Uplander replacement spotted... and has a name!

2010 Chevrolet Tacuma

2011-Chevrolet-Tacuma.jpg

As reported, this family hauler should be based on the Delta platform, which also underpins the Chevy Volt and Chevy Cruze. What will this new GM minivan be like? Similar in proportions to the Mazda5, this minivan will not be a reinterpretation of previous generations of GM minivans. Notice those rear doors? They look like they're hinged at the front. Rather than long and short, these two testers seem to follow the European model of a tall van with short overhangs. With murmurs this vehicle could be built alongside the Volt, are we looking at the first major hybrid-electric minivan?

Interesting... Tacuma was the name of the Daewoo model they had in Europe and elsewhere. I would assume for NA they will call it something else (Tacuma sounds too much like Tacoma).

Edited by moltar

Since it's Delta based, I wonder if it will eventually replace the HHR in Chevy's lineup. I thought I read somewhere that the HHR would eventually be replaced by a more contemporary vehicle that can seat up to seven people. This looks like it may possibly be that replacement.

Since it's Delta based, I wonder if it will eventually replace the HHR in Chevy's lineup. I thought I read somewhere that the HHR would eventually be replaced by a more contemporary vehicle that can seat up to seven people. This looks like it may possibly be that replacement.

Here's the link to the article that talks about future Chevy product plans (including the HHR replacement):

undefined

If this replaces the HHR I do not see it selling the 100,000 units a year the HHR has sold in each of the last 3 years. Yes this year also was just a few units less than 100,000 in a bad sale year.

I myself never considered a HHR till the SS and now I own one. I bought it in part because it got good milage, was fun to drive, will carry about anything I need to haul and it is not a traditional mini van. Above all most people buy the HHR because it is a good value.

Chevy need to keep the HHR as it's own identity. I would like them to move the styling a little more like the HHR Nomad show car with the more modern Malibu nose but the more 1955's roof line. Chrysler failed when it changed the PT but it still looked the same.

I work with 9 people that also own HHR's and would not buy the vehicle pictured as we all wanted something different.

Lets also face it how often does anyone need to carry 7 passengers? I rarely carry 4.

Chevy does not need to do another generic box that looks like a Mazda and 4 or 5 other vehicles.

The HHR is an easy sale just keep moving the design to a unique but stylis design. And keep it cheap.

Oh, the HHR name has nothing to do with the popularity it is all about being different and affordable. You call it what ever but it must be cool in a differnt kind of way.

Edited by hyperv6

Chevy does not need to do another generic box that looks like a Mazda and 4 or 5 other vehicles.

I think the Mazda5 is anything but a generic box. It is contemporary yet unique in its own right (at least in North America). The only generic Mazda products are the rebadged Ford clone vehicles (Tribute and B-Series).

I do understand and agree with your appreciation for the current HHR's cool and distinct retro design, however.

I think the Mazda5 is anything but a generic box. It is contemporary yet unique in its own right (at least in North America). The only generic Mazda products are the rebadged Ford clone vehicles (Tribute and B-Series).

I do understand and agree with your appreciation for the current HHR's cool and distinct retro design, however.

Mazda does better than most Asian import to be different but the 5 is nothing more than something to appeal to an average Caravan owner.

After reading some of the HHR web sites over the last few weeks I can onlyhear the wailing and nashing of teeth over there when this is presented as the replacment.

IF the HHR was not selling 100,000 units I could see a change to a new modern styling but to make it look like everyone else this thing will not even come close to 100,000. The different styling like it or not along with the affordable price is a badge of honor with HHR owners.

Lets face it the HHR sell great and they do it with nealy no advertising. I still have many people who think my SS is a custom because they never saw or heard of one. Now do that with this box.

dsc00336qc9.jpg

To me my HHR is my daily driver but to many it is their toy and car to fix up and play with. these people would put a poster of it on the wall. I just don't see that with this thing.

