rear suspension that is revised for a more comfortable ride, while the AWD and GT models use a multi-link independent rear suspension for even sharper responses and enhanced driving control.

Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS are standard on all models, as is electronic stability control and traction control. Steering control is augmented with an electric power steering system, providing variable-effort performance and (because there is no engine-driven power steering pump) enhanced fuel economy.

Exterior design

The Vibe has the looks to back up its performance. With a lean, athletic form, the Vibe’s new exterior exemplifies the future of Pontiac’s design - clean, purposeful shapes and a decidedly sophisticated aesthetic. The new Vibe’s appearance melds the space-enabling design of a small SUV with a forward-looking profile, furthering the groundbreaking design pioneered by the original Vibe, launched in 2002.

All of the sheet metal is new, with minimal gaps that reinforce the Vibe’s tailored appearance. A faster windshield angle contributes to the sleeker look, while large wheels and minimal overhangs give the vehicle an aggressive, firmly planted stance.

“The new Vibe’s design is sporty yet completely functional,” said Ron Aselton, chief designer. “Clean lines, minimal overhangs and wheels pushed to the corners give the vehicle a muscular stance.”

Vibe’s three models - base, AWD and GT - are distinguished from one another with unique styling cues. For example, the AWD features a standard roof rack perfect for outdoor activities. The GT has its own front fascia - with larger fog lamps and lower-fascia air intake - rocker moldings, roof spoiler and a bright exhaust tip. All models offer distinctive wheel options.

Interior design and features

Like the exterior, the ’09 Vibe’s interior is all-new and has a driver-focused cockpit design more common to sports cars. The controls and gauges were redesigned for easier use, but retain a performance-oriented look and feel; and the interior quality and craftsmanship are reflected in class-leading gap/flush tolerances.

Interior material refinement is also stepped up a notch in the new Vibe, with a combination of low-gloss materials, varied grains on the instrument panel and other trim components, and satin-metal accents. New, knit-fabric seating surfaces are durable and have a premium look, while GT models are enhanced with standard leather-trimmed seats, three-spoke steering wheel and shift knob. Seating for five is standard on all models.

The Vibe’s interior also is loaded with standard amenities not typically found in other vehicles in the segment, including a steering column with telescoping/rake adjustability; a 115-volt, three-prong auxiliary power outlet, six-way adjustable driver’s seat and front active headrests.

Audio systems

All Vibe models come with an AM/FM radio with CD and XM Satellite Radio. The XM band is integrated for seamless switching between all three signal bands. An auxiliary audio input jack is standard, too, allowing the MP3 players and other portable devices to play through the Vibe’s speakers.

A four-speaker sound system is standard on Vibe base and AWD models. True audiophiles can step up to a premium Monsoon™ 320-watt audio system, including MP3 capability and seven-speaker sound. The Monsoon system is standard on GT models and available on base and AWD as part of the Sun and Sound package.

Cargo versatility

Vibe’s roomy interior provides generous storage space for all kinds of stuff, starting with a 60/40-split rear seat that folds flat to create 49.4 cubic feet (1,399 L) behind the front seats. Rubberized cargo floor strips help prevent items from sliding. Additional storage solutions are offered from an oversized glove box, an overhead console, a dual-tier center console and other integrated cubby holes located throughout the vehicle.

A rear cargo compartment storage organizer is standard on all models equipped with a 2.4L engine (optional with the 1.8L engine) and provides an almost unlimited number of cargo solutions, thanks to a multitude of hooks and net-divided compartments. It also conveniently folds into the floor when not in use. Vibes equipped with the 2.4L engine also come with a fold-flat front passenger seat that expands the interior’s storage versatility - for times when you need to haul a ladder, small kayak or other long items.

Wheels and tires

Sixteen-inch wheels and touring tires are standard on base and AWD models. Seventeen-inch aluminum wheels are also available on these models, featuring a bright machine finish on the base model and chrome-clad finish on the AWD. The Vibe GT comes standard with 18-inch bright machine finish aluminum wheels and 215/45-series all-season performance tires.

