New Car, need help deciding.

Well I most likely will be buying new and all stripper models no options at all.

First

HPIM2060.jpg

08 Cobalt Coupe 2.2 5spd price 11,000 DARK BLUE

Second

HPIM2061.jpg

08 Aveo 4 door 1.6 5spd price 8,000 Color either red or black

Third

HPIM2062.jpg

08 Colorado 2.9 5sp regular cab short box price 11,500 Color ?

Fourth

HPIM2063.jpg

08 Silverado WT 4.3 reg cab reg box price 12,500 color dark blue or white

Can you guys give me some pros and cons or reviews. What one would you pick.

I'm getting my Dads GM discount so that helps a lot.

Insurance is highest on the Cobalt and cheapest on the Colorado

So hard to choose.

Forget the Aveo. Not worth it at any price.

The Silverado is probably the pick of the litter here. But, as Camino said, get a different color. That color combo just screams "U.S. Government Fleet Special"

The Colorado is a huge letdown on the inside, but mechanically it should hold up fine. That one actually looks great for a stripper.

The Cobalt will give you the best MPGs (remember how I said forget the Aveo) and will be a fun drive even in base trim. However, I would consider scouring the CPO lots for a gently used one with more options so you can stay in your price range. Base model Cobalts are very spartan on the inside. Fear not - CPO cars still come with the 5/100 powertrain warranty

I agree with what Z said, for the most part. If you like the Colorado's interior well enough and don't plan on hauling/towing too much, it might be the better buy vs. the Silverado, though. Better MPGs. What price did they give you on the Cobalt before the GM Discount? There's one on ebay buy it now for $12385 and that's without the GM Discount. Looking for a CPO one might be a good idea, though you wouldn't get the GM Discount.

In short, if you just want good MPGs and a good daily driver, go with the Cobalt. If you need to haul a lot of stuff from time to time, probably the Silvy. If the Colorado can do enough hauling and you can live with the interior, I'd go Colorado over Silvy there simply because MPGs and better maneuverability.

Basically i want a commuter and good on gas. The Aveo reminds me a lot of my 88 Chevy sprint and looks fun to drive in the city. I love the sportiness of the cobalt though. The Colorado is nice because of the raised ride height and ability to throw stuff in the back if needed. And i can take it up north and keep miles off the Sierra. The Silverado is in the picture just because of the value i mean 12 k for a brand new truck. and its a lot of truck. I do like that all of them except the Silverado have A/C. I plan on either 4-5 years from now trading it in or leaving it in a garage in Alaska so i have a car up there. It will be a filler car. I putting 2k down and it sounds like 0% financing so max I'm looking at is about 150 car payment. The Aveo comes out to be $95 a month.

I'm staying away from used. Options don't mean that much to me for a daily beater. I want to give GM a sale and i like to be the first one to break a car in. If i have time tomorrow i will go test driving.

Please keep your comments coming.

If you just want a cheap communter that gets good mileage, I'd go for the Aveo. All the customers we have that own them, love them. Just like the fanatical Metro owners. They're not bad little cars. The Colorado is kinda boring and slow. The Silverado is a rough ridin sumbitch. LOL The Cobalt is fine, but you could get more options on the Aveo to make the commute a little nicer.

could you somehow wait for an 09 'balt....? the "new" engine. same with the aveo. otherwise you allready have a truck...get the 'balt, even though it's 3K more than the aveo. idk, you test drove any of them?

I'm going to say Aveo too...just because they're so small but actually comfortable, and the price is great for NEW. Depends on the model, though, since there are "Special Value" ones even below the LS that have no air. If buying new, at least make sure you get air.

Then:

-Cobalt (step up, small, efficient)

-Colorado (very useful, still small)

-Silverado (big, decently comfortable, most inefficient, stripped, etc.)

Then again, maybe Cobalt first, just because it's a little more car--but depends if you actually want that more. Drive both, feel around, and see. That should cinch it.

Edited by caddycruiser

Get the Cobalt Cap- The potholes around here will tear that Aveo apart..

When I had my Cobalt at the dealership, there were a half dozen Aveos being worked on....4 of them from road damage... :(

i guess thats what the 5 year/100,000 is for.

Its getting bad, I'm finally glad they are fixing I-75. Whats scary is when i went up north the Zilwaukee bridge Northbound was all closed off. They are replacing the bearings on the bridge. Whats scary is that bridge collapsed when it was being built and 3 company's went bankrupt. I really wonder about that bridge.

But the more i look at the Aveo the more i want it. And i really cant wait for 09' models within the next 2 weeks i think i will be getting a car.

You wouldnt go wrong with an Aveo. My Mom has a 2007 with about 6000 miles on it and she loves it. Even got in a little fender bender and it is now fixed with no problems. She has not had to bring it back for anything but an alignment (I think she touched a curb a bit hard). It rides nicely handles well is good on gas and my 300 pound body actually fits in it. I may get one myself when the lease is up on the Equionox next March. The fuel mileage so far is right on with what the sticker says. For me it performs well around town but loses steam on the highway though it does hold 70 mph pretty well.

i guess thats what the 5 year/100,000 is for.

Its getting bad, I'm finally glad they are fixing I-75. Whats scary is when i went up north the Zilwaukee bridge Northbound was all closed off. They are replacing the bearings on the bridge. Whats scary is that bridge collapsed when it was being built and 3 company's went bankrupt. I really wonder about that bridge.

But the more i look at the Aveo the more i want it. And i really cant wait for 09' models within the next 2 weeks i think i will be getting a car.

Yeah, and 94 is getting bad too...I just missed a huge pothole on the way to Ann Arbor....

It just depends on what you drive on most-the freeway or city....

The Balt does pretty well on the freeway, and in the city....

The Aveo does really well in the city, though like 2005 said, they lack a little on the freeway...and if you are driving 75....

Edited by daves87rs

Between the 4, go for the Cobalt. I'd recommend grabbing a very lightly used G6/Malibu. The low resale will give you a lot more car for the money (especially if you wait around a bit and find one with uber low miles).