Friend of Mine is Looking For A Car

Cory Wolfe

My (non-car-guy) friend is looking for something to replace his 2002 Hyundai Accent. This is the friend of whom asked me to sell his 70s Ford LTD for him. Basically, he feels his car is way too small and way too basic, which is quite understandable. It is a lowly Accent, afterall. He also had to cough up $1k when the timing belt snapped and bent some valves at the end of last year. Otherwise, it's been a relatively good car to him. He's looking to move up into something thats more liveable and will be reliable. One of his main critera is that he doesn't want to drive something that everyone has.

My point of posting is... We came across a 2001 Cadillac Catera with only 35k miles and they're asking $6k for it.

I've heard both good things and bad things about these cars regarding reliability, but I've never paid too much attention as to what the case was. How reliable would one of these be? Also, what sort of fuel mileage will he be looking at? The latter question is guaranteed to have an answer that's considerably lower than what his Accent gets, regardless. I told him I would guess it to be around 20-25. Looking at it, it's a very nice car. I saw not one blemish anywhere. Its in excellent condition with low miles, as mentioned. We have not yet had a chance to test drive it as they weren't open yesterday, but we may do so today after I go to work.

We also looked over a Volvo S40 1.9T for the same price and sadly, that's all I know about it. I don't recall what year it was or what the mileage was. It was the previous generation.

* Pictures of what he bought are on page 3 *

Edited by blackviper8891

2nd-gen Cateras are fine. The first-gens were notorious for problems, and it did not help that dealerships weren't used to the completely different assembly practices in Europe.

Not sure what you mean..there was only 1 generation of the Catera. It had a mild facelift at some point, but was still the same car it's whole run. Supposedly, though, the 1999 onward had improved reliability.

Not sure what you mean..there was only 1 generation of the Catera. It had a mild facelift at some point, but was still the same car it's whole run. Supposedly, though, the 1999 onward had improved reliability.

Meh...the 2000 restyle is often referred to as the "2nd gen" because of all the changes, as well as the much-improved reliability.

1st gen Catera's (yes, I call them by gen too...as an ex Caddy forum frequenter) are a horrible nightmare, and 2nd gen's were improved nicely...but still not the absolute best in terms of reliability. Here's the best place you could ever go to read more, from people who know them inside and out:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadil...cimarron-forum/

I really like them, especially the '00-01 Sport models (hmm...a-la an earlier version of my G8 Sport?), but if repair cost is one thing you're concerned about, they're not exactly, say, GM W-body, etc. like. They're more German import like, in every way.

What about an Olds like an Intrigue? Or a 300M?

The Catera from everything I've heard is full of reliability problems.

I don't consider there to be a 2nd gen one because outside they're almost identical and inside saw only moderate updates.

Yeah, I consider generational changes like when the CTS went from the '07 to '08...or the Malibu from the '07 to the '08. Serious changes. The Catera went thru an MCU/MCE.

Edited by moltar

So, basically, the Catera would not be a smart purchase decision. We didn't get a chance to check it out today, but we will tomorrow. I want to atleast get a test drive out of it. :P

Test drove the Volvo. Turns out its an '00 with about 70k. It ran pretty good.

Also test drove a bright yellow 2nd gen Neon SXT and a PT Cruiser. He liked those two the most and the Neon worked the best financially out all of them. It ran well, didn't seem to have any issues besides non-working foglights. The Cruiser ran alright, but had higher mileage than he would have liked and was at a dealership he's not a big fan of. It doesn't help that theyre trying to screw him on trade in.

So, basically, the Catera would not be a smart purchase decision. We didn't get a chance to check it out today, but we will tomorrow. I want to atleast get a test drive out of it. :P

Test drove the Volvo. Turns out its an '00 with about 70k. It ran pretty good.

Also test drove a bright yellow 2nd gen Neon SXT and a PT Cruiser. He liked those two the most and the Neon worked the best financially out all of them. It ran well, didn't seem to have any issues besides non-working foglights. The Cruiser ran alright, but had higher mileage than he would have liked and was at a dealership he's not a big fan of. It doesn't help that theyre trying to screw him on trade in.

While first gen Neons are piles of crap, the 3nd ones are actually pretty good reliability wise, and the cars themselves aren't bad for what they are either.