Safety

The new Vibe was designed from the outset to be one of the segment’s safest vehicles, with a comprehensive system of design and technology features that help protect occupants before, during and after a crash event. Standard features include:
  • StabiliTrak electronic vehicle stability system
  • Tire pressure monitoring system
  • Dual-stage frontal air bags with a passenger sensing system
  • Head curtain side air bags
  • Side thorax air bags for the front passengers
  • Active head restraints
  • Three-point safety belts in all seating positions
  • Front safety belt retractors
  • Rear-seat LATCH child safety seat provisions in all three seating positions
  • OnStar
The standard OnStar system’s digital equipment includes enhanced hands-free voice recognition capabilities, including more intuitive continuous digit dialing and improved voice recognition accuracy. Using the GPS satellite network and wireless technology, OnStar features core safety services and OnStar Hands-Free Calling, which allows drivers to make and receive voice-activated phone calls.

Vibe history

Introduced in 2002 as a ’03 model, the Pontiac Vibe was an immediate hit with customers who sought a contemporary, roomy utility vehicle that was also efficient. Sales topped 39,000 in that abbreviated first-year and continued to climb in the years after - reaching more than 64,000 in 2005. By the end of calendar-year 2007, total Vibe sales will number approximately 300,000.

Image Gallery - Vibe Base
Posted Image

Image Gallery - Vibe AWD
Posted Image
Posted Image

Image Gallery - Vibe GT
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

I just really cannot believe how poorly-equipped this car is on paper. I understand Toyota buyers are neither as demanding nor intelligent enough to understand that these things have been standard on many entry-level cars for about three decades now, but c'mon. We're talking about domestic customers here.

the return of the gt and awd and new engine. all welcome.

the odd thing is even though they say its all new, it's like the corolla or altima, it looks terribly similar the model before it.

the side windows look near identical, even though the sheetmetal is obviously changed. the dash has been revised, but everything is in the exact same spot and even the vents are the same seemingly.

the vibe exists because its 300k sales. it prolly shouldn't be a pontiac but no way are they going to mess with that. it brings women to the brand.

the mpg doesn't seem good and some options seem like it will get spendy. so many of these small crossovers barely get 20mpg. so we'll have a pricey small crossover with poor mpg. doesn't make sense but pontiac is not the only one.

i've always liked the vibe so i may check this out when it arrives. it is cooler than the awful matrix, but the toyotaness on the interior is offputting.

Edited by regfootball

Talk about one giant leap back for GM design. I thought they were past putting out misses in between great product launches. Oh well I guess the flops are at least getting fewer in number. Look at the recent product launches.

GMT 900s (solid)

Aura (not a huge response but a solid car)

Outlook/Acadia/Enclave (solid hit)

CTS (out of the park)

Malibu (excellent probably will be out of the park)

... and this.

I am sorry but whoever buys this.... what a waste of steel.

Edited by radioactivesob

The styling is regressive, especially the rear. And why is Toyota suddenly embracing thick rear pillars now on all their new vehicles? The Scion xB and FJ have huge blind spots, and it appears the new Matrix as well as this also do. On the bright side for Pontiac, I think this will sell well and give BPG dealers badly needed sales to people who probably otherwise won't buy a GM vehicle.

Fuel economy for the 1.8s are the same as last year's, except for manual versions on the highway - down from 33 to 32 MPG.

Actually, it's probably the same. The new formulas to rate fuel economy started with the '08s and just about everything is down around 2 mpgs. So, if you see one that equals last year's figures, they're getting better mileage.

Looking head on, the front looks pretty sharp.

Actually, it's probably the same. The new formulas to rate fuel economy started with the '08s and just about everything is down around 2 mpgs. So, if you see one that equals last year's figures, they're getting better mileage.

Looking head on, the front looks pretty sharp.

