Newbiewar

US aid in Domestic automakers?

95 posts in this topic

Well, looking at Delphi... looking at UAW... looking at GM's north american financial situation... At what point is it a better financial decision for the government to aid the domestic automakers? The question, when GM, Ford, or Chyrsler file for Bankrupsy... how much will it cost the governement? How much will the unemployement tab run up? If the governement must foot the bill for 1 million employees that used to be making 60k a year for the last 15-20 years, how much will it cost them, (us Citizens)? How much will it cost the government(tax payers) to release GM of all its debt? I'm assuming we are talking about nearly 500 billion dollars might barely cover it all... just for GM... If they were to go bankrupt... And if that were the case, the Domestics started going under... then what realistically can we expect to see of the ecconomy? inflation? taxes? At what point is it a better financial decision for the government to aid the domestic automakers? And at what point is it too late? Where is that turning point Is it now? Is now the invenstment time the government needs to step in? or is it already a lost cause? Has GM been sleeping for too long, that they have already failed in the public's eye?

As much as I hate to say it...the government might want to think about it. If you look at the airline industry...lots of good jobs are being lost. The industry is falling apart, and is only going to get worst. As the goverment, would you rather spend now or spend later?

I was reading an article about 2 months ago that stated if GM were to go bankrupt that the entire US economy would crash. They also said that the government will eventually have to step in and help out with health care and pension costs.

I was reading an article about 2 months ago that stated if GM were to go bankrupt that the entire US economy would crash.  They also said that the government will eventually have to step in and help out with health care and pension costs.

[post="29961"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I guess thats my question... What would it do to us as citizens... how crucial is GM to our ecconomy? Would the crash of GM make things similar to the great depression? or worse?

What would it do for us as citizens? What would todays dollar become without GM? What would the world be like? If the US ecconomy collapsed, we wouldnt be the worlds largest automotive industry any more... That would financially hurt many other countrys (japan & germany) and one bankruspy would probably send the other two US automakers down the same tubes if Americans stopped buying cars in the same portions...

when will the government step in? hopefully before its too late...

I guess thats my question... What would it do to us as citizens... how crucial is GM to our ecconomy? Would the crash of GM make things similar to the great depression? or worse?

I would certainly hope so. (VENGENCE would be mine) But I doubt it would crash the economy... Would it cause negative effects on the economy, absolutely. But I don't think it would crash the economy.

when will the government step in? hopefully before its too late...

Probably never... I think if the government were actually going to do something and not be apathetic and oblivious to all our problems, they would've done it by now.

I would certainly hope so. (VENGENCE would be mine) But I doubt it would crash the economy... Would it cause negative effects on the economy, absolutely. But I don't think it would crash the economy.
Probably never... I think if the government were actually going to do something and not be apathetic and oblivious to all our problems, they would've done it by now.

They have been too busy the last few years burning through billions of dollars in the hopeless bottomless pit that is Iraq.. :(

The US government should get off its asses plain and simple! They should provide healthcare as Canada does. Healthcare is the expense in these companies. GM has the highest healthcare spending in the US.. believe it!

First, Canada pays very little for healthcare, it's not a federal jurisdiction, it's provincial. The provinces have control over healthcare and pay for healthcare through very high taxes, monthly premiums and userfees on it's people and most provinces can't afford it. Only Alberta is rich enough to pay for it and has the best healthcare in Canada and even it charges about 35.00 per month per person in premiums to access that so called free healthcare. And it's incredibly expensive and full of waste. Canadians don't have much of a case telling Americans what to do with healthcare when their system is a mess. Edited by HarleyEarl

First, Canada pays very little for healthcare, it's not a federal jurisdiction, it's provincial.  The provinces have control over healthcare and pay for healthcare through very high taxes, monthly premiums and userfees on it's people and most provinces can't afford it.  Only Alberta is rich enough to pay for it and has the best healthcare in Canada and even it charges about 35.00 per month per person in premiums to access that so called free healthcare.  And it's incredibly expensive and full of waste.  Canadians don't have much of a case telling Americans what to do with healthcare when their system is a mess.

I've had the pub debate over US vs. Canadian healthcare many times with my coworkers (my company has about 50 people originally from Regina, Saskatchewan who have moved to Denver over the last decade)... none of them prefer the Canadian system over US healthcare... I guess the biggest difference is Canada has a safety for the uninsured which the US doesn't have..

Canadian healthcare is mythical in stature and many have illusions about it. There are many private clinics here and many who have the means to afford it. In fact, Quebec has the most private clinics in Canada, something many Canadians are not aware of. Many Canadians that have the money also use the American system as a private healthcare system where they can get better quality care, better equipment and quicker access. In Canada there are long waiting times for hosptial emergencies, surgery and available beds.

Back in the early 1980's, the government aided Chrysler only after they'd gone bankrupt. But, that was a different time and a different administration. I wouldn't expect the current U.S administration to provide the slightest bit of aid for any major business even if they go bankrupt, unless they happen to be in bed with said business (e.g: Haliburton).

They have been too busy the last few years burning through billions of dollars in the hopeless bottomless pit that is Iraq.. :(

[post="30159"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed. :ph34r:

RE: Healthcare

The government NEEDS to get a handle on lawsuits, lawyers and the medical/insurance industry gouging going on. That would help a helluva lot.