My feeling is Lutz was over ruled on this one.

Edited by hyperv6

Interesting... Tacuma was the name of the Daewoo model they had in Europe and elsewhere. I would assume for NA they will call it something else (Tacuma sounds too much like Tacoma).

Yeah, seems so many journalists have their heads stuck in 1997. I'm waiting for them to announce they have spy photos of the new Chevrolet Leganza. GM already renamed the Rezzo/Tacuma the Chevrolet Vivant for new markets, and this minivan will get another new name.

This is not the HHR replacement. This is an MPV, the HHR is a smaller crossover SUV. I don't know if you'll get an actual HHR replacement, or just a new compact Chevrolet crossover (and the latter is definitely in development), but either way, this is not it.

Oh, and ocn, expensive gas and the Kia Rondo have done wonders for Mazda5 sales, and GM is better at this segment (three-row, 7-seat compact minivans) than anyone. They didn't invent it, and they no longer have the most stylish or advanced entries (I would credit the Grand Scenic and Grand C4 Picasso there), but they lead its revival after the Japanese abandoned it, they still sell more than anyone else, and everyone else is still copying them, except for the latter two mentioned, almost slavishly. Touran, Corolla Verso, Mazda5 etc. could not be more like the Zafira without risk of legal action. At least the French alternatives show some originality. For that matter this Chevrolet shows more originality than the standard non-GM entries.

Mazda does better than most Asian import to be different but the 5 is nothing more than something to appeal to an average Caravan owner.

After reading some of the HHR web sites over the last few weeks I can onlyhear the wailing and nashing of teeth over there when this is presented as the replacment.

IF the HHR was not selling 100,000 units I could see a change to a new modern styling but to make it look like everyone else this thing will not even come close to 100,000. The different styling like it or not along with the affordable price is a badge of honor with HHR owners.

Lets face it the HHR sell great and they do it with nealy no advertising. I still have many people who think my SS is a custom because they never saw or heard of one. Now do that with this box.

dsc00336qc9.jpg

To me my HHR is my daily driver but to many it is their toy and car to fix up and play with. these people would put a poster of it on the wall. I just don't see that with this thing.

I bet you are right on about Lutz being overruled on this one. Of course right now the two we see are heavily camo'd cars. Who knows what they will look like in person. I for one LOVE the HHR SS and want one very badly. They are so hot here in the midwest, that there are NO HHR's or HHR SS's on the lots within 50 miles of me for more than a day or two. In Des Moines, dealers are getting OVER STICKER for them when they hit the lots. You heard that right.

My only hope on the HHR re-make is that they make it a bit wider, a little longer and stretch the back seat a bit to make it more usable for actual family hauling abilities when needed. I would own one if they were a smidgen larger in all directions.

Glad to see your HHR SS was put back together really well.

Well, if I ever want to own an HHR, I'd better run out and buy one soon, if this thing is its replacement. What a generic box it is... and the Mazda5 is not selling well, afaik.

Love the HHR. I don't see chevy making a mazda5 clone to replace the HHR.

Myself I would like the HHR to be a little larger, not much though. Maybe the max it should be is equiunox size.

HHR really out to be on epsilon, but then it would not be as inexpensive. catch 22.

Why GM doesn't have a simple crossover on Epsilon boggles the mind.

Mazda 5 stumbled out of the sales gate but has sold like gangbusters lately. however, it really needs better mpg if the owner is going to suffer by having a slow 4 popper to move all those people. 25mpg real world, 22 most of the time is the book i hear on the mazda 5. A FWD taurus will get you that with 263hp under the hood.

design wise, the HHR hood is too long and the vehicle could be wider with fender flares not quite so pronounced. Make the innards more spacious and lighten the pillars a bit. that's nitpicking really. HHR is shining star IMHO.

Edited by regfootball

If this replaces the HHR I do not see it selling the 100,000 units a year the HHR has sold in each of the last 3 years. Yes this year also was just a few units less than 100,000 in a bad sale year.

