Its out... The 2009 Cadillac XLR is here!

Sad. How very sad.

Kind of like a J-body "redesign".... just add a few trim pieces aaaaaaaand, good to go!

You know, Mercedes sold one generation of the SL for over a decade with minimal changes. So is this why we do not have an all-new XLR?

That still does not excuse the less than acceptable styling changes made to the car.

Edited by YellowJacket894

You know, Mercedes sold one generation of the SL for over a decade with minimal changes. So is this why we do not have an all-new XLR?

That still does not excuse the less than acceptable styling changes made to the car.

yeah man like I said maybe GM just wants to play it safe, the way Porche has been doing it with the 911 for the past few years make just minimal changes to a very nice looking car cause the XLR its a very nice looking car man. Altho I have to agree with you guys the side vent lookss ugly and cheap.

yeah man like I said maybe GM just wants to play it safe, the way Porche has been doing it with the 911 for the past few years make just minimal changes to a very nice looking car cause the XLR its a very nice looking car man. Altho I have to agree with you guys the side vent lookss ugly and cheap.

the things is that Porsche has built up it's cars for many years, and fine tuned them. Plus they handle very well. The XLR, as I recall, does not.

I like it...a lot. GM cleaned up the headlights, cleaned up the grille, and the fender vent adds some visual interest to the side. I want to see a rear and interior shot, though, before I give final judgement.

Yes, cars of this ilk usually don't get willy nilly updates, as they are supposed to project timeless elegance. The updates are an improvement, imo. Next up, an interior shot, please.

I wish the rear got more of an Evoq theme with the thinner mini-fin-like taillights, but I think this will be hanging on without a major update until decisions are made regargind the C7 Corvette. Too bad, as this could be the halo car for Cadillac.

This is another thing that pisses me off about GM.

For something this minor, why even spend the development money at all....? We're talking about new foglamps and some fender vents. Who's gonna notice....other than us on here?

At least the MCE on the '09 SL has a bit more differentiation in the front-end......

>>"...they handle very well. The XLR, as I recall, does not."<<

What ?? It has "bad" handling- on a Corvette chassis with Magna-Ride ?? Where are you 'recalling' this from? Go google some road tests a while...

The 2008 Cadillac XLR boasts an artistic, eye-catching design that still stands out in a crowd. Its lackluster performance and interior craftsmanship, however, put it at a disadvantage in the very competitive (and expensive) luxury roadster segment.

Pros

Literally sharp-looking exterior design, comfortable ride quality, hardtop convenience, nearly ever luxury feature you can ask for is standard.

Cons

Interior build and materials quality do not reflect the price, not as sporty as its Corvette underpinnings would suggest, taller drivers may find it cramped.

What's New for 2008

The additions of an available Alpine White limited edition, optional chrome wheels and a newly standard heated steering wheel are the only changes to Cadillac's XLR roadster for 2008.

Edited by Dodgefan

I think they did a decent job for a mid cycle refresh on a car that isn't exactly a stellar performer, sales wise. It's to be hoped that the next generation (if there is one, and I hope there is) will continue the level of improvement shown in the new CTS

Well, in that the Corvette is one of the best handling cars available anywhere, 'not as good as' is a far cry from your implied 'bad', isn't it??

>>"The XLR's ability to gallop where other cars would saunter surprised me. It swallowed bad pavement, sharp turns and flat straights with equal aplomb.

One key to its stability is a system called Magnetic Ride Control.... The end result is a ride that is smooth over little bumps one instant and firm for bigger dips the next instant. Point the nose into a turn and the car takes a firm set with very little body lean."<< -- familycar.com

>>"Throwing the XLR through turns is a nearly religious experience. The rear- mounted transmission gives the car a nearly 50/50 weight balance between front and rear, and the Magnetic Ride Control (the same electronically controlled, magnetic-fluid based, real-time suspension damping system found on the Corvette) works with this balance to deliver a ride that’s softer than expected on the highway, but stiff and precisely responsive when you get aggressive in the twists and turns. When I push the XLR as hard as any car I’ve tested, it impresses."<< -- windingroad.com

>>"Then the corners begin to weave left-right and tighten up. Does the Cadillac still feel like a Mercedes?

No, but that's not necessarily bad. You'll find the American sports car as willing to take on the twisty stuff, but with less of a hard edge than the Mercedes. There's initial understeer, of course, good turn-in and an ability to remain stable without being harsh, plus a solid transition back the other way as the road turns. The XLR-V may not give you the look-at-me-I'm-a-race-driver thrill of the SL55 AMG, but it wouldn't be far behind on a curving road…and it is arguably a better day-to-day driver."<< --RoadandSnobbery.com

>>"Out on the highway, it cruises along as comfortably as any good sedan. Bumps are absorbed without fuss and directional stability is never an issue. Take the next offramp at speed and the suspension immediately firms up to minimize body roll and maximize available grip. Throw a couple of mid-turn ripples into the mix, and the XLR continues tracking predictably through the turn seemingly unruffled by the corner's events.

The story's the same on back roads, where Cadillac's flagship really surprises. Thanks to its near 50/50 weight distribution and relatively neutral nature, the XLR actually begins to feel smaller the more it's tossed around. Eventually this balance gives way to mild understeer at the limit of adhesion, but up till then grip and control remain consistent. Along the way, the steering feels communicative, albeit a touch heavy at parking-lot speeds, and the brakes quietly get the job done with very good feel and modulation.

Not only does the XLR's chassis accept most anything thrown in its direction, the engine and transmission remain ever-enthusiastic participants. The Northstar's power delivery is perhaps the smoothest of any GM engine to date, working in concert with one of the smartest and most intuitive transmissions around."<< --more RoadandSnobbery.com

>>"With a Corvette-based suspension, a very wide track and low centre of gravity, Magnetic Ride Control, and Michelin ZP Extended Mobility run-flat P235/50WR-18 inch tires, the XLR has terrific handling and extremely high cornering limits. That was expected. But what surprised me was the comfortable ride, and a tight body that exhibited very little flex or cowl shake. A sports car this may be, but it the ride is neither stiff nor uncomfortable."<< --CanadianDriver.com

I dunno, sounds pretty spanky....

• 2 weeks later...

People don't park XLRs next to anyone else. Anyone who does and takes a close spot at the local CVS is just nuts. Molding or not, cars still sustain damage when stupid people swing their doors opened.

Give me an old fashioned bodyside door molding and lose the stupid useless fender vent. Are designers today so clueless? The first old fart with a big heavy door that parks next to this thing will crease that door up so bad and that makes a car worthless to me.

Seeing the comparison of the changes, I am pleased with the minor styling enhancements. The original, though low in stance, didn't have enough of a difference to look apart from a convertible STS. This gives a bit of individual flair. Enough to scream about? No. Who cares? Nobody really should. It's not like they were going to do a major redesign.