41 hours without power!

The real bitch of it is that our power was out and the lines repaired, BEFORE the storms even hit!

All Peco had to do was throw a switch on the pole (literally a 5 minute job) and we would have had power throughout the storm that followed.

Rotten bastards.

A huge explosion in the power room of a major mid-town apartment building through 900 people out of their homes. They will be homeless for at least a month or so. The power room in the condo where my BF works also blew up about a year ago and they had to run off generators for 6 months.

There is a lot of aging, badly designed infrastructure out there. Private companies are slacking off on inspections and public utilities are full of lazy, self-entitled ne're do-wells.

We had all just better get used to it. Everything in North America was built 50-60 years ago and it is all OLD.

When I was younger, our family was without power for 7 days. We lived in Fresno, not out in the boonies, in one of the nicest parts of town, where they had all underground power. Pacific Gas & Electric basically said that they had a major failure and there was no part available. It was really bad in the mornings, thank god we still had gas service and gas water heaters. At night, it was not so bad, because we went out to dinner every night :).

Well, the big power outage that we had in '03 was fun for about the first 8 or so hours. I was liiving on the 26th floor. Fortunately, there were generators for the emergency hall and garage lighting and for the elevators. However, we had no water. I had the wits to try the laundry room taps and there was pressure there, so I was able to bring up pails of water for basic hygiene. My camping gear was locked away, so I had to get the frazzled super to let me into my locker to get my propane stove for coffee. Downtown Toronto was largely without power for about 24 hours. Parts of the city went longer.

There were lots of horror stories about tall buildings with no generators for elevators. I have walked DOWN 26 floors before, but not UP.

Eeegads...41 HOURS?

Why, that's almost 2 days.

Watch...now they'll raise your rates. he heh.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Something's wrong in the world today" ... Aerosmith ... 'Living On The Edge'

The longest we've been without power that I can remember was when Hurricane Isabel came up the coast in 2003, we didn't have electricity for two days. But it was interesting that we lost power not during the day when the storm hit our area hard, but at night, when it began to move into Pennsylvania. School was cancelled for the day before the storm hit (a Thursday) and during the storm (a Friday). That Saturday, my parents and I ventured into PA to buy a generator from a distant relative. As luck would have it, as soon as we handed over the check, loaded the Briggs & Stratton into the Venture, and got back onto I-83, our neighbor called and told us the power was back on.

Wow, that's AWFUL. And it brings back completely different memories of my previous year living on the Main Line in Wayne and never ONCE having even remotely a momentary power glitch in my apartment.

Completely the opposite of here in coastal Delaware where if it ever storms lightly for more than 5 minutes or a drunk somewhere decides to stray from the roadway, all dies and we have to live in what I refer to as "little house in the prairie land" for way too long and almost always at night. Just miserable especially in the heat and really puts things in perspective. We all have the Delmarva Power line on our cell speed dials and have to call as such WAY too often.

I like how they raised their rates 59% last year, and we still have the same lousy service.

Hah, yes 8)

I hear that quite often. What still baffles me is how MUCH the power goes out. Knock on wood, but it honestly seems like every time there's a blip of a storm in the area there's at least a flicker if not a total lights out, almost like the system is made of bubble gum and tooth picks. Case in point, tonight just rain with a few thunder rumbles, and it fluttered a few times. Actually, what gets me about it all, is at least in this area...so much is under ground. It's not even exposed to the elements, yet still issues.

I've grown accustomed--at least while here at home--calling and getting the "Crews have been dispatched, estimated restoration time is unknown". Hah. Oh well, I guess nothing's perfect.

But as the topic started, I had flawless service with PECO in PA, and actually nice and easy speaking with them as well.

The real bitch of it is that our power was out and the lines repaired, BEFORE the storms even hit!

Growing up our power was like that. I'll never forget, one day, we had a sun shower. Literally, the sun was blinding, it was drizzling, you heard one single low grumble of thunder, and of course, the power went out. I live on eastern Long Island now, and since the areas are newer, the power lines are buried mostly. Although, today's storms were so severe the lights actually went out for a while. Thank God for laptops though, I was able to write my paper during it.

Hah, yes 8)

I hear that quite often. What still baffles me is how MUCH the power goes out. Knock on wood, but it honestly seems like every time there's a blip of a storm in the area there's at least a flicker if not a total lights out, almost like the system is made of bubble gum and tooth picks. Case in point, tonight just rain with a few thunder rumbles, and it fluttered a few times. Actually, what gets me about it all, is at least in this area...so much is under ground. It's not even exposed to the elements, yet still issues.

I've grown accustomed--at least while here at home--calling and getting the "Crews have been dispatched, estimated restoration time is unknown". Hah. Oh well, I guess nothing's perfect.

But as the topic started, I had flawless service with PECO in PA, and actually nice and easy speaking with them as well.

That kind of service is a thing of the past with PECO these days.