I myself never considered a HHR till the SS and now I own one. I bought it in part because it got good milage, was fun to drive, will carry about anything I need to haul and it is not a traditional mini van. Above all most people buy the HHR because it is a good value.

Chevy need to keep the HHR as it's own identity. I would like them to move the styling a little more like the HHR Nomad show car with the more modern Malibu nose but the more 1955's roof line. Chrysler failed when it changed the PT but it still looked the same.

I work with 9 people that also own HHR's and would not buy the vehicle pictured as we all wanted something different.

Lets also face it how often does anyone need to carry 7 passengers? I rarely carry 4.

The HHR is an easy sale just keep moving the design to a unique but stylis design. And keep it cheap.

Oh, the HHR name has nothing to do with the popularity it is all about being different and affordable. You call it what ever but it must be cool in a differnt kind of way.

Spot on!

The HHR is appealing because it is UNIQUE and TRULY AMERICAN in design.

GM has a real opportunity to make it a sort of halo (design and style-wise) as people move to small cars.

To throw that out the window would betypical GM, and a shame.

Just the death of one more interesting car in exchange for more euro inspired junk IMO.

And that's a very sharp HHR BTW!!!

Oh, and as for Lutz, he was "shut up and removed from power" a while back as far as I can tell. I think his death knell was the death of Zeta. The corporate bureaucracy that had been quietly lurking under the surface (but contained) finally gained enough momentum to turn the tide at GM (again) and Lutz is no more than a mouthpiece that is waiting to retire. Notice he doesn't even do many interviews anymore?

This bureaucracy is so ignorant that it can't see that it's killing itself. So, as PCS likes to say, grab some popcorn and enjoy the story of the Titanic - Detroit style.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I know it may not make sense, but if this is the HHR replacement, they should keep the name HHR. It's developed a bit of a following with those who've purchased one.

But there's nothing "Heritage" or "Hot Rod" about it.

I think the HHR should stay what it is, a small retro entry vehicle.

As far as the minivan, at least it's more contemporary vs a regular minivan. But the Uplander does need replaced.... it should've never came out in the first place. They could've saved $$ and just gave the Venture a facelift and interior upgrade.

Mr. Lutz has had a lot of great ideas and suggestions that have been consistently unraveled and derailed by corporate bean counters as well as the corporation's structural and financial demons. I haven't always agreed with everything he has suggested or done, but at least he gave the impression that the status quo at GM needed to be drastically changed.

I bet you are right on about Lutz being overruled on this one. Of course right now the two we see are heavily camo'd cars. Who knows what they will look like in person. I for one LOVE the HHR SS and want one very badly. They are so hot here in the midwest, that there are NO HHR's or HHR SS's on the lots within 50 miles of me for more than a day or two. In Des Moines, dealers are getting OVER STICKER for them when they hit the lots. You heard that right.

My only hope on the HHR re-make is that they make it a bit wider, a little longer and stretch the back seat a bit to make it more usable for actual family hauling abilities when needed. I would own one if they were a smidgen larger in all directions.

Glad to see your HHR SS was put back together really well.

Well this is a day before the crash picture. But I saw it yesterday and I am please with the repair so far. They say it should be ready to pick up Friday. I had to wait till they got the SS front bumper cover but it is painted and ready to be installed.

All the parts are new GM and nothing was seriously bent. the only paint will be on the bumper as the sheetmetal held up well.

Come back after a test drive of a HHR SS and say there is nothing Hot Rod about it.

I think HHR stands for 'Heritage High Roof' (i.e. supposed to look like a scaled-down '48-54 Suburban), rather than 'Heritage Hot Rod'..

