caddycruiser

2009 Saturn Official Changes

So the only engine for the Outlook will be the 3.6 DI version? I didn't think they'd drop the

MPFI motor...

... but I guess they are doing the same for the Envoy.

Does anyone else wonder, like me, why the Saturn and Chevy Lambdas offer both a single and a dual exhaust system and the GMC and Buick only offer the dual setup?

Wouldn't it be smarter to just use the same exhaust system on all Lambdas? Especially since the single-exhaust loses 5hp.....?

It CAN'T save THAT much money to go with the single system on the Saturn and Chevy......so why even offer it?

Just stirring the pot, so to speak. And it does need some changes, like a tan/black interior choice, a 12 hour clock display instead of 24, better base wheels, a couple of new exterior color choices, Red- and Greenline models, etc., all of these things would improve the car.

Careful my friend.

Certain admins around here will be threatening you within hours if you 'stir the pot too much' like I apparently did.

Ahh, GM and it's bureaucracies...

Careful my friend.

Certain admins around here will be threatening you within hours if you 'stir the pot too much' like I apparently did.

Oh... come on... on a 4-month old post, you're gonna say this? Anyway... This isn't the Buick forum... now is it? :P

If you weren't aware, Saturn has a relationship with GME... check out some posts by one of our members, PCS, to learn more. :smilewide:

Feel free to blast away with your perspective/ opinion/ agenda on GME :cussing:

GME doesn't have a clue what Americans want, if the Asstra is any indication. Local dealership has the very same 20 Asstras sitting there, collecting dust... for months and months... Saturn should be axed, now.

GME doesn't have a clue what Americans want, if the Asstra is any indication. Local dealership has the very same 20 Asstras sitting there, collecting dust... for months and months... Saturn should be axed, now.

The Astra is suffering because it is the wrong product for the wrong division:

1) The car does not offer some of the amenities expected by U.S. buyers (especially at this price point). No front center armrest, no front cupholders, no auxillary stereo input, no satellite radio, 24 hour clock, bizarre ergonomics, etc. The Astra begins to look overpriced and underequipped when test drove back to back with competitors that cost the same or less that have those amenities.

2) The car is underpowered compared to most of its rivals. The U.S. Astra should have the same powerplants that are available in the Cobalt/G5. A premium compact should never appear underpowered when compared to its more affordable platform mates.

3) No sedan version. Many U.S. buyers prefer this configuration. It should have been offered along with the 3-door and 5-door versions.

4) Wrong division. Saturn will never be perceived as a premium division. It started its existence as an affordable small vehicle division and I don't think GM will ever be successful at moving it upmarket. Therefore, the division will not be successful at selling premium products in the market.

What it comes down to is that the current Astra should not have been offered in the U.S., especially as a Saturn product. If GM wants a midmarket premium division, then they should replace Saturn with Opel and simultaneously introduce the Insignia (sedan and wagon) and next generation Astra (sedan, 3-door, 5-door) when they launch the division in the U.S (the next gen Meriva, Zafira, and Corsa can be added later). To me, GM is wasting money trying to support or transform Saturn because it will always be perceived as a Chevrolet alternative in the minds of the buying public. There is no need to market 2 brands to target the same portion of the market.

A couple of words of advice for GM if they choose to offer next gen Opel products here as Opels:

1) Make sure that the products offer all of the amenities that U.S. buyers will expect in a premium vehicle before you make it available here.

2) Focus the cars marketing on the Euro origins/styling/engineering/driving dynamics of the brand. Make the brand's advertising sophisticated and appealing to the premium shopper (the current Saturn ads are very dorky and don't really indicate the new status or purpose of the brand). Downplay GM's connection and involvement with the brand (the target demographic will be attracted by the brand's Euro origins but repelled if they think it's just another GM division).

Edited by cire

Looks too much like a Cobalt to be taken seriously at such a price premium.

Looks too much like a Cobalt to be taken seriously at such a price premium.

I'd say it puts the Cobalt sedan to shame...

i would absolutely FORGIVE all the astras other flaws if it had a 6th gear, 20 more hp, and cruised at 2500 rpm at 75mph, not 3750-4000 rpm.

GM seriously should have brought the wagon and sedan here as well to round out the line. even if it looks like the cobalt, the interior is far nicer and it drives a lot better.

astra is a seriously sweet little car....but GM needed to tend to the flaws and didn't.

Edited by regfootball

GM seriously should have brought the wagon and sedan here as well to round out the line. even if it looks like the cobalt, the interior is far nicer and it drives a lot better.

astra is a seriously sweet little car....but GM needed to tend to the flaws and didn't.

I don't think the Astra sedan looks that similar to the Cobalt sedan. I think the Astra sedan has a somewhat smoother and sportier appearance when compared to the Cobalt sedan. I think there is enough of a difference in the appearance that it doesn't appear to be a rebadge (unlike the Cobalt's relationship to the G5).

One thing that I found odd about the Cobalt and Astra sedans were the difference in their wheelbases. The Cobalt sedan has a 103.5 inch wheelbase while the Astra sedan has a 106.4 inch wheelbase. I thought the sedans would have the same wheelbase since they are nearly identical in their exterior dimensions and are based on the Delta platform. I realize that the difference in wheelbase measurements is not really significant, but I did find it interesting.

Just in case someone doesn't believe me, I have attached links to the cars' specifications pages:

undefined

undefined

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.