No, I'm comparing '09s to '08s (not '07s).

the return of the gt and awd and new engine. all welcome.

the odd thing is even though they say its all new, it's like the corolla or altima, it looks terribly similar the model before it.

the side windows look near identical, even though the sheetmetal is obviously changed. the dash has been revised, but everything is in the exact same spot and even the vents are the same seemingly.

the vibe exists because its 300k sales. it prolly shouldn't be a pontiac but no way are they going to mess with that. it brings women to the brand.

the mpg doesn't seem good and some options seem like it will get spendy. so many of these small crossovers barely get 20mpg. so we'll have a pricey small crossover with poor mpg. doesn't make sense but pontiac is not the only one.

i've always liked the vibe so i may check this out when it arrives. it is cooler than the awful matrix, but the toyotaness on the interior is offputting.

The Vibe and Corolla are the same as the models before them, the Altima just looks like it is. The previous Corolla was the E12, the Vibe and Matrix introduced a wide-track version dubbed E13. The new Corollas are E14s, retaining most of the E12 design, with updated styling and engines. The 5-seat MPV (xB aka Corolla Rumion succeeding the Corolla Spacio) and the hatchbacks (The Auris succeeding the Runx/Allex and the new Toyopet Blade version) switch from the standard to the wide-track E15, and the longer 6-window semi-wagon Matrix and Vibe get updated styling on a wide-track body virtually unchanged from the E13 (dimensions are almost identical with an increase in cargo room at the expense of passenger space).

E12 A—E14 A (JDM Corolla Axio [sedan], Fielder [wagon] and former Runx [hatch])

E12 B—E15 B (Allex to Auris hatch [succeeding Corolla Runx in export markets])

new—E15 C (Blade [premium 2.4 L hatch for Toyopet and Toyota channels])

E12 F—E15 F 5-seat MPV (Corolla Spacio to Corolla Rumion/xB)

E12 G—E14 G (cosmetically longer Asian/NA sedan [replaces both E12 A and E12 G outside Japan])

E13 A—E15 D? (Corolla Matrix)

E13 B—E15 E? (Vibe)

E13 C? (lwb Corolla Verso 7-seat MPV)

The switch to separate standard and wide-body model codes has caused no end of confusion, with many people assuming the E12 G is an E13, or that the E14 is the E13 etc.

Well, the Vibe serves it's purpose. It's cheap, good on gas and won't burn anyones eyes. So the bottom line is Pontiac has 3 vehicles on its lot that can get people into the showrooms, Solstice, Vibe & G8. All the others will make folks gag!!!!

The G6 isn't bad lookind but needs an update. Actually I like the new Vibe, just wish there was less Toyota-ness, I like it enough if for 20K I can get a stripped GT and a 5spd (w/cruise!). I might do that instead of a Torrent. (I don't want no pussy 1.8 nor a f*cking automatic if you buy a car this small get a stick!) Actually it looks to be a pretty good hauler! This thing will sell to Toyota buyers too, who think the new Matrix is ugly. Getting them into a domestic showroom is a big deal.

Do we know pricing? Also on the Pontiac website it says DIRECT INJECTION, to maximize power and efficeny. Would a direct ignition do that much? Most cars have direct ignition as opposed to a points style distributor. That is old news if they are advertisng about direct ignition, I hope they are but anyways, that wouldn't stop me from getting one. I hope all the prices drop.

Edited by gm4life

Looks pretty good and I might have to look into one. Someone rear ended my son's Corolla when I was driving it last week. Yesterday, the insurance adjuster said it was a write off despite the fact we have a new engine in the damn thing. We will be lucky to get $1000 even thought the blue book is higher. Most likely we will look into used Vibes, G6, Cobalts, HHR and maybe Azteks (resale value suck but we can get one really cheap) and (yuck)Aveos. For the members that own these vehicles what has been your experience? Remember he is college bound next year so we want something reliable and safe with a minimum of monthly payments. There go my plans to buy a Vette once more. He really likes the Vibe but a new one is just too expensive for his first car. I would also consider a Ford or Chrysler, but no more imports from the big three.

Love the styling (Mazda3 undertones notwithstanding, even though Pontiac initially inspired them)...

But I really hoped for it to be all-American. The Toyota lumps are especially disappointing when one would think Ecotecs could have been shoehorned right in.

ETN: The fanboy in me wonders if a GXP with GM's turbo four could work.

Edited by LosAngeles