I don't see a point to a mazda 5-sized vehicle, save for the current HHR which inspires heritage and preaches difference from the mainstream. I like the HHR, and surprisingly in my area, they are pretty well received. Minivan-like vehicles are too hard a market to uphold. GM, Ford and Chrysler all have such bad minivans, that any new and improved minivans in their upcoming future wouldn't ever catapult them to the ranks of Honda or Toyota's offerings, not in the consumer's eyes anyway. I say give them that dying breed of crap. There are plenty of alternatives to the minivan that most any family would need anyways.

Both HHR and Vivant can coexist, both as Chevrolets, both resting on Delta, IMO.

HHR could be the standard C-segment family wagon (Focus Estate, Astra Caravan, Golf Variant) albeit with distinctive Americana styling. Some say it's hard to redesign retro models, but the HHR could stand to be even more expressive, more art deco, and less cartoony.

Vivant could be the C-segment MPV (C-MAX, Zafira, Touran) and focus more on load capacity and passenger space.

Personally I'm a huge fan of the Citroen Berlingo Multispace, a small commercial van turned into a cheap and cheerful people hauler. You can get it with interior roof boxes, shelves, skylights, and whatnot...

be4_378510a.jpg

be10_378506a.jpg

Having missed the recent minivan boom, the Vivant is a good opportunity for GM, as Honda and Toyota are likely to downsize their Odysseys and Siennas and offer four-cylinder engines.

Here's the Estima (nee Previa) Hybrid, sold in Japan and Hong Kong...

2005toyota_estima-hybrid_01.jpg

And here's the Stream, which is coming to the US...

20060713-2007-honda-stream.jpg

And an Outlander is on the same platform as the Lancer and Caliber, the Journey on the same platform as the Avenger, a Tiguan on the Golf … There is nary a crossover SUV that isn't based on the same platform as a sedan, so what is your point exactly? It is in form, a truck, a downsized, retro Suburban.

The Stream was a low-roofed monospace, but has evolved into the 7-seat wagon posted above (Peugeot's 307 SW and new 308 SW are similar, albeit taller wagons). The Berlingo is a typical European LCV, a type of vehicle which has evolved from 2-door high-roof panel-vans based on compact and subcompact hatchbacks (a much smaller version of the aftermarket Express box vans you may have seen in the US). PSA's Berlingo/Partner twins, and the Renault Kangoo redesigned them as unique commercial vans, with more doors, much more space and utility, and like larger vans offered passenger versions as well. Opel, VW, Ford and Fiat quickly followed when their LCVs came up for renewal. The Berlingo posted above and the new Kangoo are the second generation of these new LCVs, and both PSA and Renault have now added new compact models beneath them. The HHR Panel, though no where near as flexible or spacious, has filled this role in the US, and of course the Transit Connect will take this to the next level. Given that Chevy's new compact crossover will be much more like the Tiguan and Kuga, it sould make sense to evolve the HHR into a retro-modern LCV more like the Berlingo. A modern high-roof design for Opel to replace the Combo, and a retro-Suburban high-roof LCV to replace the HHR and HHR Panel would be ideal, and no more difficult than doing both the Enclave and Acadia. I'm sure many of you could easily photoshop a European LCV into a NG HHR to show what I mean.

Anyway to me the new Chevy … looks more like a pint-sized Dodge Grand Caravan (the new squarish one). The HHR rides too high to qualify as a wagon, and doesn't have the form of even a 5-seat compact MPV, which the PT Cruiser most approximates (a-la Scenic, Corolla Rumion/xB and new Meriva, among others).

Here's the Estima (nee Previa) Hybrid, sold in Japan and Hong Kong...

2005toyota_estima-hybrid_01.jpg

The Estima has always been called the Estima, it is not nee anything (there was once an Estima Emina, you can understand why that never made it out of Japan). It was in export markets called the Previa/Tarago, and replaced the LiteAce/TownAce passenger van variants (Tarago in Australia), which continue as the Noah/Voxy (the commercial Lite-Ace/Town-Ace has gone back to its roots as a subcompact van/pickup, now built by Daihatsu). In some export markets as well Toyota has offered both the Estima/Previa and the Town-Ace/Lite-Ace/Noah at oen time or another.

