PANEL TRUCKS

XP715

Back in the days before people all pussied out and bought vans and box vans and trailers to transport their work equipment, REAL men and women drove panel trucks or sedan deliveries to get the job done. Please share!

el_mirage_dry_lake_50_panel_ezr.jpg

I would probably step over my own mother to have a 1948-1953 Chevrolet or GMC one-ton panel like this one, only mine would ideally be a work-worn original. Not really a fan of the 1954 models because of the one year only ugly grille (at least on the Chevrolet) and the one year only one-piece windshield (I like the split windshield- makes the truck look that much older). A 1955-1959 model would be awesome too, and OF COURSE a pre-1948 model would be acceptable as well.

cd5_9-1960.jpg

Finding something faded and worn but solid, forgotten in the back of an old barn or garage or warehouse, with fire and Civil Defense lettering like this 1950 Chevrolet one-ton panel truck would be one of my ultimate wants. Just make her safe and drivable and leave it original. I would probably sleep in the driveway with my arms around it.

I saw a '67 Chevy panel truck last year in Denver..those have to be pretty rare..

Most definitely so; they were discontinued after the 1970 model year. That generation was the end of them!

The panel DF is referring to is a 1946 Chevrolet that was used

by a local gentleman for his laundry pickup/drop off business.

And yes, though about 75% original, (tires, valve jobs & such)

the truck has almost half a million miles logged on it. The

genetleman who owned it retired from the laundry business in

the late 1980s... tells you how old he is. :)

I'm attaching some pictures of panel trucks I saw recently (Father's Day weekend) in Macungie (PA) Memorial Park at the ATHS (Antique Truck Historical Society) annual truck show. The fourth one was not at the show, but was originally a Civil Defense truck purchased by a fire dept and repainted red.

post-418-1214545414_thumb.jpg

post-418-1214545445_thumb.jpg

post-418-1214545494_thumb.jpg

post-418-1214545604_thumb.jpg

My family moved from Vancouver to Toronto in '71 in a '63 Ford Econoline. The engine was between the front seats! Kinda warm in the summer. Still, that old beastie dragged our 5 sorry asses, and U-haul full of crap through the Rockies and north of Superior with no complaint. My stepfather built a wooden bench with a foam cover for us kids to sit on. Those were in the pre-seatbelt days, of course.

The poor van met an untimely demise when it caught fire in our shed where my stepfather was working on it. By the time the local volunteer fire department arrived, my father had managed to push it into the driveway and it pretty much burned to the ground. No loss, IMO.

It was replaced with a much newer and much cooler '66 Pontiac wagon.

Most definitely so; they were discontinued after the 1970 model year. That generation was the end of them!

Panel versions of the current Tahoe and Suburban would look pretty cool, I think. With barn doors.

Edited by moltar

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...p3756.m14.l1318

This 1955 GMC one-ton panel is calling my name. It's got the right amount of wear without being a rotbox. All I'd do is go completely through the suspension, brakes, and engine/drivetrain and drive her as-is.

Can somebody please drag this home from Michigan for me?!?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...p3756.m14.l1318

This 1955 GMC one-ton panel is calling my name. It's got the right amount of wear without being a rotbox. All I'd do is go completely through the suspension, brakes, and engine/drivetrain and drive her as-is.

Can somebody please drag this home from Michigan for me?!?

Pretty solid beast for the money.

The guy who had your El Camino parts car was redoing a '57 Chevy panel truck not unlike this one:

sucp0704w06zbestofthebevj3.jpg

Most people that get on GM's bad side have black Suburbans after them, all I get is a lousy Chevette!

But, on the bright side, I can simply run one of those over. :AH-HA_wink:

If the black Suburbans are after you that's the US Government not GM (we drive white Cadillac ESVs,) if the US Government is after you all I can do for you is offer you asylum in Europe where you will have to drive Opels or Saabs all the rest of your days. :smilewide:

If the black Suburbans are after you that's the US Government not GM (we drive white Cadillac ESVs,) if the US Government is after you all I can do for you is offer you asylum in Europe where you will have to drive Opels or Saabs all the rest of your days. :smilewide:

You seem to not get the reference here - check out a few Camaro boards to get it.

You call driving Opels and Saabs asylum? Sounds more like exile to me. :AH-HA_wink:

Is a porthole pussy?

Here's a Ford Pinto panel wagon:

78pintopanelod7.jpg

Pintos in general are pussy, regardless of configuration. Redeem yourself by posting a pre-1936 Ford panel truck or sedan delivery NOW NOW NOW!

hennequin_mike_1957.jpg

I'd love this 1957 GMC panel with factory NAPCO 4 wheel drive. Maybe I should find an old panel and put it on modern running gear for a nice winter warrior!

I luv that GMC....

He should be given a citation for painting the 'dagmars' black.

Sure like utility vehicles like this with the white trim....so much better then the horrible black plastic used now. Have you seen a Chevy/GMC van lately.....just ghastly.