Happy Independence Day!

Well, I HAD plans to spend time with the family but

currently online #$%^ing off since my wife is driving me

crazy with her nagging.

Anyway. 233 years ago the seeds that were planted back

in the 17th century finally bore fruit in the form of the

greatest Nation in human history. Long live the USA, & may

her enemies, both foreign (e.g. No. Korea) and domestic

(e.g. those snakes & liars in D.C.) be completely decimated.

Well, I HAD plans to spend time with the family but

currently online #$%^ing off since my wife is driving me

crazy with her nagging.

Anyway. 233 years ago the seeds that were planted back

in the 17th century finally bore fruit in the form of the

greatest Nation in human history. Long live the USA, & may

Are you a man or a mouse? Declare your independence from your wife on this Independence Day! :smilewide:

Long live the USA, & may

Absolutely, happy Independence Day to everyone!

Sadly, the biggest threat to this country is from its own population. We are like children. If we don't soon realize that not everything we want is necessarily good for us and that everything has a cost, it's all over.

Edited by usonia

Can relate to FOG's what we were comment.

Was going to be in a parade with the Miata club, but that got cancelled so my 13 year old and I went to another parade...

More or less stayed home with my youngest three children and we played board games and fixed frozen pizza. Sometimes it's just nice to be with your family.

Chris

Yay for what this country WAS.

LOL... yeah, watching the authorities herd the sheeple to the same old firework display because we aren't entrusted to have our own fireworks, certainly makes me think "independence" and then watching everybody get caught in a 2 hour traffic jam in front of my house just cracks me up. Next year, I might go out and sell sodas and bottled water to them... or rent out some parking. ;-)

LOL... yeah, watching the authorities herd the sheeple to the same old firework display because we aren't entrusted to have our own fireworks, certainly makes me think "independence" and then watching everybody get caught in a 2 hour traffic jam in front of my house just cracks me up. Next year, I might go out and sell sodas and bottled water to them... or rent out some parking. ;-)

Hmm well I have a story/mini rant to share along these lines.

For as long as I can remember it's been legal to buy and set off fireworks in NH but illegal in MA. I got to set off fireworks in KS a couple years ago at my gf's uncle's house and it was a blast...so I wanted to do it this year. Friend of mine had gone to Hampton Beach for several years because not only could he shoot them off but they had their own display.

We bought $52 each worth of fireworks last week from Londonderry, and yesterday headed to Hampton. Traffic around the beach was terrible, as expected, so we parked in a public parking stop across the street from another fireworks shop and about a mile from the beach.

We brought a picnic basket which ad some snacks and drinks and the loose fireworks inside, the box of assorted fireworks, a few of the launcher tubes.

We found a stop near near where the actual display would be. While we waited we set off a bunch of sparklers near where we sat, then went to the waterfront to launch some of the bigger ones away from people. It was great fin. Other people were doing it as well, and the crowd loved it...especially the big one we fired off.

We decided to save the rest for after the show when more people had cleared out, and plus it would give us something to do as opposed to sitting in traffic.

We watched the professional display which was nice, although the finale was kinda lame. We also saw other places putting on shows along the coast.

After the show, we started walking back to the car a mile away. We were going to launch them at the small beach near the car, but decided since Hampton's beach had cleared out pretty well, we might as well do it here and have less to carry back.

We fire off some of them in a wide open area clear of people. I would say we got about 5 set before a couple of beach patrol cops showed up in a gloried golf kart. They asked to see some ID. I figured they just wanted to make sure we were over 18...no biggie.

Instead, they tell us that it's illegal to set off and even posses fireworks besides sparklers in Hampton, and that there's a $300 fine. We were like WTF?

So we ask them why on earth are there fireworks shops down the street if you can't posses or set them off? He said "Oh well that's Seabrook, but you can't in Hampton.

Yet there are no signs anywhere that says no fireworks, and earlier when we were near the beach we walked past 3 cops and they said nothing.

So we were like ok...sorry we didn't know, can we just go to our car in Seabrook and fire them there? The he said we can't even posses them here, so, and because we do posses them its either let them confiscate everything but the sparklers, or get a $300 fine.

Naturally I stayed polite but at that point I wanted to light one off n his face.

So by the end of the night, $52 and my respect for the "Live free or die" state went down the drain.

It still angers me. The only consolation besides the sparklers is that we lit some off earlier...which no one had a problem with, and they forgot to confiscate the roman candles, so we fired them off in Seabrook before joining the long line of traffic.

Only "safe and sane" fireworks are legal in select parts of California. But that doesn't stop the people from burying the launchers and such at the beach and launching them. This year they had chain link fence up around all the beaches to try and stop the fireworks from getting in. FAIL!

Also, this is most likely the last weekend that a lot of the CA State Park employees will be working.

Spent the weekend in beautiful Tioga County, PA with family. Watched a very nice fireworks display. Watched a tractor pull involving wonderful old 2-cylinder John Deeres. Had an enjoyable time of it.

Palos Verdes, CA. Some woman rents a barge just off the coast and shoots off a bunch of fireworks each year for the neighborhood. Absolutely beautiful, especially with the Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice, Playa del Rey, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, and several inland shows all on display in the background.

Everything is illegal to mere mortals here in Jersey, but I've set off my own show 2 years with contraband stuff (tho not this year). The requirements to obtain a permit are --of course-- luducrious. I need some more contraband stuff for next year!

Watched the local small-town show with the brood, low-key works for me.

Instead, they tell us that it's illegal to set off and even posses fireworks besides sparklers in Hampton, and that there's a $300 fine. We were like WTF?

When I was a kid, I used to find it strange that some towns would have signs at the major roads into town that described their more idiotic local laws. Now that it seems like every town has some stupid laws, those signs are long gone. I which every town has to list there local ordinances in such a public view nowadays... maybe a giant sign full of legalese might scare some people from doing business there.

Anyway, that sucks. I hate local ordinances, as some are really obscure.

Of course, in NJ, fireworks... even sparklers... are verboten statewide. Fun is outlawed, too. ;-)

You know what I want to make? A sparkler bomb. Haven't done that in years. Probably because last time I nearly broke my ankle.

What's that?

We took a bunch of sparklers, shoved them in the sand and lit them at once. Burns super bright and very quick. It was awesome.

I was in Montana, Alberta, and Wyoming for a week over the 4th holiday. We were in Great Falls, MT on the 4th so I got to experience the festivities there. It's quite the trip going from a state like Iowa where the most you can have for fireworks are sparklers and snakes, to a state like Montana where every 4th house is shooting off roman candles, black cats, and M-80s. People were even shooting them off in parking lots at strip malls and banks.