Officially a stockholder

I bought 50 shares of Ford today @ $5.10, my first trade in the stock market. After the yesterday's earnings tumble (F lost about $.90) and the Ford's outlook the next couple years, I feel like it's a pretty solid investment. I'm planning on buying more soon, and hopefully some GM in a few months after I have some time to watch it. I went through ShareBuilder.com and it's pretty easy to use considering I have no previous experience with stock markets.

Does anyone else hold any automotive stock? Or just stock in general?

i had some ford and sold it too quickly... had it around 6 before it went up to ~7.50

still have ~30 shares of GM, got one dividend payment. no use of selling it now, unless i really need about 2/3 of what i bought it at.

not yet... market hasn't hit rock bottom.

I mean i paid alot in capital gains in the past 2 years so i think i figured out the stock market. if you want to make money GM and F are not were to look

Well, I'm definitely looking to go long with Ford; I'm not a short player.

What are some good, cheap stocks that have a lot of potential for growth? The tech sector was on fire about a year ago but like everything else, it seems to have cooled with the rest of the market. I've read that GE has a lot of potential for growth if wind energy takes off, but I'm not sure I'm ready to invest $42/share or whatever it was at this point.

i own 1 share of coca cola my uncle bought me when i was 6.... does that count? :P

It's better than the "stockings" I own :AH-HA_wink: ... when my grandmother was alive and I was a little boy, she used to call my socks stockings because she didn't know the word for "socks" in English. And no matter how many times I tried to tell her, she never remembered it.

Well, I'm definitely looking to go long with Ford; I'm not a short player.

What are some good, cheap stocks that have a lot of potential for growth? The tech sector was on fire about a year ago but like everything else, it seems to have cooled with the rest of the market. I've read that GE has a lot of potential for growth if wind energy takes off, but I'm not sure I'm ready to invest $42/share or whatever it was at this point.

GE Closed at 28.71 on Friday

I bought 50 shares of Ford today @ $5.10, my first trade in the stock market. After the yesterday's earnings tumble (F lost about $.90) and the Ford's outlook the next couple years, I feel like it's a pretty solid investment. I'm planning on buying more soon, and hopefully some GM in a few months after I have some time to watch it. I went through ShareBuilder.com and it's pretty easy to use considering I have no previous experience with stock markets.

Does anyone else hold any automotive stock? Or just stock in general?

I too bought Ford stock yesterday, just a 100 shares but like you I think they have a future! :unitedstates:

plz dont use sharebuilder... quite possibly the worst brokerage company i know

they dont even have good prices

It doesn't seem that bad...it's only $10 a trade. I went with the basic plan since it's free and I probably won't be a hardcore investor.

I also looked at Scott Trade, but you have to invest $500 minimum to open an account. Ameritrade was the same price as ShareBuilder, and E-trade was a couple bucks more.

I own about 300 Ford shares, and 200-something GM. Recently, I've bought up a few hundred nVidia, and on Friday, I picked up 300 AMD. There's others too, but they are mostly Canadian companies.

AMD should be a good buy...their ati division is looking good, and the 45nm chips should be out in a few months...hopefully.

i have some when it was ~6.15

It doesn't seem that bad...it's only $10 a trade. I went with the basic plan since it's free and I probably won't be a hardcore investor.

I also looked at Scott Trade, but you have to invest $500 minimum to open an account. Ameritrade was the same price as ShareBuilder, and E-trade was a couple bucks more.

I used to have sharebuilder, very upset with them, perhaps they are better since they were purchased... but there limit selling or buying was a much higher price, if i recall... do it with who you want, i use usaa, and they only work with military... very happy with the services they provide to me.

Sharebuilder doesnt know how to do 1099's for tax purposes, so be forwarned... you will need to do your own...

I used to have sharebuilder, very upset with them, perhaps they are better since they were purchased... but there limit selling or buying was a much higher price, if i recall... do it with who you want, i use usaa, and they only work with military... very happy with the services they provide to me.

Sharebuilder doesnt know how to do 1099's for tax purposes, so be forwarned... you will need to do your own...

Thanks for the tip on the 1099....I had no idea what that was an had to look it up...

Do you have to fill out a 1099 every year even if you haven't pulled any money out of your account?

Edited by mustang84

Thanks for the tip on the 1099....I had no idea what that was an had to look it up...

Do you have to fill out a 1099 every year even if you haven't pulled any money out of your account?

any year you make money, dividends, or intrest... or loss money for that matter...

everyone should do one with their savings accounts with their banks... but most rarely make enough for the govn to care...

AMD should be a good buy...their ati division is looking good, and the 45nm chips should be out in a few months...hopefully.

i have some when it was ~6.15

It's at 4.30'ish now, and essentially at its 52-week low. Although figures are gloomy with Intel owning 80% of the processor market, I still don't think that equates a share price in the 4.30's. Plus, ATI's midrange GPU's have given nVidia's offerings a run for their money, and I do believe the 'Spider' platform will be a draw as more people start shopping for computers like they are video game systems.

But also, owning shares in both nVidia, and AMD/ATI is a great mindf**k for the fanboys.