New Scion Car based pick-em-up

Rad...I wonder if Toyota has considered building a Ridgeline competitor off the Highlander or other CUV? GM could definitely do one, a pickup based off the Traverse, call it El Camino.

Off topic, but did Hummer ever build an H3 SUT?

Chris

Yep, they've sold like 8 of them.

I don't think they've ever made an SUT, as in, an H3 with the rear window cut out and a midgate added. But the H3T (traditional pickup truck) is out.

Man, GM better find a way to get the Ute here and fast. You just know at least one rag will herald this...thing as the new El Camino.

You guys can guess what I think of this.

But what I find interesting are the comments in the linked thread.

- Calls for making it RWD

- Positive expressions of their being a market for such a vehicle

- An entreaty that it be built on a full frame.

Not what I would have expected on a Scion fansite.

Stehrenberger (tho excellent as usual) is still drawing exactly the same manner he did in the '80s.

Except for the rubber-band tires & 24"s, this looks like it could've been drawn in 1985.

Cute in a way, ugly in many more, useless in every way.

Calls for frames & RWD are ridiculous- how much could anyone pile in a 6 SQ FT bed ????

Stehrenberger (tho excellent as usual) is still drawing exactly the same manner he did in the '80s.

Except for the rubber-band tires & 24"s, this looks like it could've been drawn in 1985.

Calls for frames & RWD are ridiculous- how much could anyone pile in a 6 SQ FT bed ????

+1

True.

But the fact that those calls come from Scion fans remains interesting... and unexpected.

I wish that GM would build something like the Original S-10 trucks. I owned two and they were both wonderful...100K ++ use out of both trucks....bought a muffler for one once...other than that just normal maint.

Both were 4 Cyl 5 Speed trucks, and both ran 30+ (usually about 32) MPG in mixed driving.

As a 4WD, they are an awesome truck for a little slippin and sliding in the dirty stuff...esp. with a 4.3.

THAT is my idea of a small truck. Also liked the rampage and Rabbit truck...both were decent small trucks, esp. the Rampage.

Chris

I wish that GM would build something like the Original S-10 trucks. I owned two and they were both wonderful...100K ++ use out of both trucks....bought a muffler for one once...other than that just normal maint.

Both were 4 Cyl 5 Speed trucks, and both ran 30+ (usually about 32) MPG in mixed driving.

As a 4WD, they are an awesome truck for a little slippin and sliding in the dirty stuff...esp. with a 4.3.

THAT is my idea of a small truck. Also liked the rampage and Rabbit truck...both were decent small trucks, esp. the Rampage.

Chris

my sister has a 98 4x4 at the house i was getting ready to hock off of her. needs work, but i was hoping for an L33 vortec 5300 swap, a lift, and a conversion to zr2 status but she needs it now... ah the best laid plans of mice and men...

I wish that GM would build something like the Original S-10 trucks. I owned two and they were both wonderful...100K ++ use out of both trucks....

Not sure I would brag about getting more than 100k miles out of a vehicle. It's honestly not worth commenting about the life of a vehicle until it's past 200k, and that's still not saying much. 250k+ starts getting impressive, 300k+ is true bragging rights. IMO, if a vehicle can't last more than 200k miles with only a couple minor repairs (like an alt) and regular maintenance, that's pretty sad.