Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Lassa, Motor Trend: Invicta or LaCrosse

wildcat

the Lacrosse is basically a brand new name. It'd be like GM ressurrecting the Lumina name, no point when there is no good historical reference to this name and it was only tied to generally lackluster cars when they were produced.

Turbo, I disagree. The LaCrosse name has had negative publicity since the production vehicle arrived. From lack of delivery based on the concept (I know there's no relation, but it's perception) to the self delivery implied by French Canadian youth, the name needs to be replaced with one that can be sold internationally without complications.

Another reason behind a name change would be that the LaCrosse was introduced on a $23k entry level Buick. The Epsilon II-based sedan replacing it will be targeting a some-what different market.

Honestly, I hate the name Invicta.

Not a fan of the name LaCrosse either, but like it more than Invicta. Would LOVE for Regal to resurface but I know I'm dreaming.

I hear the car will be called LeMasturbation.

Turbo, I disagree. The LaCrosse name has had negative publicity since the production vehicle arrived. From lack of delivery based on the concept (I know there's no relation, but it's perception) to the self delivery implied by French Canadian youth, the name needs to be replaced with one that can be sold internationally without complications.

Another reason behind a name change would be that the LaCrosse was introduced on a $23k entry level Buick. The Epsilon II-based sedan replacing it will be targeting a some-what different market.

ok so now I see my words were confusing. I meant that keeping the Lacrosse name would be like GM resurrecting the Lumina name, both names have been tied to lackluster cars and both have no good historical reference. That it was tied to a well received concept really has little to do with it since so few would ever remember that fact, but you're absolutely right about all the negative publicity it has received.

My other point in mentioning that it was a new name is that GM has marketed and spent a lot marketing it, BUT since it's only one generation old it's not ingrained in the mind like a Riviera or Regal....those cars were around a really long time.

Get the car right who cares about the name. The name is just a name. I wanted Regal back too. But Invicta is fine.

The name does matter. It always bugged me the Nissan Stanza meant "room".

uhhhh...

stan·za

n. One of the divisions of a poem, composed of two or more lines usually characterized by a common pattern of meter, rhyme, and number of lines.

Source: American Heritage Dictionary

Edited by Croc

I think I understand gm4life's point. Buick as a brand name has more strength than any model name in particular. Buick owners still say they drive a Buick, not necessarily the model. This type of established brand recognition is enviable and sought after by many luxury brands.

I think I understand gm4life's point. Buick as a brand name has more strength than any model name in particular. Buick owners still say they drive a Buick, not necessarily the model. This type of established brand recognition is enviable and sought after by many luxury brands.

This is so true - we even referred to our N-body, 2.4L powered 4 door Skylark as "The Buick". Sadly, I got the news on Monday that the person my father sold it to totaled it.

I like Invicta the best out of all the names in this thread, but I won't complain if Regal comes back, or if they just call the car Allure like they do in Canada. The car makes the name, not vice versa.