Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GMPD exec John Heinricy retires

Hmmm :scratchchin: We have the HHR SS , Cobalt SS STS V, XLR V GXP Solstice and Red Line Sky. I see two and 4 cams on these GMPD cars

John only worked with what he was given and with what the ZR-1 is doing two more cams would have just added more nose weight.

This is sad as it is people like him are what GM needs to make a recovery. If he is replace with a less capable person GM as a whole will suffer because of it.

The GMPD is one of the few things GM has been doing right. They should have given them control of each car not just to hot rod it but to tune it to a world class car for what ever class the car was in. If you want to be the best you have to be the best no matter what the task.

It also is not a good sign when GM loses John and others like Tom Wallace. It is a sign of how bad things are yet to come.

Edited by hyperv6

Maybe the new guy will make a performance car with a DOHC engine, rather than modified engines from the Silverado.

Umm... And what's wrong with modified Silverado engines?

(I know the "answer" just figured I'd get that off my chest)

I certainly hope the new guy is as good... (But I doubt he will be... Somehow, I see an SVT like ending for GMPD soon enough)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Hmmm :scratchchin: We have the HHR SS , Cobalt SS STS V, XLR V GXP Solstice and Red Line Sky. I see two and 4 cams on these GMPD cars

John only worked with what he was given and with what the ZR-1 is doing two more cams would have just added more nose weight.

This is sad as it is people like him are what GM needs to make a recovery. If he is replace with a less capable person GM as a whole will suffer because of it.

The GMPD is one of the few things GM has been doing right. They should have given them control of each car not just to hot rod it but to tune it to a world class car for what ever class the car was in. If you want to be the best you have to be the best no matter what the task.

It also is not a good sign when GM loses John and others like Tom Wallace. It is a sign of how bad things are yet to come.

Agreed on all points.

The man will be missed.

They can go to Germany and hire one of two dozen AMG or M guys to replace him. I think Heinricy did an admirable job with what he had to work with, but it isn't like he brought a V10, V12 or 7 or 8-speed transmission to GM or any great weight reducing technology. The CTS-V for example is 300 pounds heavier than an M5 and already has a $2000 cash back offer on it. Hyundai even has an 8-speed transmission coming in 2010. GM has some good bang for the buck performance cars like the Camaro, but mots of their performance products suffer from having the same rental grade interior as the base model vehicles do. They do performance better than Ford, Toyota or Honda, but still lag behind the Europeans.

Maybe the new guy will make a performance car with a DOHC engine, rather than modified engines from the Silverado.

With all due respect that is an ignorant,

unfair & erroneous statement.

Remind me who it is that keeps kicking V12

DOHC Ferrari's a$$es at the 24 hours of

LeMans in France every year? Oh, right the

"Silverado V8" powered Corvette.

Wow... GM is capable of some incredible stuff

if their "archane-as-a-box-of-rocks" pickup

motor can keep up, or beat V-12 Ferraris.

"Maybe the new guy will make a performance car with a DOHC engine, rather than modified engines from the Silverado."

And maybe they will finally get rid of the archaic leaf spring suspension under the Corvette as well, right?

Give me a break...GM has been making some of the most powerful and efficient engines on the market - name one car with the performance of the Corvette that can average over 25 mpg in mixed driving? Must be those stupid pushrods, huh?

"Maybe the new guy will make a performance car with a DOHC engine, rather than modified engines from the Silverado."

And maybe they will finally get rid of the archaic leaf spring suspension under the Corvette as well, right?

Give me a break...GM has been making some of the most powerful and efficient engines on the market - name one car with the performance of the Corvette that can average over 25 mpg in mixed driving? Must be those stupid pushrods, huh?

I hope they do get rid of the leaf spring, a 600 hp light weight GT-R is coming. If the GT-R is only 5 seconds behind the ZR-1 on the Nurburgring now, 120 hp and 200 fewer pounds will easily make that up and then some.

The Lotus Elise SC or a Lotus Exige get better mileage than a Corvette and match it in 0-60 and beat it in handling and braking.

I think the Corvette is a good car, they have 90% of the performance of a Ferrari at 30% the price so that is saying something. Although the Vette interior leaves much to be desired, the car has great performance bang for buck value.

GM performance's real problem is stuff like the G8 that is overweight and needs a 6 liter engine to make 360 hp. There are V6s with 330 hp, and 4.2-4.6 liter V8s making 375+ hp.