Pontiac G8 bucks sales trend

Yay?

What vehicle in the current market doesn't have cash on the hood? Last I heard, the all-mighty Toyota is offering record rebates too. Regardless, when the rest of GM is down over 50%(while having those same rebates), even a 1% increase in sales could be considered a good thing. Yay is right.

And more to add to that, the G8's sales are up, even when people are scared to buy GM because they don't know if GM will be around 6 months from now. Last time I looked at the sales charts, the only vehicles I remember being up were the G8, Malibu retail but not total, and Vibe.

How long are people going to wait before admitting that this is a good thing?

Never, because the G8 sucks. Pontiac sucks. They should just kill it. All they sell are rebadged Chevies and Toyotas. EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

<_<

There, did I sum up every response of every detractor? Now, in all seriousness, given no marketing and the state of the economy, the G8 isn't doing that badly. I'd be willing to wager that in a better economic climate the G8 would meet sales projections. I'm looking forward to the 2010 V6 model, which upgrades to the 3.6L DI. That should be a very interesting car.

In all seriousness, this is solid good news. In a better economic climate, who knows how well it would do. This is clear evidence that with the right product, the Pontiac brand has a very viable place in GM's stable, and the market as a whole. I too would like to see a coupe, convertible, wagon and the erstwhile ST join the sedan... along with the Solstice, such a lineup could be all Pontiac needs to rekindle and resize the brand in this new reality.

Take heart, GM management.

In all seriousness, this is solid good news. In a better economic climate, who knows how well it would do. This is clear evidence that with the right product, the Pontiac brand has a very viable place in GM's stable, and the market as a whole. I too would like to see a coupe, convertible, wagon and the erstwhile ST join the sedan... along with the Solstice, such a lineup could be all Pontiac needs to rekindle and resize the brand in this new reality.

Take heart, GM management.

Not to mention, it would consist of ZERO investment from GMNA (which was the plan anyway)

Someone your age should have their eyes examined ... Do you really like the Aztek inspired fake hood scoops? If I had my way, it would have had the Holden fascia, which to me looks much nicer, minus the fake hood scoops ...

With or without scoops, it trumps the dowdy BMW.

Hahaha... listen to Pontiac Custom-S talking about the hood scoops on the G8... those VERY RESTRAINED hood scoops. Then take a look at what he drives... a Grand Prix GXP, with throwback 1970's Trans Am fender scoops. What the hell is the difference?:rolleyes:

Hahaha... listen to Pontiac Custom-S talking about the hood scoops on the G8... those VERY RESTRAINED hood scoops. Then take a look at what he drives... a Grand Prix GXP, with throwback 1970's Trans Am fender scoops. What the hell is the difference?:rolleyes:

You don't know the difference between a Trans Am and an Aztek? No wonder you work for Ford ... :smilewide:

leave the gran prix and personal vendettas out of this, no sense lingering in the past when looking at GM's current design. there's no question the G8's stance is its best feature, as is the case with BMWs....in all ways the G8/Commodore seeks to emulate a BMW 5-series as much as possible, saying one is good looking without the other is ignoring the simple fact that shape/form/stance are mostly exactly the same. detail differences is where the two change up, graphics on the BMW go for more upmarket and technical, while the same can be said for surfacing and transitions/curves. the pontiac as with the mechanical aspect is more straight up and less flourished....both are very good looking, ver very, but the BMW has an essence of forward looking design all to its own. it's amazing how fresh that bangle design has held up for so many years now.

the main point though is the grille on the pontiac, it's drawn better than commodore's basic opening, so the pontiac is more interesting and makes a more dynamic face, however, the hood scoops prove an unnecessary addition. too big and noticeable for this class of car, i actually think the connection to other pontiacs through the nostrils hurts sales. people aren't looking for that kind of styling kink in this kind of car, this class of cars. people don't buy muscle sedans, they buy muscle coupes. however, that doesn't mean i personally don't find them good looking, i do see the point in drawing a more aggressive front end for pontiac, and that's why i appreciate what they did, even if in the end i wished they would have gone a more expensive route and drawn a grille that was more aggressive in the first place/.

twin-turbo-557-hp-pontiac-g8-gt-holden-c

I actually like the hood scoops and the way they aid in the agressive styling of the car without going too boy-racer or over-the-top (like those whale-tail spoilers). However, it would have been better if there was a dealer-installed option for ram air to make those hood scoops functional. I loved the '95 Pontiac 300 GPX concept's hood scoops and was hoping that the new-for-1997 Grand Prix was going to get them as an option. I know after-market handled that, but I still liked the look of the car with those scoops.

gpx_qtr.jpg

leave the gran prix and personal vendettas out of this, no sense lingering in the past when looking at GM's current design. there's no question the G8's stance is its best feature, as is the case with BMWs....in all ways the G8/Commodore seeks to emulate a BMW 5-series as much as possible, saying one is good looking without the other is ignoring the simple fact that shape/form/stance are mostly exactly the same. detail differences is where the two change up, graphics on the BMW go for more upmarket and technical, while the same can be said for surfacing and transitions/curves. the pontiac as with the mechanical aspect is more straight up and less flourished....both are very good looking, ver very, but the BMW has an essence of forward looking design all to its own. it's amazing how fresh that bangle design has held up for so many years now.

