Abortion

Flag burning

Gay marriage

Cloning

The drug war

"In God We Trust"

"Under God"

A tax code crafted so that no one can understand it

Most of this stuff could be solved by people simply minding ther own business.

The simple truth is that we no longer respect the freedom of others to be what, how, and who they choose to be.

The things we Americans waste our time on:

Abortion

Flag burning

Gay marriage

Cloning

The drug war

"In God We Trust"

"Under God"

The simple truth is that we no longer respect the freedom of others to be what, how, and who they choose to be.

I agree.... all of those are irrelevant (except maybe the tax code) compared to the important, quality of life issues that affect all citizens, like the economy, national security, international relations, immigration policies, trade policies, etc.

Edited by moltar

Is this all because I want to marry you after I make my atheist illegal-immigrant cocaine-addicted girlfriend abort her second baby because she cloned her first one for the tax benefits and burned an American flag in anger?

Seriously though, I just don't understand the compulsion in this country with minding everyone else's business.

Aren't we supposed to be about freedom?

Is this all because I want to marry you after I make my atheist illegal-immigrant cocaine-addicted girlfriend abort her second baby because she cloned her first one for the tax benefits and burned an American flag in anger?

That depends.... is she a lesbian now?

Seriously though, I just don't understand the compulsion in this country with minding everyone else's business.

Aren't we supposed to be about freedom?

with freedom comes responsibility.

with freedom comes responsibility.

The responsibility to what? Prevent gays from legally protecting each other? To ensure that the word "God" appears on our currency? To ensure that no one can responsibly smoke pot?

The responsibility to what? Prevent gays from legally protecting each other? To ensure that the word "God" appears on our currency? To ensure that no one can responsibly smoke pot?

i'd say promote justice.

as long as "gay" is replace by people, no.

started in 56. no.

no.

The responsibility to what? To ensure that the word "God" appears on our currency?

I, for one, love that we have "God" on our currency. It's such a delicious irony.

I think as a people we are losing our civility. I have been haunting some political forums lately and epithets of 'racist,' 'bigot,' and 'right-winger' get bandied about quite easily. People just don't want to hear other people's opinions any more. We've already made our minds up and the rest of you are idiots.

PS: Me being called a 'right-winger.' My BF had a good laugh at that one!

I agree with the above sentiments. I visit a skyscraper / urban development board occasionally where the general consensus leans strongly in one direction and it gets pretty nasty in there toward anyone on the other side of the fence. I myself don't really fit under either party; I see good and bad things in both.

The problem today is that people have such short tempers and don't have the patience to listen to an opposing argument. Sometimes I wonder if it is due to the popularity of the internet, where you can be as bullheaded as you want while remaining completely anonymous. We get a lot of our news from the web these days, and much of it is unbalanced and filled with slant. These nasty attitudes then spill out into our face-to-face interactions, and suddenly people are labeled merely because they associate with a certain party (even if they don't share all of the views).

The 2000 elections and the Iraq War really divided this nation, and I'm not sure if we'll ever get that unity back that we once had.

My point is that we waste our energies trying to make everyone comply with one set of morals or another as if we were all the same. It just seems so idiotic to me.

If being a bible thumper is your thing, then fine. Just allow me to not be one in peace.

Simple.

In this country like no other diversity is strength, yet we do our best to stamp it out at every turn with some demand for some sort of enforced conformity.

Utterly senseless.

We will never all agree on most of these "issues" so why not leave it to individual choice and judgement?

Everybody wins that way - we can each live as we choose.

Sounds like real freedom to me.

I missed Fly's wit. :lol:

And yes, our biggest problem, and interesting the biggest problem with religion is that we can't just mind our of f@#king business.

Edited by Dodgefan

My point is that we waste our energies trying to make everyone comply with one set of morals or another as if we were all the same. It just seems so idiotic to me.

If being a bible thumper is your thing, then fine. Just allow me to not be one in peace.

Simple.

In this country like no other diversity is strength, yet we do our best to stamp it out at every turn with some demand for some sort of enforced conformity.

Utterly senseless.

We will never all agree on most of these "issues" so why not leave it to individual choice and judgement?

You mean not everyone is an Italian/German Catholic? :smilewide:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

:lol:

with a big dash of anarchy, not saying that's bad, we have to have common law is all, and interpreting that is where all this fighting comes in. hehe

And yes, our biggest problem, and interesting the biggest problem with religion is that we can't just mind our of f@#king business.

some (people/religions) are more stealthy than others about that. :D

Very true, religion is at the center of most of the problems listed by the original post.

with a big dash of anarchy, not saying that's bad, we have to have common law is all, and interpreting that is where all this fighting comes in.

BS

No anarchy whatsoever.

And yes, religion is to blame here. But it doesn't have to be, all that's required is for people to be secure in their own beliefs without forcing them on others.

I agree with the above sentiments. I visit a skyscraper / urban development board occasionally where the general consensus leans strongly in one direction and it gets pretty nasty in there toward anyone on the other side of the fence. I myself don't really fit under either party; I see good and bad things in both.

The problem today is that people have such short tempers and don't have the patience to listen to an opposing argument. Sometimes I wonder if it is due to the popularity of the internet, where you can be as bullheaded as you want while remaining completely anonymous. We get a lot of our news from the web these days, and much of it is unbalanced and filled with slant. These nasty attitudes then spill out into our face-to-face interactions, and suddenly people are labeled merely because they associate with a certain party (even if they don't share all of the views).

The 2000 elections and the Iraq War really divided this nation, and I'm not sure if we'll ever get that unity back that we once had.

Oh, shut the f$#k up!

:smilewide:

Simple.

BS

No anarchy whatsoever.

And yes, religion is to blame here. But it doesn't have to be, all that's required is for people to be secure in their own beliefs without forcing them on others.

freedictionary

3. Absence of any cohesive principle, such as a common standard or purpose.

enforced conformity... laws/media

isn't true personal freedom anarchy? it may not be for "the other guy" if he can't stop me, though, but he's not me.

that's why if society had more inner chains, the outside (law) chains would not be needed.

+1

People today are polarized on so many levels, and unnecessarily so, IMO. In this new internet age, you can hear only what you want to hear, and you can band together with like-minded, homogeneous individuals in a sort of bubble that neglects reality, all of which causes radicalization, scapegoating of the "opposition", and a sense of outrage fed by more and more examples of the same one-sided information, reaffirming people's beliefs as opposed to opening their minds to think critically. Eventually they conclude - everyone is wrong but me!

As much as we criticize newspapers and "old media", these institutions at least bring about a sense of professionalism and accountability, and they help democratic societies in ways that blogs and message boards alone cannot.

And this is why some people are in favor of small government, because they feel that many of these issues are not the concern of the government.

Small government isn't the answer. Big government isn't the answer. Smarter government is the answer.

The things we Americans waste our time on:

Abortion

Flag burning

Gay marriage

Cloning

The drug war

"In God We Trust"

"Under God"

I pretty much agree to this whole list except abortion, which I view as a human rights issue that needs a more moderate solution worked out.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0