I think HHR stands for 'Heritage High Roof' (i.e. supposed to look like a scaled-down '48-54 Suburban), rather than 'Heritage Hot Rod'..

The name is Heritage High Roof and it is a knock off of the 49 Suburban to be exact per Chevys statment.. This is all common knowledge form 3 years ago.

The Hot Rod statment was based on the performance of the SS not the HHR name!

I still love how the press said Lutz was too late with this and the HHR was going to tank 3 years ago. Right now at 300,000+ served I know the dealer where I bought mine wishes they could get more with sales doing well for them.

Edited by hyperv6

funny, given that it is on delta, I always thought the HHR was nothing more than a Cobalt Wagon.

I don't really think anyone considers it a crossover or an SUV, anymore than the PT was a Neon.

It is a tall Cobalt wagon but in the eyes of the goverment it is a SUV.

That way it gives GM a truck that gets over 30 MPG highway to off set the CAFE of large SUV and truck poor CAFE.

Chrysler did the samething with the PT as it was termed a SUV. Unless it was a convertible and then it became a car in the eyes to the goverment since it had no hatch.

The HHR does not qualify as an truck under CAFE because it's an SUV. In most cases only an awd SUV would qualify as a truck, and only if it offers suitable ground clearance. The 2wd versions would not unless there was some other reason to class them as commercial vehicles (i.e. a primary cargo-hauling capability, which is what qualifies most vans and the PT Cruiser, not as SUVs, but as trucks). How the EPA classes it for the separate fuel economy estimate is unrelated. Since that is only for comparative purposes, they're not so nitpicky. A fwd high-roof LCV design would more easily be classed as a truck for CAFE since a primary cargo-carrying mode is built-in.

And an Outlander is on the same platform as the Lancer and Caliber, the Journey on the same platform as the Avenger, a Tiguan on the Golf … There is nary a crossover SUV that isn't based on the same platform as a sedan, so what is your point exactly? It is in form, a truck, a downsized, retro Suburban.

I think many perceive the HHR as a wagon, not as a crossover SUV (truck), because its appearance doesn't fit the mold of most jacked-up cute-utes. Its ground clearance appears low, its approach/departure angles are rather conservative, and it doesn't offer AWD. But then, of course, a minivan has those same attributes, and most would consider that a truck. What confuses me is that many wagons have cargo-hauling intentions, too, yet are not categorized as trucks. Is it a matter of payload?

The Stream was a low-roofed monospace, but has evolved into the 7-seat wagon posted above (Peugeot's 307 SW and new 308 SW are similar, albeit taller wagons). The Berlingo is a typical European LCV, a type of vehicle which has evolved from 2-door high-roof panel-vans based on compact and subcompact hatchbacks (a much smaller version of the aftermarket Express box vans you may have seen in the US). PSA's Berlingo/Partner twins, and the Renault Kangoo redesigned them as unique commercial vans, with more doors, much more space and utility, and like larger vans offered passenger versions as well. Opel, VW, Ford and Fiat quickly followed when their LCVs came up for renewal. The Berlingo posted above and the new Kangoo are the second generation of these new LCVs, and both PSA and Renault have now added new compact models beneath them. The HHR Panel, though no where near as flexible or spacious, has filled this role in the US, and of course the Transit Connect will take this to the next level. Given that Chevy's new compact crossover will be much more like the Tiguan and Kuga, it sould make sense to evolve the HHR into a retro-modern LCV more like the Berlingo. A modern high-roof design for Opel to replace the Combo, and a retro-Suburban high-roof LCV to replace the HHR and HHR Panel would be ideal, and no more difficult than doing both the Enclave and Acadia. I'm sure many of you could easily photoshop a European LCV into a NG HHR to show what I mean.

