Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NOS2006

I Am Officially Insane

54 posts in this topic

Okay, so I thought I was going insane before... but now I've done it: I want a 3/4 foreign car. Used, of course.

I hate the Bronco. It gets the worst gas mileage I could ever have a nightmare and dream of, it runs like $h!, doesn't want to crank over in the cold (and I'm not buying a new battery), and has other issues too. So, come spring, I'm going to fix it up as much and as quick as I can and put it on the block for sale. Hopefully I'll make a little cash off of it and save a little for my NEXT winter car...

I'm thinking about a DSM. That's right, I said it. A '95-99 Eclipse GS-T or GSX with a 5 speed. Something that will get better gas mileage (est. 30 MPG on FWD GS-T, idk about the AWD GSX), but still be a ton of fun to drive with enough passing power to get me through the day. I was considering a GP GTP for the longest, but I think I might get the smaller, lighter, less powerful Eclipse instead. Hopefully I don't pick one with a blown trans.

Hopefully I don't pick one with a blown trans.

Or blown engine.

Careful - if you end up buying a Spyder, that's as good as coming out of the closet.

:P:D

No thanks, I just want a GS-T or GSX coupe..

Let me guess, you want a black one? :scratchchin:

what about an old J-body or S-series?

THat car is asking for problems...

what about an old J-body or S-series?

THat car is asking for problems...

I know they aren't the most reliable, but I'm sure I could make it through the winter. And I said I want something with passing power, and no S-Series is going to help me with that. I've considered the Z24, too, but I'm not sure I'm sold on it.

I know they aren't the most reliable, but I'm sure I could make it through the winter. And I said I want something with passing power, and no S-Series is going to help me with that. I've considered the Z24, too, but I'm not sure I'm sold on it.

Passing power in the winter isn't going to be that necessary very often, at least I assume the roads are usually not too great in Michigan in the winter. Not saying the Eclipse would be hard to drive in the winter, but it's not like you're going to be flooring it in the snow, either.

What's wrong with the Cobalt in the winter?

Passing power in the winter isn't going to be that necessary very often, at least I assume the roads are usually not too great in Michigan in the winter. Not saying the Eclipse would be hard to drive in the winter, but it's not like you're going to be flooring it in the snow, either.

It is tuned for the summer, and to have it tuned twice a year would be ridiculous. Plus, I don't want to risk other drivers hitting me in the winter.

Winters aren't always that bad, only usually the day after we get snow. I do 40+ highway miles a day during the winter, and there's definitely a need for a little oomph.

1) Really, really $h!ty Michigan roads.

2) Rust ( Thanks, salty Michigan roads...)

Cars don't last long around here....between the weather and the roads..

Umm..have you forgotten where you live, NOS?

I've seen people try DSM as a beater, and it never works out..

A co-worker has one last winter and it caught fire on 23...I think it was on the news.... :lol:

And the S-series are fine, I've driven them on the freeways with no problems.....

The Z24s are ok...just make sure you take good care of that 2.4, and it should take care of you...

Though you might be better with the Eco (03+), and you can find them pretty cheap....

It is tuned for the summer, and to have it tuned twice a year would be ridiculous. Plus, I don't want to risk other drivers hitting me in the winter.

Winters aren't always that bad, only usually the day after we get snow. I do 40+ highway miles a day during the winter, and there's definitely a need for a little oomph.

But you don't live by me...they are crazy around here...

Makes me nervous driving the Cobalt around here.... :unsure:

Mitsubishi: For those who think Toyota's business practices are WAY too ethical!

And the S-series are fine, I've driven them on the freeways with no problems.....

Yes. Just as long as you are willing to put a few mods on either engine you get, an S-Series truck is just fine. It also helps if you avoid the slushbox as well, especially with the 2.2, and just stir the pot yourself.

Yes. Just as long as you are willing to put a few mods on either engine you get, an S-Series truck is just fine. It also helps if you avoid the slushbox as well, especially with the 2.2, and just stir the pot yourself.

I said I'm looking for something with pretty good MPGs, too. Like, probably about 30 on highway.

I said I'm looking for something with pretty good MPGs, too. Like, probably about 30 on highway.

Get a Saturn SC coupe.Nuff said.

My buddy' 98 pulls 30 easy...

And if you want something that isn't a complete POS...

I'd say find a decent 240SX. Reliable, economical, and fun. And with its layout and part availability... you could always turn it into a real SS slaughter if your Cobalt started boring you. What? It could happen... :P

Get a Saturn SC coupe.Nuff said.

My buddy' 98 pulls 30 easy...

I'll second the Saturn, especially with a five-speed. I'm not big on Saturn's automatic (I think it's an Aisin?), but even the SOHC 1.9 moves pretty good with a stick. Decent in the snow, too, and rust won't be an issue. Gotta love plastic panels. :)

I'll second the Saturn, especially with a five-speed. I'm not big on Saturn's automatic (I think it's an Aisin?), but even the SOHC 1.9 moves pretty good with a stick. Decent in the snow, too, and rust won't be an issue. Gotta love plastic panels. :)

:yes:

And if you want something that isn't a complete POS...

I'd say find a decent 240SX. Reliable, economical, and fun. And with its layout and part availability... you could always turn it into a real SS slaughter if your Cobalt started boring you. What? It could happen... :P

240s aren't quick (8-9 sec) stock nor do they get good gas mileage (21/27).

Gas mileage is great, but with a 10.5 second 0-60, it'd take me approximately 2 weeks to get to highway speed. I'm looking more in the 7 second area.

Then why not a 97-99 Grand Prix?

It's a possibility. 19/30 ain't bad.

However, I want to see how many options are possible. I was really looking into lightweight mid-90s turbo cars, but I'm not sure I'm finding anything good.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0