the main point though is the grille on the pontiac, it's drawn better than commodore's basic opening, so the pontiac is more interesting and makes a more dynamic face, however, the hood scoops prove an unnecessary addition. too big and noticeable for this class of car, i actually think the connection to other pontiacs through the nostrils hurts sales. people aren't looking for that kind of styling kink in this kind of car, this class of cars. people don't buy muscle sedans, they buy muscle coupes. however, that doesn't mean i personally don't find them good looking, i do see the point in drawing a more aggressive front end for pontiac, and that's why i appreciate what they did, even if in the end i wished they would have gone a more expensive route and drawn a grille that was more aggressive in the first place/.

twin-turbo-557-hp-pontiac-g8-gt-holden-c

Funny.

For me Bangle ruined the clean crisp look that BMW once did so well in favor of bloat and odd shaping.

The G8 has that wonderful taut look that BMW has lost.

As for the scoops, if they were functional I'd be a major advocate, but as a styling element alone they aren't terrible either. I'd wager that most cars that sported scoops wore them as styling elements only. This bothers me to a greater or lesser degree depending on how well they work with the design. On the G8, I would likely order one with a flat hood if it were an option but I don't hate the scoops.

Funny.

For me Bangle ruined the clean crisp look that BMW once did so well in favor of bloat and odd shaping.

The G8 has that wonderful taut look that BMW has lost.

As for the scoops, if they were functional I'd be a major advocate, but as a styling element alone they aren't terrible either. I'd wager that most cars that sported scoops wore them as styling elements only. This bothers me to a greater or lesser degree depending on how well they work with the design. On the G8, I would likely order one with a flat hood if it were an option but I don't hate the scoops.

I totally agree with this assessment. Would I prefer the G8 without the nonfunctional hood scoops?; definitely. Do I think the nonfunctional hood scoops on the G8 are unnecessarily garish or hideous?; not really.

I also think that the G8's front end treatment is the most attractive derivative of all the global versions of this sedan.

In thinking about this car,I've reached the conclusion that it is the most appealing sedan on the market (in GXP form).

Subjective opinion, of course, but true for me. There is no other production sedan I'd rather have.

The only production sedan I would rather have over this is an RS4. Other than that, there are no sedans I would take over a G8 GXP. If it came down to it though, I would buy the GXP and keep the $26,000 difference.

In thinking about this car,I've reached the conclusion that it is the most appealing sedan on the market (in GXP form).

Subjective opinion, of course, but true for me. There is no other production sedan I'd rather have.

Coming from you, that speaks volumes.

I agree, too. :AH-HA_wink:

That is one tired old saw, PCS.

There may be a resmblence in the basic shape, but that's where it ends.

Much like the Vega resembled a small Camaro.

It only amounts to a great big "So what?"

Besides, this thread is about the G8.

Not really, I can't tell you how many times I've heard that when I was in the U.S., just as recently as last month. Regular people can't tell the difference other than it's a portly Chevy Crapiler ...

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Not really, I can't tell you how many times I've heard that when I was in the U.S., just as recently as last month. Regular people can't tell the difference other than it's a portly Chevy Crapiler ...

Regular people are stupid. I've never confused it for a Cavalier.

Your statement reeks of BS for two reasons:

1. Apparently you have heard such a statement countless times and there are very few GTOs around - unless your in California - I find this hard to believe. Few GTOs, countless numbers of these statements. That doesn't add up.

2. Why would someone be asking you if it was a Cavalier? Do they care so much about the Cavalier that they say, "OMG, look! A Cavalier!"

That said, both have two doors, somewhat similar greenhouses except for the C-Pillar, and were styled in the same general era. The stance of the two cars is much different, however.

It's really too bad that the original GTO looked like a lowly Tempest, they should have made it look more distinct, you know, because the beauty of the GTO isn't that it's a sleeper car, or anything.

Back to the G8... another great improvement they made over the Grand Prix is that if you decide to get staggered wheels and tires, the wider wheels/tires will go on the rear wheels of the car, so it looks proper. :AH-HA_wink:

Your statement reeks of BS for two reasons:

1. Apparently you have heard such a statement countless times and there are very few GTOs around - unless your in California - I find this hard to believe. Few GTOs, countless numbers of these statements. That doesn't add up.

2. Why would someone be asking you if it was a Cavalier? Do they care so much about the Cavalier that they say, "OMG, look! A Cavalier!"

That said, both have two doors, somewhat similar greenhouses except for the C-Pillar, and were styled in the same general era. The stance of the two cars is much different, however.

It's really too bad that the original GTO looked like a lowly Tempest, they should have made it look more distinct, you know, because the beauty of the GTO isn't that it's a sleeper car, or anything.

Back to the G8... another great improvement they made over the Grand Prix is that if you decide to get staggered wheels and tires, the wider wheels/tires will go on the rear wheels of the car, so it looks proper. :AH-HA_wink:

It's not all that hard to understand, when I do see one, I point it out, and 9 times out of ten, they say "Really????? Looks like a fat Cavalier ..." I just smile and drive on ...