I like that idea - I'm all for seeing European-style LCVs in the US, but something like the Combo may have too high of a roof for the HHR concept, especially since many perceive the HHR as a wagon, not a van. I know many owners like the HHR's hot rod, gun-slit window theme - something that would be easier to achieve with a wagon.

I'm having a hard time envisioning the conversion of this...

Opel_Combo_1.6CNG.jpg

... to this:

2008_Chevy_HHR_SS.jpg

I'd rather see the HHR as the Estate version of the Cruze, but apparently there's already one coming.

This new Chevy here looks like a C-MAX, Touran, Zafira competitor - in that it's an MPV derived from a C-segment hatch or sedan (Cruze), much like the dead Tacuma.

The HHR is best called a cross over as it is a car with small truck like or van like qualities.

I can haul a 9 foot ladder and a bunch of 2x4's and still do 155 mph while pulling .86 G's. It a car, it's a SUV, it is best discribed as a HHR. It is in a class of it's own.

To be honest a cross over does not have to be AWD and as time goes on more of the cross overs will be class breaking. Scion is not much different.

As for that blue thing above it looks like a Popemobile.

C-MPVs are in 3 classes, from smaller to larger:

2-Row 5/6-seaters:

Skoda Roomster (smaller than this are 5-seat B-MPVs)

VW Golf Plus

Toyota Corolla Rumion (new Scion xB)

next Opel Meriva

Renault Scenic II

late Nissan Tino

Mercedes B-Class

Honda FR-V (6-seats in two rows)

Chrysler PT Cruiser

Dongfeng Joyear

Seat Altea

Ford Focus C-Max

Daewoo Rezzo/Tacuma (Chevrolet Vivant)

Chana Guanggao

Citroen C4 Picasso

3-Row 6-7 seaters

Honda Freed (outside Japan it would probably be a 2-row MPV)

Lada Nadezhda (Lada Niva-based, now out of production)

Toyota Corolla Verso

Volkswagen Touran

Landwind Fashion

the 1983-1988 Mitsubishi Chariot (the seminal model, sold as a Dodge?)

Mitsubishi Dion

Opel Zafira

Renault Grand Scenic

Mazda Premacy (Mazda5)

Nissan Lafesta

Kia Carens/Rondo

Honda Stream (previous model)

Toyota Wish

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso (bigger than this are 3-row D-MPVs in distinct low- medium and high-roof subclasses, of which the Japanese may have one of each; in the case of Toyota 2 or 3 or each).

AUVs (truck-based compact MPVs for Asian markets), from 5-8 seats

Mitsubishi Freeca/Adventure

Chevrolet Tavera/Isuzu Panther/Hi-Lander

Toyota (Kijang) Innova (the latest and greatest)

Mitsubishi Zinger

Both Toyota and GM considered selling their AUVs in certain "western" markets, but nothing came of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure it has a name, and it's "Orlando". What's next, the Saturn Anaheim?

Chevrolet Orlando Show Car Signals Entry into New Segment for the Brand

* Paris Motor Show Preview: First images of the seven-seat multi-purpose family vehicle

Zurich — The Orlando show car, making its world premiere at the Paris Motor Show in October, is clear indication that Chevrolet considers to enter the seven-seat family multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) segment with a distinctive sport utility-like design, offering adaptable seating and impressive interior space.

Based on the recently announced all-new Cruze compact sedan, the Orlando show car carries Chevrolet's signature design language into a new vehicle segment. It explores the potential of combining the versatility attributes of a sport utility, family van and wagon in a single execution. …

icon11.gif Go to full release at AutoReport

Do I really need to say it every time? "AutoReport had pics up at 4am."

Edited by thegriffon

If priced and marketed correctly, this is one little Chevy that I think would sell very, very well. I really like the design on that interior, and the exterior would make a very interesting addition to the upcoming Chevy showroom. I like it.