How to handle people who steal others' food at work!!!

Because that is one foul thing to do, one is busy working, and another thinks that lunch that person brought is fair game to take from the fridge and eat or take home.

What kind of people think this is cool? What is their motivation? This disgusts me big time, since those types never own up to it.

What are your stories, and what have you or another person done about it?

Is it a common "shared" food (chips, cookies, etc.) or presented in such a way that would lead others to believe it is free for the taking (clear Tupperware, clear plastic bag, perhaps a large quantity), or is it stuff like sandwiches and salads being taken out of personal lunch bags or coolers or brown bags with people's names on it?

From stories I've heard, all of the above have been knicked. I find that sort of thing disrespectful. No matter what it was, I'd ask around the job to make sure it open game, and that's IF I really wanted it.

Some chips or bagels or a 2-liter or gallon of drink is one thing....but a sandwich? Someone's home cooking? Even a TV dinner? That's just not right.

At my old workplace which was a grocery store, we had a problem of one or two assholes grabbing other people's food out of the fridge. I caught on fast when I noticed my chocolate milk disappeared, and kept my lunch in my locker... but other people would lose entire lunches, and totally have their day ruined.

Plus, every day there'd always be day-old food coming up to the staff room that was still good, usually bags of chips, juice or even pies. However, instead of sharing, the people who's day ended first would just load up on the stuff, and leave, while the rest of us come up to an empty table. I even caught one cashier cramming her purse with about three bags of chips, and a dozen packs of gum, and leaving half a bag, and a couple sticks for the rest of us. Bitch.

Edited by Captainbooyah

... umm how my old boss did it almost killed a guy...

this one employee would always come in with a big slurpy... and one of the other guys would always take a huge swig, like half the damn cup...

one day he got tired of his drink getting drank, so he put some drainol in it... well, sure enough the guy took a big of a sip he could before the drainol collapsed his throat, said he couldnt breath or anything... rushed to the hospital... never drank the other guys drink again...

From stories I've heard, all of the above have been knicked. I find that sort of thing disrespectful. No matter what it was, I'd ask around the job to make sure it open game, and that's IF I really wanted it.

Some chips or bagels or a 2-liter or gallon of drink is one thing....but a sandwich? Someone's home cooking? Even a TV dinner? That's just not right.

Yep, seen that happen where I work..and it can be hard to stop too...

O lost a few lunches last year like that...

What you can do is take a red sharpie, the kind with the big tip on it and just coat one side of the item in it and hope that it all doesn't sink in so when they grab the item they will have red fingers from the sharpie. Then you can tell who took it. Or just spit in the drink or liquid you bring, sweet revenge.

oooh...go with Gastric Distress caused by an ex-lax brownie or two. Also, another (not so well known one here) is the sugar free jelly beans sold in most pharmacies. Put them in a ziploc so that they look to be taken out of a larger bag (portioned) - you eat an entire helping of those things in one sitting and you will have GAS FROM HELL in 99% of the people who hae done this. There should be a warning label on the things - it is painful and I can tell you from experience, there will be NO MORE of those things NEAR me. If either of these is done, the person stealing the food will not be doing it again.

Of course, you COULD leave the Egg Salad sandwich out in the car overnight before placing it in the fridge...mmmm...salmonella!

Bring a sack lunch, and leave it at your desk or not in a shared area such as the fridge. Use a cold pack if needed.

Sounds like the best preventative option.

Heard a lot of revenge options. But only one catch-them-in-the-act option, and it sounds like some real detective work.