Mahrindra Appalachian coming to US in '09, diesel hybrid in '10.

As seen on Autoblog..

ndian automaker Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. will shake up the U.S. truck market next year when it introduces a new midsize pickup called the Appalachian sporting a 2.2L four-cylinder diesel engine producing around 150 horsepower and 300 pound feet of torque. Speaking with Mike Levine from Pickuptruck.com, John Perez, the CEO of Atlanta-based importer Global Vehicles U.S.A. that's aiding Mahindra's entry into the U.S. market, revealed that the truck will deliver 30 to 35 miles per gallon and cost in the mid-$20,000 range. It will be paired with a six-speed automatic that's controlled via a floor-mounted shifter or paddle shifters(!), have a class-leading payload of 2,600 lbs. and feature a 60,000-mile, four year bumper-to-bumper warranty.

If that's not enough to strike fear in domestic and import truck makers alike, Mahindra has also revealed plans to sell a diesel hybrid version of its pickup by 2010. If it happens, the diesel hybrid Appalachian will be, as far as we know, the only diesel hybrid on sale in the U.S. market and achieve fuel economy figures even higher than its diesel-only counterpart. Imagine a midsize pickup in the low-$30,000 price range capable of 40+ mpg.

The Appalachian has yet to go through U.S. certification for emissions and safety, but the company is spending $80 million to ensure its truck passes with no issues. After that, production will begin in India on March 15, 2009, but the trucks will finish assembly at a plant in Ohio to avoid high import taxes. After that, customers can visit a 300-strong dealer network with 24 standalone dealerships, one of which is already under construction.

Autoblog article on Mahindra Appalachian

is it just me, or does that truck look like it's sporting an olds emblem?

very close with what we have to work with.

i'm guessing it's ranger sized...? it could sell well, if it has a good warrantee / dealer base. look at where the Koreans came from...

The logo is kinda Oldsish..it's a stylized M in a loop...

Mahindra Worldwide

Mahindra is in the US currently w/ tractors, they have a big red 'M' logo:

Mahindra USA

Maybe they can sell the trucks through the tractor dealers, pitch them to farmers.

My local TV stations have been running Mahindra tractor ads for a while, though the nearest dealers are in Lanred, Ks (328 miles) and Albuquerque, NM (348 miles).

Edited by moltar

The Appalachian has yet to go through U.S. certification for emissions and safety, but the company is spending $80 million to ensure its truck passes with no issues. After that, production will begin in India on March 15, 2009,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't every auto manufacturer had serious problems (like years long delays) trying to get their diesels past emissions?

That is one ugly truck, at least from that pic.

They might also target Aztec owners, since this is about as ugly.

The author is taking the manufacturer at their word that the truck will achieve gas mileage in the 30s. I wonder what it will really do.

John Perez, the CEO of Atlanta-based importer Global Vehicles U.S.A. that's aiding Mahindra's entry into the U.S. market, revealed that the truck will deliver 30 to 35 miles per gallon and cost in the mid-$20,000 range.

An ugly, 4-cylinder pickup from a manufacturer with no build-quality reputation to go on? Mid-$20,000 range, you say? Count me in! <_<

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I think the Mahindra truck will find a willing buyer base here in the US, especially if the product is tough, capable, and has an aggressive price advantage.

Our current economy is forcing many folks to re-evaluate luxury purchases (such as buying a truck that's way more capable than will ever be needed) as we are entering a new era of "cash-flow awareness" and spending restraint.

That said, many truck buyers may find comfort in having more choices amongst inexpensive trucks that offer simplicity and practicality... rather than over-the-top capacity & luxury and a $500 - $600 monthly payment!

Edited by jlgolden

The disturbing part is that a loaded Ranger has an MSRP of almost $28k, not that anyone pays that.

sadly there is one financially disturbed person around my house who got a ranger ext cab fx4 or whatver the top of the line ranger is... thats enough for a good f-150. i just dont understand why people wont jump to a full sizer.

on topic that dealership is a scant 2 hour ride from my house. i saw it on the way back home from chattanooga. they got parking garage for a dealership lot at the bmw dealership there.

the stupid little thing is hideous though. looks like an 82 toyota truck from the cab back with a 01 prerunner front end.

For the same price or lower, you can get a V-6 RC/LB Silverado with known over-engineering, longevity and resale.

The only thing this has going for it in reality is the (in 'normal' times) fact it's foreign.

>>"the trucks will finish assembly at a plant in Ohio to avoid high import taxes."<

Bullsh!t self-castrating laws! Know how many billions has twirled down the drain from this galaxy-sized tax loophole ??

Edited by balthazar