Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bepperb

End of Northstar, replaced by DI v6

42 posts in this topic

How is this not on the main page?

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/4007

Latest word is that the successor to the GM Northstar V8 engine has been killed, and that the Northstar may be replaced by GM's excellent 3.6L V6. That engine, the direct-injection DOHC 3.6, puts out 302 horsepower, which is uncomfortably close to the 320 horespower that the 4.6L Northstar puts out. The 3.6 also gets two mpg better gas mileage than Northstar V8.

This raises question about the Lambda platforn CUVs (GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave and Saturn Outlook), as a version of the Northstar was slated for those vehicles. The Northstar is scheduled to be built until 2010, but not after that.

Me thinks that the future (higher) corporate gas mileage requirements played a big role in this decision—and that this won't be the last surprise engine killing by some major automaker.

http://news.windingroad.com/etc/cadillac-d...-injection-v-6/

Story has already been posted.

Not this one...the article about the discontinuation of the NS replacement was posted, but not anything about the NS being dropped as this one claims.

So no replacement, if they do this I am going too... The XLR would be dead with a V8, what is the new DTS/STS going to have a V6, sorry in that class it is not enough and yes it needs OHC's! This is freaking bad news, what ever f*cker pardon my French came up with this one deserves a slap. This would be a very ignorant move on GM's car not to offer a high feature V8 with VVT and about 5.0L DOHC something or other. Are we sure about this? Or not? My guess is CAFE kiled it... Those tree hugging bastards.

Maybe the smallblock Chevy will be GM's V8 of choice, as if it isn't already. It was very telling for Cadillac to put the Chevy engine in the first CTS-V... maybe the Northstar was not stout enough to handle the duty GM knew the CTS-V would need to endure. Maybe all future V8 Cadillacs will be powered by the LS engines... no shame in that... although I do advocate Cadillac having their own V8, the smallblock has certainly earned a place at the head of the class.

So you don't think we won't get any V8 powered Cadillac's aside of the V-Series? So the DTS replacement will get a V8 of some sort even if it is an OHV? Is so that is a relief... It is stupid still, I about $h! my pants and swore up a storm.

Maybe the smallblock Chevy will be GM's V8 of choice, as if it isn't already. It was very telling for Cadillac to put the Chevy engine in the first CTS-V... maybe the Northstar was not stout enough to handle the duty GM knew the CTS-V would need to endure. Maybe all future V8 Cadillacs will be powered by the LS engines... no shame in that... although I do advocate Cadillac having their own V8, the smallblock has certainly earned a place at the head of the class.

The Chevy smallblock is an engine of a lifetime. Amazing what they have been able to achieve since inception.

>>"the Northstar may be replaced by GM's excellent 3.6L V6"<<

One can either read this as the NS is gone & a V-6 will replace all, or another V-8 will.

Considering the phrasing & the source, I'm going to file this one right next to 'the Firebird and Camaro are dead for '74!!' and 'Firebird to go FWD for '82!!' for now.

I don't quite understand how the same tech (and more) applied to the 3.6 cannot be engineered into the NS to likewise improve this excellent engine.

there is no way in hell GM would kill a V8 DOHC engine far far in development for the vaunted Cadillac brand. I think it's safe to say the Northstar replacement is safe

>>"the Northstar may be replaced by GM's excellent 3.6L V6"<<

One can either read this as the NS is gone & a V-6 will replace all, or another V-8 will.

Considering the phrasing & the source, I'm going to file this one right next to 'the Firebird and Camaro are dead for '74!!' and 'Firebird to go FWD for '82!!' for now.

I don't quite understand how the same tech (and more) applied to the 3.6 cannot be engineered into the NS to likewise improve this excellent engine.

It's amazing what you find works and doesn't after trial and error. Why does the Z06 use leaf spring suspension and still kick ass even if some put their nose up to it? Sometimes what's old is new again. :scratchchin:

how is GM coming along with that 3 valve v8 they were working with? i think it was slated for 09 GMT900's... but i dont know

any clues?

I'm sure GM looks at the LS4, and the Northstar, and wonders why the northstar is being produced... i'm sure the LS4 is cheaper, and if they updated the ls4 with the new ls3's technology instead of the ls1's technology, i'm sure GM can make an even nicer motor for cadillac to pride itsef on.

As griffon said in the other thread, Cadillac will probably get the DOHC 6.2L.

I seriously doubt that. The General will introduce the new dual overhead cam (DOHC) 6.2L V8 in its next-generation C3XX pickup trucks only, is my understanding. Again my undestanding is that GM will switch to higher-output V6 engines for Caddys. Of course I could always be wrong! :smilewide:

I seriously doubt that. The General will introduce the new dual overhead cam (DOHC) 6.2L V8 in its next-generation C3XX pickup trucks only, is my understanding. Again my undestanding is that GM will switch to higher-output V6 engines for Caddys. Of course I could always be wrong! :smilewide:

How about V-Series or a 6er/7er fighter (assuming they get a non-V-Series V8)?

It's times like this that it would be better for GM to drop kick very last one of those damned POS pushrodders into the ocean and replace them with proper DOHC engines, just to show they can match whatever the competition puts out with similar equipment.

It's times like this that it would be better for GM to drop kick very last one of those damned POS pushrodders into the ocean and replace them with proper DOHC engines, just to show they can match whatever the competition puts out with similar equipment.

How about, NO. POS pushrodders, like the 436hp 6.2L in the Corvette, which is physically smaller than a 4.4 SC Northstar yet almost equals its power, even without a supercharger?

How about, NO. POS pushrodders, like the 436hp 6.2L in the Corvette, which is physically smaller than a 4.4 SC Northstar yet almost equals its power, even without a supercharger?

But they sound so coarse and unrefined as they pull away from you. :lol:

But they sound so coarse and unrefined as they pull away from you. :lol:

I've heard nothing but compliments on how my GTO sounds :scratchchin:

And the AMG 6.2L V8 puts out 510 hp and weighs less than the Corvette V8, and is DOHC to boot.

And the AMG 6.2L V8 puts out 510 hp and weighs less than the Corvette V8, and is DOHC to boot.

the AMG SL55 that i've driven in gets about 14 mpg... sure its got some kick... it'll beat a corvette... but its nothing to brag about man...

but the advantage pushrod has over DOHC is that it has less moving parts, and generally operates with more torque at lower rpms,... those extra moving parts, start to weigh a lot at 6,7 even 8 thousand rpms where dohc's actually make their power...

pushrods are cheaper, stronger, and longer lasting then dohc... and i dont want to hear about your brothers girlfriends dad who has some 350k mile 1988 toyota camrola

the AMG SL55 that i've driven in gets about 14 mpg... sure its got some kick... it'll beat a corvette... but its nothing to brag about man...

but the advantage pushrod has over DOHC is that it has less moving parts, and generally operates with more torque at lower rpms,... those extra moving parts, start to weigh a lot at 6,7 even 8 thousand rpms where dohc's actually make their power...

pushrods are cheaper, stronger, and longer lasting then dohc... and i dont want to hear about your brothers girlfriends dad who has some 350k mile 1988 toyota camrola

For the lux buyer, DOHC is worth the premium, of which GM needs to pay attention to.

For the lux buyer, DOHC is worth the premium, of which GM needs to pay attention to.

BS

Car rag driven perception is all DOHC really has going for it.

I'd prefer a pushrod engine any day.

So when are we getting the DOHC 6.2? Also I don't mind pushrod motors they are more effiecent but the sweet hummm of the Northstar is hard not to love. V8s idle and sound so much different than V6's.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0