Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hyperv6

Camaro Convertible and production headlights

44 posts in this topic

By Ed Peper GM Fast Blog

North America Vice President, Chevrolet

A few months ago, we showed you some official “spy shots” of the pre-production version of the new Camaro coupe.

To say the least, response to that post was overwhelmingly enthusiastic – something that was extremely gratifying to all of us here at Chevrolet, who have been hard at work testing and retesting the Camaro development models.

As a reward for your interest – and your patience – here’s a sneak peak of the convertible version of the Camaro, which is also undergoing a similar evaluation as we ready it for full production later next year. (Preproduction models shown. Actual production models may vary.)

camaro1vt8.jpg

camaro1vt8.328059b4e5.jpg

camaro2yp6.jpg

camaro2yp6.c66849aa81.jpg

The prodution cars may differ due to this one having no badging. So I think this is about 95% it.

Note the extra line on the front bumper beside the fog light.

Edited by hyperv6

0 noes!!! tEh b-pillerz!!!!!11111oneoneoneeleveneleveneleveneleventybillionevleven!!!!

Not bad, and depending on circumstances in a few years, I wouldn't rule out a Camaro vert, even if it would just be holding a spot in the garage for an M6.

Finally, a resumption of good news out of GM. Lookin' good!

those headlights look great I think they look even better than the ones on he concept car

Sweet...I was leaning towards a Mustang convertible, but I may have to hold out for one of these (if it will be out prior to June 28, 2010).

One of these w/ a V8 and manual would be a great winter car for me to cruise around the 'Dale in...

I love the profile view w/ the top up...looks chunky, solid, w/ the long hood and great RWD proportions....none of that FWD nonsense where the door is almost into the wheelwell..

Edited by moltar

Damn, those look BETTER than the concept's.

I was thinking that might happen, the concept's

headlights were a bit too recessed & diminutive.

Once again I managed a pretty damn good

educated guess since I predicted that Chevrolet

would do some variation of the angel-eye.

Holy poop! The profile image showing the reflection of the sky in the glass and on the body did two things to my vision:

1) I didn't even pay any attention to the flat-black top and could only focus on those sexy rear-quarter lines;

2) The shade of the reflected surface made me wonder just how gorgeous this car would look in a deep, dark gunmetal silver.

... and seeing the actual headlights is highly reassuring.

Yay for ripping off BMW's angel eyes!

Actually, I'm all for it.

Love to see them on the G8s as well.

0 noes!!! tEh b-pillerz!!!!!11111oneoneoneeleveneleveneleveneleventybillionevleven!!!!

:rotflmao:

EDIT - cool looking headlights!

Edited by ZL-1

Looks very good, but this car is going to look so old by the time people can buy it. :( People whine about a car needing an update after 4-5 years. That's how long we'll have seen this car for by the time people can buy it! It's still a cool car, and will probably sell, but c'mon.

Looks very good, but this car is going to look so old by the time people can buy it. :( People whine about a car needing an update after 4-5 years. That's how long we'll have seen this car for by the time people can buy it! It's still a cool car, and will probably sell, but c'mon.

I agree that it shouldn't have taken this long to do it, or it shouldn't have debuted as a concept until one year before it could be sold....or something. Still, I love it as much as I did when I first saw it...I want it...worth the wait entirely.

>>"Looks very good, but this car is going to look so old by the time people can buy it. People whine about a car needing an update after 4-5 years. That's how long we'll have seen this car for by the time people can buy it! It's still a cool car, and will probably sell, but c'mon. "<<

I disagree... after all, we all kno BMW has pawned the same nose (black plastic horizontal grilles, 4 round headlights, chromed nostrils) on their cars for like 30 years (up to the BangledMWs, and even there....)- and that seemed to work fine.

The style the '09 Camaro pays homage to has YET to BEGIN to fade from popularity/ collectibility, but at least there new car buyers have had a break, plus this car is much farther removed from the original than over @ BMW, so I have no doubt this will not grow old- it's already a classic before it even hits the showroom.

Yay for ripping off BMW's angel eyes!

Pretty sure the SVT Focus had them too at one point. Maybe even before BMW. <_<

Heck.. Just consider it payback for BMW ripping off the Pontiac grille.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Heck.. Just consider it payback for BMW ripping off the Pontiac grille.

BMW has been using the twin-kidney grille since the 30's.

Why are they refered to as 'kidneys' when they were never in in a 'kidney' shape ? Ever see a human kidney or a kidney bean? I never got this, but suspect it's to deflect having them called what they call to mind: pig's nostrils.

Sat is right- BMW has used the same grilles for basically 50 years (yawn), whereas Pontiac debuted a completely different split grille first for '59.

Why are they refered to as 'kidneys' when they were never in in a 'kidney' shape ? Ever see a human kidney or a kidney bean? I never got this, but suspect it's to deflect having them called what they call to mind: pig's nostrils.

Sat is right- BMW has used the same grilles for basically 50 years (yawn), whereas Pontiac debuted a completely different split grille first for '59.

The older BMW grilles ('80s and before) were taller and narrower, kind of like kidney beans, which is probably where the nickname originated. It wasn't until the early '90s that they adopted the late '80s Grand Am style nostrils/squircles.

Edited by moltar

BMW has been using the twin-kidney grille since the 30's.

Except, they didn't morph into Pontiac grilles until the 90s.

The older BMW grilles ('80s and before) were taller and narrower, kind of like kidney beans, which is probably where the nickname originated. It wasn't until the early '90s that they adopted the late '80s Grand Am style nostrils/squircles.

My point exactly!

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I think your right!

I can see a company like BMW making an conserted effort to put the styling from the front of a mid 80's $12,000 V6 FWD sedan styling on a $70,000 car. Why did the rest of us miss something so clear? :lol:

Delorean has always admired the German cars but the original concept for the Pontiac nose was not inspored by BMW. Like wise did BMW work to make their cars look like a Pontiac.

It simply was just two car that just happened. But in the later yerars I would not be suprised if GM did make the cars like the Grand Am look a little more BMW like.

The 55 Chevy egg crate grill and headlight styling was stolen from Ferrari at the Paris autoshow in the early 50's. Harley Earl stole many ideas from other cars and eveloped thme into his own creations at a much lower price.

I think your right!

I can see a company like BMW making an conserted effort to put the styling from the front of a mid 80's $12,000 V6 FWD sedan styling on a $70,000 car. Why did the rest of us miss something so clear? :lol:

I wasn't saying they explicitly copied the Grand Am, it's coincidental, no doubt, because throughout the '80s BMW was making their front ends smaller, more aero and moving away from the forward leaning, tall noses that they had in the past.

Delorean has always admired the German cars but the original concept for the Pontiac nose was not inspored by BMW. Like wise did BMW work to make their cars look like a Pontiac.

It simply was just two car that just happened. But in the later years I would not be suprised if GM did make the cars like the Grand Am look a little more BMW like.

Quite likely...

Edited by moltar

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0