Yeah, I consider generational changes like when the CTS went from the '07 to '08...or the Malibu from the '07 to the '08. Serious changes. The Catera went thru an MCU/MCE.

The Catera was very heavily revised, both inside and out. If you put the two side-by-side the differences would be obvious.

I'm not really trying to continue an argument on this or anything, but from the numerous Cadillac owners and dealership employees / service technicians I know, they all refer to them as different "gens" because the driving dynamics, amenities, and most importantly reliability, are like night and day between the two iterations--pretty much the only thing unchanged were a few exterior body panels; the mechanics were thoroughly reworked.

Neon is out. Transmission is leaking. Catera and Volvo are out, as well due to being slighty more than he wants to spend.

Currently in the running are two Chrysler 300M's (one of which I wouldn't mind owning myself), two PT Cruisers, a previous gen. Sonata, and a few random others.

Edited by blackviper8891

Neon is out. Transmission is leaking. Catera and Volvo are out, as well due to being slighty more than he wants to spend.

Currently in the running are two Chrysler 300M's (one of which I wouldn't mind owning myself), two PT Cruisers, a previous gen. Sonata, and a few random others.

Well PT cruisers suck, sonata is a hyundai and the previous gen wasnt terribly attractive. SO i guess i'd go with the 300M in that spot.

We had a 300M, hmm, 8 or so years ago now. A 2000 in Deep Slate with dark charcoal interior and every option except for the Performance Handling Package.

Pretty good cars, for sure. Not without their common bugs, but nothing big either, and like a garden variety Intrepid, but quite a rung upwards--yet also just as cheap to maintain as an Intrepid. I know someone still in the 300M Club who has nearly 400k miles on his 2001 and continues to drive it daily with a lot less maintenance/fixing than people would presume. Very careful about when & what is done, of course, and it just keeps on going.

http://300mclub.org/index.php

Otherwise, the Sonata isn't bad, but probably still too similar to even the tinier Accent he has now...I'd still give it a look, though, especially if it was in great shape.

I agree with Teh, a Focus ZX3 or ZX5 would be good, too. And we know he's got Ford experience since he had an LTD II.:)

Very good choices, too, and with very strong driving dynamics. Still small, but larger than an Accent.

I agree with Teh, a Focus ZX3 or ZX5 would be good, too. And we know he's got Ford experience since he had an LTD II.:)

I actually saw one of those today in traffic..hadn't seen one in years...a LTD II 2dr, blue, vinyl top, lowrider.

Well,

I remember when one of my friends (whom i disliked at the time) car broke down in November or December (I forget which though). They had a 2002 Hyundai Accent. He was going to trade it in to get a newer version of the car that was nice and affordable.

I say that your friend should look into buying or trading in the car he has and get a newer make of the car.

Snapped some pics of his new car. It's a 2002 Hyundai Elantra 5spd with 69k miles. Bought it for $4999 before taxes and whatnot. It isn't perfect, but it runs pretty well and is quite clean in and out. Not much to complain about. They seem to be good little cars. My grandma's has been good to her, so I 'approved' of his purchase. :P

014-1.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg

015-2.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019-1.jpg

020.jpg

Don't ask about the last pic. I was bored and wanted the sun to be in it, despite the picture having no real focal point.

He's not a car guy. He actually liked his cheap-ass Accent, but it was too small. :P

Plus, the 300M had double the mileage and would likely get half the gas mileage. That little mpg readout they have tells a telling story. I don't think he liked that, either.

Edited by blackviper8891

Snapped some pics of his new car. It's a 2002 Hyundai Elantra 5spd with 69k miles. Bought it for $4999 before taxes and whatnot. It isn't perfect, but it runs pretty well and is quite clean in and out. Not much to complain about. They seem to be good little cars. My grandma's has been good to her, so I 'approved' of his purchase. :P

Nothing cool or special, but a very good choice nonetheless--sounds like he got what he wanted. Should go for a very long time, with little in the way of problems.

Wow, 400k miles on the 300M! Good for your friend!

Actually, he's now up to 485k, at least as of 02/09, and still counting;) Unless something more has changed, he replaced the trans with a salvage one at about the halfway point to now and at the end of last year replaced the engine with a salvage one after 444k. Seems incredible, but all true, and certainly the highest mileage M anywhere.