Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cory Wolfe

How Do You Define Being An Enthusiast?

34 posts in this topic

What is your definition of a car enthusiast? What do you think makes someone a car enthusiast?

I was just wondering how everyone interprets that.

I think it's a pretty broad category...you have gearheads, design enthusiasts, people that are more into the future tech / trend side of things, etc. Anybody that oogles over any aspect of the car is considered an enthusiast in my book.

There are many aspects, one of which I feel is someone who has actually worked on their own car aside from an oil change.

i see two distinct groups.. a person could be one, the other or both...

the first are those who are more into new cars, study the auto rags, and read all the reviews

the other are the grease monkey gear heads.. id like to say im both (but more towards the gear head)

There are many aspects, one of which I feel is someone who has actually worked on their own car aside from an oil change.

Well, as long as changing an air filter, jacking up & removing a flat tire, and checking/topping off fluids count, then I'm an enthusiast! :lol:

I'm definitely not a gearhead. When I read car/truck mags, I generally skip over the parts about engine & transmissions just because I don't understand all the technical parts. I'm not "mechanically inclined" but can tell certain things about engines (as long as I've been reading up on the particualr models).

In my book, a car enthusiast is someone that enjoys the hobby in some way and doesn't look at vehicles as appliances & a method of getting from Point A to Point B. If you have passion for one car or multiple, then to me your an enthusiast. Just because I use the dealership to change my oil or can't get into deep discussions about an engine rebuild doesn't make me less of an enthusiast... it's just not the stuff that excites me about this hobby. And choosing to drive an automatic over a manual transmission or front-wheel drive over rear-wheel drive shouldn't matter too.

I agree that you can be considered an enthusiast in many different ways. Someone who really likes to look at cars, study them, etc., can be considered an enthusiast, as well as someone who loves to work on their own car. Someone who loves to spiritedly drive their car, as well, could be considered a car enthusiast.

Masturbating while fantasizing of having sex with Scarlett Johansson on the beach, when she is sitting naked by you on the beach.

That is called Masturbating Enthusiast.

On a similar tone, can be a car enthusiast. :smilewide:

Edited by smallchevy

Don't do that too much, or you'll get a scarlet johnson. Ouch.:smilewide:

I like performance and driving feel, but I am less mechanically inclined than some enthusiasts. I have, at some point, changed oil (used to do it all the time), changed serpentine belts, rebuilt a couple of one-barrel carburetors for my Corvair, and I've done a couple of tune-ups on my own vehicles. Nothing internal to an engine, transmission or differential. I've seen those things being done lots of times. Of course I've torn down vehicles to write collision estimates at work.

I like to keep up, by reading everything I can, on the latest stuff coming. I try to keep current. I hope I have pretty good taste. I am very interested in design, and tend to gravitate toward car companies that build on a design heritage, rather than throwing everything out with each successive generation of a given model.

My lifelong love, or enthusiastic interest, has been for GM. I try not to be blindly biased against other manufacturers... except Toyota. I am proud to be blindly biased against them because of their products and their corporate attitude.

Yup... that's a big one. A TRUE enthusiast opens his hood just to

stare @ his motor and tinker, not just once a month to check his

oil & refill the windshield washer fluid.

To me, an auto enthusiast is someone who simply acknowledges vehicles around him or her. When I was a car jockey in a major hotel years ago, it was shocking the number of people who couldn't even remember the model of the car they were driving: "It's blue..." they would offer.

An enthusiast can have a favorite make, but they would be generally aware of other makes as well. I would argue that to be an enthusiast you would have to have a working knowledge of the mechanical principles of a vehicle, but don't necessarily work on them. Too many people live in apartments or condos these days (guilty!) and don't have the means (or the time) to work on their vehicles any more. I can't even wash my own car any more!

I am a Mopar freak when it comes to old cars (50s-60s), but GM fan when it comes to more recent vehicles.

for me, working on my car is thereputic... thats how i come down... i still have a lot to learn, but its alot of fun...

mike--- (who should be outside finishing his motor swap)

Anyone who can keep their car clean and not have to go through a car wash everytime is an enthusiast.

I was looking at cars on the highway on thursday...NO ONE WASHES THEIR CAR ANYMORE!!! no matter how expensive, they are all dirty.

Anyone who can keep their car clean and not have to go through a car wash everytime is an enthusiast.

I was looking at cars on the highway on thursday...NO ONE WASHES THEIR CAR ANYMORE!!! no matter how expensive, they are all dirty.

but depending on where you drive, more and more urban dwellers don't have access to their own driveways. Hell, some municipalities are banning car washing in your own driveway!

I used to wash my '87 Shadow ES all the time by hand - and wax it two or three times a year. Now, the building I live in has no wash bay and no water tap (I used to sneak downstairs in the last building I lived in and hook up my own hose to their tap). I hate spending $10 for a wash, then having it snow the next friggin' day! :censored:

What is your definition of a car enthusiast? What do you think makes someone a car enthusiast?

I was just wondering how everyone interprets that.

I find there are many different LEVELS of "car enthusiasts".

Guys who read magazines and floor their cars on open roads *might* be considered "car enthusiasts" to some.

Guy's who rebuild their own engines *might* be considered "car enthusiasts" to some.

It depends what you are looking for I guess. "Enthusiast" is a realllllly broad term.

A TRUE car enthusiast should be interested in all aspects of their automotive interests IMO. Which means tossing emblems and brand names aside and focusing on the actual automobiles.

That's MY prerequisite for a TRUE "automobile enthusiast".

It's about the machine, not blind brand allegiance.

:AH-HA_wink:

Guys who read magazines and floor their cars on open roads *might* be considered "car enthusiasts" to some.

Guy's who rebuild their own engines *might* be considered "car enthusiasts" to some.

It depends what you are looking for I guess. "Enthusiast" is a realllllly broad term.

A TRUE car enthusiast should be interested in all aspects of their automotive interests IMO. Which means tossing emblems and brand names aside and focusing on the actual automobiles.

I like that answer.

well this is Long Island. Everyone is able to wash their own cars.

driving on the Expressway, anytime of day... every car is filthy...people :rolleyes:

I think it's a pretty broad category...you have gearheads, design enthusiasts, people that are more into the future tech / trend side of things, etc. Anybody that oogles over any aspect of the car is considered an enthusiast in my book.

Those two answers are about as perfect as it gets for defining an enthusiast.

Edited by Dodgefan

Defining an enthusiast? Well, I mainly just look at my grandfather, my father and me when I need any definition on the subject. I've inherited my family's fierce streak for auto-enthusiasm.

I inhereted my love for the B-bodies from my late father. Though I dont really do a lot of my own work on them I still think I am an enthusiest. I get excited to drive either of my 2 when I can.

An enthusiast? Someone like me, who has been obsessed with cars since as far back as I can remember. My parents both recount tales of driving me around as a toddler and being able to name almost any car on the road (before I knew how to read) dont ask me how, I couldnt tell you how I did it. An enthusiast is someone who learns how to drive at 5 years old because he wont stop begging his dad to let him until his father finally caves in....thus learning how to drive in a 1985 Pontiac Sunbird and 1985 Mustang...lol. And enthusiast is someone who waits at the mailbox every month for his new Motor Trend, VW Trends, Car and Driver and Hot Rod (as a child). An enthusiast is someone who has written off NASCAR as a result of it being a lie. Non stock cars competing does not interest me. Seeing real Monte Carlo, a real Charger etc doing the Daytona 500, like they would have in the old days? now thats fun to watch. An enthusiast is someone who cuts school to work on his first car, but wont cut his autobody class in the mornings. An enthusiast is someone who will drive over an hour once or twice a week to wash his car at a particular self service wash he likes. An enthusiast is someone who cant go more than a couple hours without thinking about a car or a car brand. An enthusiast is someone that goes online and joins a site like C&G and sticks around, because at the end of the day....he's an enthusiast :AH-HA_wink:

Edit: I could go on and on about myself and what makes me an enthusiast, but I think we all have our own "little" things that make us one, it's not something that can be classified with a simple answer ( as others have stated)

Edited by Delta Force79

Anyone that would get their car up the tail pipe? :blink:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0