Volkswagen @ NAIAS - Passat CC

The Passat CC unifies sports car dynamics and sedan comfort First car in the world with Lane Assist lane keeping system Dynamic Drive Control electronic chassis system is standard starting at 170 PS High-class engines deliver 140 PS to 300 PS

Wolfsburg / Detroit, January 2008. Volkswagen is opening the year 2008 with the world premiere of the Passat CC. Its identifying characteristics: coupé design, yet with four doors; impressive comfort, yet pure dynamics; sporty interior, yet space without compromises. The interplay of these contrasts has resulted in a car whose concept and design set a new course beyond the mainstream. At the same time, the Passat CC is a progressive technological platform with high-class engines (103 kW / 140 PS to 220 kW / 300 PS) and innovative assistance and driving dynamics systems. These include world firsts in the "Lane Assist" lane keeping system and the "Dynamic Drive Control" electronic chassis control system. No less innovative: the "Park Assist" parking assistant and "ACC Automatic Distance Control" with stopping distance reducing "Front Assist".

passat_cc_live_16.jpg

09passat_cc_005.jpg

09passat_cc_007.jpg

I am partial to Vdubs, and this one is nice front the front, but I am not a fan of the squashed Phaeton rear end. The interior is typical VW beauty. 300 hp from a V-6 further proves that a V-8 is just overkill. I don't understand the need for a 4 door coupe though. What's the point? Save weight and complexity by just having two doors.

It has good design elements, but the execution is rather... off, in my eyes. I like everything aft of the C-pillar, except for the taillights, which looks deformed. The greenhouse has this homely look to it, despite being sleek. Up front, it's just bad. It looks like it belongs on a much more civilized vehicle.. like the regular Passat. The interior on the other hand, besides not breaking any new ground, is quite nice.

It's pretty, better looking than a garden variety Passat. Some elements of the design appear to have been tweaked off a regular Passat with some kind of photoshop... it's like the taillights, for example, were "dragged" with a computer mouse into their exaggerated shape. That interior is de rigeur for VW... a class act. I am scared to hear how much this thing costs.

Overall I like it, even though it has some Mercedes Benz elements in it. Just like the new Hyundai Genesis, which I thought was an S-Class at first glance. I thought VW came out publicly not too long ago and said they are lowering the prices on their cars to be more competitive with everyone else here in the U.S. This car though I imagine will still be quite pricey.

Very sleek and amazing headlights, but overall I'd rate it about a 6.5/10 design-wise. Nothing really new about it that stands out, just another car. Though it does look like Mercedes designed it with Sebring taillights and Buick wheels.

Guest YellowJacket894

The answer to a question no one was ever asking.

Drop the regular Passat if there isn't much price difference (if this costs more than thirty grand at the most, someone at V-Dub has the IQ of a maple tree) and make this the standard Passat sedan.