2008 Dodge Challenger road test

CMG

so 1/4 mile times are just under a mustang GT 1/4 i saw on past times...

Huh?!?!

Most Mustang GT times I've seen at our track were high 13s low 14s...

:scratchchin:

The Challenger is like every other LX car I would think, torque limited for the first 5000K or something. I'm sure high 12s will be fairly normal as we have many very high 12 second four door LXs at our track... the Challenger is a couple hundred pounds lighter.

The 2009 Challenger comes with a manual tranny and better gearing if 1/4 mile times are your main thing...

:AH-HA_wink:

I just searched as best I could, the same magazine (Edmunds) tested a Mustang GT and got a best time of [email protected] at the track. Maybe track differences, driver differences etc are better compared with the same magazine?

From

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...65/pageId=61306

Mind you, that was a 2005 Mustang GT, but I can't find Edmunds numbers for any of the newer GTs.

I'm sure there are faster times out there, I have personally watched a 13.9 Mustang GT at my track...

I saw a black Challenger yesterday, and it's truly got the "WOW" factor.

I know alot of you are biased etc but wait until they are more common on the road, they are a nice looking car, the performance and comfort will be icing on the cake.

If they can sell these for MSRP or less they will be selling quite well IMO.

I saw the Orange SRT Challenger the other day at a cruise in. At first I was pretty impressed. The front and tail are spot on and really do the original cars justice. It was the profile and the roofline that ruined it for me. Something in the proportions was odd from the side. One look at the interior did it in for me though. Unimpressed with the guts. Overall I would give the car a 7 out of 10. On the flip side of my little rant, I give Dodge an 11 for building the damned thing in the first place. The wow factor IS there and I am glad it is on the road. It will just never garner my money to have one in my driveway.

I think I know now why I find the new Challenger a disappointment.

The original had a very wide low slung look to it, which I like.

The new one is more upright, taller in appearance, and just plain massive looking for a pony car.

I guess your heart will be with the Mustang, because the Challenger and the upcoming Camaro are extremely similar in dimensions. Both the Camaro and the Challenger have a very bulky feel to them when sitting beside a Mustang.

Lotsa nice Mustangs though...

All of this hating over the Challenger and in some cases the Mustang. Of course this is to be expected to an extent on a GM board, but we should just be thankful that, for what may be one last time, the 3 American Icons are back to duke it out and piss in the eye of FWD blandess from the likes of Toyota, Honda, and so on.

All of this hating over the Challenger and in some cases the Mustang. Of course this is to be expected to an extent on a GM board, but we should just be thankful that, for what may be one last time, the 3 American Icons are back to duke it out and piss in the eye of FWD blandess from the likes of Toyota, Honda, and so on.

I appreciate and love the optimism, but your point is pretty irrelevant to what's being discussed.

[/hijack]

I am not a hater...I think it is a decent looking car...just do not think the interior lives up to the heritage of the car and it is out of proportion a bit compared to the original car. I am 1000% glad to see it back on the streets and doing battle against the Mustang and the soon to be released Camaro. I am also 1-million percent glad to see it was not a re-bodied Neon or Omni, as was the case with the Challenger in the 80's.

I am not a hater...I think it is a decent looking car...just do not think the interior lives up to the heritage of the car and it is out of proportion a bit compared to the original car. I am 1000% glad to see it back on the streets and doing battle against the Mustang and the soon to be released Camaro. I am also 1-million percent glad to see it was not a re-bodied Neon or Omni, as was the case with the Challenger in the 80's.

I do agree about the interior, a more retro lookw ould be cool. That being said my only real compaint is the steering wheel, because it's ugly and not sporty at all, other than that the interior is at least good quality and functional.

Preach it to us, brother Andrew!

Seriously, I am starting to love this car. It kinda took me awhile to "get it" but I think I kinda like it.

Chris

LOL

The biggest thing that sticks out about your post?

I am also 1-million percent glad to see it was not a re-bodied Neon or Omni, as was the case with the Challenger in the 80's.

Hahaha

OK, so you aren't into MoPars cause you SURE DON'T KNOW YER DAWRDGES!

The 1978 to 1983 Challengers had nothing whatsoever to do with "Neons" or "Omnis". They were Mitsubishis.

:duh:

As for the original Challenger's "heritage"? Take a look at the original Challenger's door panels in 1970, they are one big piece of plastic. The console? Weird shaped plastic with fake wood. Dash? Rallye cluster had four round gauges that were as accurate as a weather forecast. The present day Challenger could run circles around the original version, in any performance test you could think of, acceleration, braking, handling, gas mileage, drivability, whatever.

The new cars are a completely different breed, they can't be compared to the original cars in anything except for looks, and 1970 cars could get away with looking so good because functionality often took a back seat to form back then.

and

I do agree about the interior, a more retro lookw ould be cool. That being said my only real compaint is the steering wheel, because it's ugly and not sporty at all, other than that the interior is at least good quality and functional.

I agree. And I agree.

I would rather have three domestics battling it out for who likes what than some kid yelling V-Tec every time he shifts....

But that's just me....

:wavey:

The new cars are a completely different breed, they can't be compared to the original cars in anything except for looks, and 1970 cars could get away with looking so good because functionality often took a back seat to form back then.

I think the entire industry could use at least a light dose of that thinking right about now.

Otherwise, you are right of course.

My son Jeol and I went out to the local Dodge dealer and checked out the Challenger. They had TWO on the sales floor in Orange.

Sweet car, were I to buy one I'd take an R/T in B-5 blue with the heritage package...

Chris

Edited by 66Stang