Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cory Wolfe

Friend of Mine is Looking For A Car

50 posts in this topic

My (non-car-guy) friend is looking for something to replace his 2002 Hyundai Accent. This is the friend of whom asked me to sell his 70s Ford LTD for him. Basically, he feels his car is way too small and way too basic, which is quite understandable. It is a lowly Accent, afterall. He also had to cough up $1k when the timing belt snapped and bent some valves at the end of last year. Otherwise, it's been a relatively good car to him. He's looking to move up into something thats more liveable and will be reliable. One of his main critera is that he doesn't want to drive something that everyone has.

My point of posting is... We came across a 2001 Cadillac Catera with only 35k miles and they're asking $6k for it.

I've heard both good things and bad things about these cars regarding reliability, but I've never paid too much attention as to what the case was. How reliable would one of these be? Also, what sort of fuel mileage will he be looking at? The latter question is guaranteed to have an answer that's considerably lower than what his Accent gets, regardless. I told him I would guess it to be around 20-25. Looking at it, it's a very nice car. I saw not one blemish anywhere. Its in excellent condition with low miles, as mentioned. We have not yet had a chance to test drive it as they weren't open yesterday, but we may do so today after I go to work.

We also looked over a Volvo S40 1.9T for the same price and sadly, that's all I know about it. I don't recall what year it was or what the mileage was. It was the previous generation.

* Pictures of what he bought are on page 3 *

Edited by blackviper8891

2nd-gen Cateras are fine. The first-gens were notorious for problems, and it did not help that dealerships weren't used to the completely different assembly practices in Europe.

Junk.

Yeah, they got better, but you'll still be spending some money.....

Really? That's not what I've heard at all. 1st-gens were very hit-or-miss, but the 2nd gens were consistently good.

2nd-gen Cateras are fine. The first-gens were notorious for problems, and it did not help that dealerships weren't used to the completely different assembly practices in Europe.

Not sure what you mean..there was only 1 generation of the Catera. It had a mild facelift at some point, but was still the same car it's whole run. Supposedly, though, the 1999 onward had improved reliability.

Not sure what you mean..there was only 1 generation of the Catera. It had a mild facelift at some point, but was still the same car it's whole run. Supposedly, though, the 1999 onward had improved reliability.

That's what I was trying to figure out.

Meh...the 2000 restyle is often referred to as the "2nd gen" because of all the changes, as well as the much-improved reliability.

Those first-gen S40s were a Mitsubishi/Volvo collaboration. Pure crap.

I've never heard of a "2nd gen" Catera either.

What about an Olds like an Intrigue? Or a 300M?

The Catera from everything I've heard is full of reliability problems.

I don't consider there to be a 2nd gen one because outside they're almost identical and inside saw only moderate updates.

Really? That's not what I've heard at all. 1st-gens were very hit-or-miss, but the 2nd gens were consistently good.

Everybody I know who has/had one hated it....all kinds of issues...

My local repair shop loves when those drive in.....

Fine, I shall incur the wrath of the sludge upon your 2.7L V6 Intrepid, muhahahahahahahaha!

BMW%20oil%20sludge.JPG

Now you shall drive no more!

Well if that happens I'm just replacing the engine with a more powerful one. :P

Then I'll curse your engine with a thrown rod.

You can't win! :P

Briggs & Stratton???:smilewide:

1st gen Catera's (yes, I call them by gen too...as an ex Caddy forum frequenter) are a horrible nightmare, and 2nd gen's were improved nicely...but still not the absolute best in terms of reliability. Here's the best place you could ever go to read more, from people who know them inside and out:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadil...cimarron-forum/

I really like them, especially the '00-01 Sport models (hmm...a-la an earlier version of my G8 Sport?), but if repair cost is one thing you're concerned about, they're not exactly, say, GM W-body, etc. like. They're more German import like, in every way.

Fine, I shall incur the wrath of the sludge upon your 2.7L V6 Intrepid, muhahahahahahahaha!

BMW%20oil%20sludge.JPG

Now you shall drive no more!

:mind-blowing:

What about an Olds like an Intrigue? Or a 300M?

The Catera from everything I've heard is full of reliability problems.

I don't consider there to be a 2nd gen one because outside they're almost identical and inside saw only moderate updates.

Yeah, I consider generational changes like when the CTS went from the '07 to '08...or the Malibu from the '07 to the '08. Serious changes. The Catera went thru an MCU/MCE.

Edited by moltar

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room