I've had the pub debate over US vs. Canadian healthcare many times with my coworkers (my company has about 50 people originally from Regina, Saskatchewan who have moved to Denver over the last decade)... none of them prefer the Canadian system over US healthcare... I guess the biggest difference is Canada has a safety for the uninsured which the US doesn't have..

[post="30203"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The people that heathcare matters to are the people that can't afford private healthcare. All of us are to be in that boat once we get to the age of retirement..

The US government should get off its asses plain and simple! They should provide healthcare as Canada does. Healthcare is the expense in these companies. GM has the highest healthcare spending in the US.. believe it!

[post="30184"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You are proposing the end of the free enterprise system - stinking communist

Back in the early 1980's, the government aided Chrysler only after they'd gone bankrupt. But, that was a different time and a different administration. I wouldn't expect the current U.S administration to provide the slightest bit of aid for any major business even if they go bankrupt, unless they happen to be in bed with said business (e.g: Haliburton).

[post="30256"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

All that taxpayer dough to finance a sale to Benz - great

You are proposing the end of the free enterprise system - stinking communist

[post="30280"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I must be a communist because I believe that everyone should have access to healthcare. My grandmother had heart surgery at the age of 80 and had no money whatsoever or health insurance(only her old age pension). If she didn't have the surgery she would have died.
I guess you are going to tell me that it is a good idea to have invaded Vietnam and Iraq too?

RE: Healthcare

The government NEEDS to get a handle on lawsuits, lawyers and the medical/insurance industry gouging going on. That would help a helluva lot.

[post="30276"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My experiences would indicate that it wouldn't help at all. My daughter is charge nurse in the emergency department of a hospital here in Los Angeles. That means she is in charge of the other nurses, decides who gets seen first and by whom, as well as performing the more difficult procedures herself. In six years she has never been sued. Neither have any of the other nurses working for her or the doctors involved. Since the two hospitals she has worked at are located next to the interstate, and since she meets the medivac rescue helicopter, these are some pretty high risk patients. The meme that tort reform is the answer is just chicanary by one political party to fool us. What would save the medical system huge amounts of money would be for all of us to die 14 days earlier. Over 85% of the money expended on medical care for you during your lifetime occurs in the last 14 days of life.

My experiences would indicate that it wouldn't help at all.  My daughter is charge nurse in the emergency department of a hospital here in Los Angeles. That means she is in charge of the other nurses, decides who gets seen first and by whom, as well as performing the more difficult procedures herself. In six years she has never been sued.  Neither have any of the other nurses working for her or the doctors involved.  Since the two hospitals she has worked at are located next to the interstate, and  since she meets the medivac rescue helicopter, these are some pretty high risk patients. The meme that tort reform is the answer is just chicanary by one political party to fool us. What would save the medical system huge amounts of money would be for all of us to die 14 days earlier.  Over 85% of the money expended on medical care for you during your lifetime occurs in the last 14 days of life.

[post="30367"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Pull the plug sooner?

I was reading an article about 2 months ago that stated if GM were to go bankrupt that the entire US economy would crash.  They also said that the government will eventually have to step in and help out with health care and pension costs.

[post="29961"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Are you kidding? I'm sorry but GM just doesn't have the impact on the U.S. economy that it might have used to......

Sure....things in GM company towns would suffer.....and it certainly wouldn't be good for Michigan....but a bankrupt GM would be an overall blip on the rest of the country's economy's radar....

I must be a communist because I believe that everyone should have access to healthcare. My grandmother had heart surgery at the age of 80 and had no money whatsoever or health insurance(only her old age pension). If she didn't have the surgery she would have died.
I guess you are going to tell me that it is a good idea to have invaded Vietnam and Iraq too?

I'm all for full access to healthcare...why should someone be denied healthcare because they can't afford it? It's a basic human right, IMHO..

Heres a much simpler solution which probably wouldnt have the same effect but is desperately needed nonetheless... BAN ADVERTISING BY MEDICAL COMPANIES. Seriously were paying for THEM TO ADVERTISE these drugs. a drug should only be used when a doctor prescribes it not because some1 wants it. think of all the money that is spent on that? how much more expensive it makes some drugs? eliminating that would help healthcare a little bit (i doubt much, but it would still be better for us all)

Why I should I pay for some uneducated crackhead's health insurance? Universal healthcare gives everyone an excuse to do less work and be even more lazy because they can rely on their coworkers to pay for their health insurance. Once everyone gets the hint they're paying for fat ass' health insurance they start working less, too and eventually we have a bankrupt system. Less work = less pay = less taxes.

Heres a much simpler solution which probably wouldnt have the same effect but is desperately needed nonetheless...

BAN ADVERTISING BY MEDICAL COMPANIES.

Seriously were paying for THEM TO ADVERTISE these drugs. a drug should only be used when a doctor prescribes it not because some1 wants it. think of all the money that is spent on that? how much more expensive it makes some drugs? eliminating that would help healthcare a little bit (i doubt much, but it would still be better for us all)

[post="30406"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Exactly. If you have a problem go to the doctor, don't try to diagnose yourself.

[post="30344"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Any person that needs a surgery in the US will get one, including your grandmother.

Pull the plug sooner?

[post="30370"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Absolutely! I have DNR(do not resuscitate) orders on my living will. This will save you guys big bucks.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead