So that's what the G stands for...

The G means little other than it is easy and cheap to get registered till the marketing people find a way to attach a meaning to it.

No one at GM has to be affraid to offend anyone with Banshee or have pay the SCCA for the use of Trans Am. With the way names are registered by different people for many different things today you can owe money for just about any thing anymore.

A good example is Gene Simmons of Kiss found the Money Bag drawing from the Monopoly game was not registered and he now owns it as a trademark. Now anyone that is to use this drawing has to pay him royalties.

Marketing likes to make up names and meanings to suit thir needs too like some of the names in the past like Fiero. In 1984 It ment Proud in Italillan per Pontiac marketing. But the same name on a Firebird Aero Concept named the Firebird Fiero in 1968/69 ment FIrebird aERO concept. No proud Itallian was mentioned back then.

And outside of Chrysler who else ever had Corintian Leather?

Edited by hyperv6

eye H8 alfaNumeRiX

If I had my way the only one that would still use alphanumerics would be the STS,

but it would still also carry the Seville emblem on the trunk as well at the STS.

HHR is super lame, that should have been the "Apachee" or "Master Deluxe"

I could do with out the G anme but it has come time to start with new names at Pontiac. Just as they did in the 50's when they brought the company back from where many said it would never recover.

The names Like Grand Prix and Bonneville play well for the PONCHO fans but to the many who owned that Grand Am that rusted out, or that Bonneville that lost a cam in it's 301 or better yet the Grand Prix whos doors sagged so much they would not shut any more bring back memories to many people GM would rather forget. To few today have ever owned a GTO or 421 62 Cat let alone a Bonneville GXP let alone even considered driving one for the many years of cars that just never measured up.

For Pontiac to survive they need more than the few Pontiac fans left to buy cars. If caddy can dump the Seville, Eldorado and Diville Pontiac can come up with some new names or unused show car names that hold some Heritage but with some freash newness to bring to the line up.

Banshee, Rampage, Bandit Peguses or even lesser known used names like Can Am, 2+2 or even Catalina may have been gone long enough for a fresh spin. I am drawing a blank on some of the better show cars names right now, I can get my prototype book to get the better ones but I think you get the idea. A little old and a little new to bring a fresh out look and no ill preconcieved notions to the new fresh line up.

Most of Pontiac's past drivers are in Nissan and Toyota today because of bad memories of past Pontiacs. When they see these old names they see a dead cars or a expensive problem not Super Dutys or a Judge. They see a G body Bonneville that never lived up to it's promise of Excitment or quality.

Edited by hyperv6

When you think about it, the Sun*ir* had 4 generatios, the Grand Am had 5, and the Grand Prix had 7, so G meaning Generation makes sense.

Until the next generation of each model comes about.

Stupid move. That means they would have multiple cars with the same names. 2 generations later the G6 becomes G8 then people will go WTF.

Stupid move. That means they would have multiple cars with the same names. 2 generations later the G6 becomes G8 then people will go WTF.

While I don't agree with it, I think while Pontiac is in this state of transition it's okay for these alphanumerics to be used. I'd rather have G6 than it use and abuse the name "Catalina" or "Ventura". The historial naming scheme just doesn't work in our current trendy society - Grand Prix; Grand Am, Trans Am, Can Am, Bonneville, LeMans, etc. They are all race-inspired names and while Pontiac is known for "action and excitement", I think a new interpretation needs to be made. Look at weather-related names to coincide with the ones Pontiac is already using successfully: Solstice and Torrent. Tempest, Surge, and Typhoon are good names to reconsider. Typhoon was used by GMC and represented the sportiest and best performing SUV they offered. Tempest is a gloried Pontiac name but has been missing for quite some time now. Captiva (a modified form of captive, meaning "somebody gripped by a strong emotion such as love or anger"), which is now being used by Opel/Vuaxhall also fits in with the suggested theme. There are so many other words to use for names, but Pontiac needs to bring out vehicles worthy of a good name. For now, the G8 is acceptable as "G8" in my books and I'm expecting the NA-designed replacement in two years to officially earn a name.