The next generation of stupid car fads.

Drew Dowdell

Hood windows.

Ford-Mustang-Hood-Window.jpg

Jalopnik

First it was the Toyota Altezza lighting the world on fire with the clear tail light craze, then came Buick, igniting the love triangle between Pep-Boys, 17-year-olds, and stick on fender vents, now it's the Corvette ZR1 and its hood window kicking off a new trend. Hillbank Motorsports has created a hood with a window in it for the 2005-2009 Ford Mustang which will let you show off that stonkin' V6 with NOS and dress up pulleys. Of course, if you're sporting a supercharged monster mill, it'll work there too, but lets be honest about who goes after this kind of thing. Expect hood windows for Civics, third generation 'Tegs, and mid-90s Accords in short order.

First it was the Toyota Altezza lighting the world on fire with the clear tail light craze, then came Buick, igniting the love triangle between Pep-Boys, 17-year-olds, and stick on fender vents, now it's the Corvette ZR1 and its hood window kicking off a new trend.

The big difference here is that the Altezza and several other cars actually look good with clear tail lights. Not even the ZR1 can avoid looking like a prickmobile with a hood window.

As far back as 2003 I remember a couple local Ricers with clear windows on

their hoods... one at the dragway. You're not giving credit where it is due:

Ferrari F40 & F50.

The net gen. fad?

Heat extractors/side hood vents.

From the Focus to Jaguar, and from the Escalade all the way down to the Vue.

>>"The big difference here is that the Altezza and several other cars actually look good with clear tail lights. Not even the ZR1 can avoid looking like a prickmobile with a hood window."<<

Disagree- The ZR-1's hood window is pretty slick because it's small & unobtrusive, plus it frames a nice picture (the intercooler). This Mustang window is far too large and had no aspect of design to it as far as showcasing what's underneath.

This history of this goes back much farther than you'd think, BTW; Olds used twin windows in the hoods on a number of dealer 'showcase' cars with their new Hi-CR mills : '49 and into the '50s.

Hemi under glass ooozed coolness.... esp.when I was a kid

flipping through old dusty Hot Rod/Car Craft magazines. :)

I not a fan of any dramatic aftermarket modifications like big spoilers, ground effects, lift kits / lowering kits, oversize wheels, etc.

But...I think these "hood windows" are cool. Is this what the next generation of cash-strapped teens will be doing with their old Civics and Accords ?

I can just see it now: the kids trying to do it themselves...with a piece of plexiglass...tracing a template on the hood of the car, then trying to cut a pattern with a reciprocating saw...with the hood flexing and warping...jagged.

Word of advice: Use LOTS of clear caulk & silicone adhesive, kids...I don't want your experiment flying apart on the freeway and hitting me.

Geez, The starving student always needs a distraction or hobby...something to aspire to.

At least this is more tasteful than those boomy bumblebee exhaust systems.

Edited by jlgolden

I hate "fart-cans", they're obnoxious and do NOT improve performance.