G6 GTP in motor trend

a SMALL writeup in the back of the Jan 06 issue. They praise the car and then at the end belittle it by saying 'why would you buy this car when you could get a mustang v6 for the same dough'. 0-60 in 6.2 BTW. they praised the engine. that's good to hear. like they did with the Impala SS in the COTY article, they rip it for not being RWD. Well, ok, for the die hard enthusiast, RWD is what they want. And yes, RWD results in a higher performance car. But I hardly think that relegates all FWD cars with performance as useless and not desired by some parts of the market. The magazine is taking a very narrow and honestly, trendy copycat view on that right now. So the 300 brings RWD back into the limelight so EVERY performance car out now has to be RWD? it just goes to show you that considering the few hundred words it got and its location in the magazine, the G6 GTP s going to get no press....in spite of what seems to be good performance. Edited by regfootball

When C&D is writting less biased reviews... you know something's wrong. Especially when MT looks like it's trying to be a fashion magazine with its... uh... unique design and layout. Must be that Austrailian that took over... Haven't seen anything good written in it since. Consider my subscription not renewed... And to think... I cancelled my C&D subsciption?!?!? :blink: Wow...

When C&D is writting less biased reviews... you know something's wrong. Especially when MT looks like it's trying to be a fashion magazine with its... uh... unique design and layout. Must be that Austrailian that took over... Haven't seen anything good written in it since. Consider my subscription not renewed... And to think... I cancelled my C&D subsciption?!?!? :blink: Wow...

[post="52524"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The new MT layout is definately tops in the car magazine genre. It's a work of freakin' art, I swear. Maybe I shouldn't go that far but it's a lot better than your normal design. It has an air of class about it, I guess.

Edit: spelling. Edited by sciguy_0504

that whole 'get a mustang' bit was uncalled for in my opinion. the GP GXP had a favorable review from C/D. they made the point of acknowledging that the GP was a good car in spite of the fact it was not RWD. they said 'yes, RWD is generally what we prefer, but this is a very good FWD performance car for those that like them'. this review of the G6 was basically, 'well, here's a review, but you're a loser if you're interested in this car...you should be looking at this instead.' you would think in the article they would say, 'Pontiac will sell you a GTO for just a little bit more if you want RWD'. Edited by regfootball

Jeeze what a bummer, you just cant get away from it. Its everywhere. Well you know, the G6 GTP has the looks I like and I would not prefer a Mustang, RWD/FWD or not. Some of the FWD's in the sport touring classes place favorably againts their RWD competition on the track, so its not an end all. How were the handling and braking ?

Jeeze what a bummer, you just cant get away from it. Its everywhere. Well you know, the G6 GTP has the looks I like and I would not prefer a Mustang, RWD/FWD or not.

Some of the FWD's in the sport touring classes place favorably againts their RWD competition on the track, so its not an end all.

How were the handling and braking ?

[post="52569"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

in a roundabout way they liked it i think. i'll try to fin the exact verbage tomorrow (the MT is in the BR and the wife is sleeping lights out)

a SMALL writeup in the back of the Jan 06 issue.  They praise the car and then at the end belittle it by saying 'why would you buy this car when you could get a mustang v6 for the same dough'.

[post="52514"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The article said 300 hp Mustang V8, not V6, for the same price. And they're right - I would take a Mustang V8 over a G6 GTP for the same money any day. And so would most of you.

The article said 300 hp Mustang V8, not V6, for the same price.  And they're right - I would take a Mustang V8 over a G6 GTP for the same money any day.  And so would most of you.

[post="52664"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Speak for yourself. :P I'm not biased, I just hate the new Mustang with a burning passion.

The new MT layout is definately tops in the car magazine genre.  It's a work of freakin' art, I swear.  Maybe I shouldn't go that far but it's a lot better than your normal design.  It has an air of class about it, I guess.

Edit:  spelling.

[post="52541"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ugh... Well I absolutely hate it. It's the worse of all Auto Magazines I've ever seen. It makes it look feminine to me. I just... hate it to death. Especially because of the overuse of these:(*...*). :wacko:

The article said 300 hp Mustang V8, not V6, for the same price.  And they're right - I would take a Mustang V8 over a G6 GTP for the same money any day.  And so would most of you.

[post="52664"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm glad I'm not including in "most"...... Edited by blackviper8891

The new MT layout is definately tops in the car magazine genre.  It's a work of freakin' art, I swear.  Maybe I shouldn't go that far but it's a lot better than your normal design.  It has an air of class about it, I guess.

Edit:  spelling.

[post="52541"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have serious fit and finish complaints. I notice that there is a huge amount of glue overspill comming from the spine, inconsistant coloring and cheap glossy pictures. They will never have the build quality of Time or even Macleans. Why buy a Motor Trend when you can get a dealer brochure for free? (I am willing to bet it is less bias as well) :CG_all:

Hey Motortrend! Why buy and Acura TL when you can get a RWD CTS for the same dough?

[post="52666"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

After spending time at an Acura dealership this weekend (where I bought my car) I'd have to say that, if I were in the market, the TL and CTS would be neck and neck. The CTS' interior is a bit on the cheap and ugly side for me, but the TL has as many freaking buttons as an '02 Bonneville. Not cool. The salesman agreed with me on the too many buttons thing, he said it is a pain in the ass taking 2-3 hours (in some cases) to train customers how to do simple things in their new cars.

After spending time at an Acura dealership this weekend (where I bought my car) I'd have to say that, if I were in the market, the TL and CTS would be neck and neck.  The CTS' interior is a bit on the cheap and ugly side for me, but the TL has as many freaking buttons as an '02 Bonneville.  Not cool.  The salesman agreed with me on the too many buttons thing, he said it is a pain in the ass taking 2-3 hours (in some cases) to train customers how to do simple things in their new cars.

[post="53183"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

just go get a bmw with idrive

The TL has a nice interior, but it's not a driver's car.  The CTS could run circles around it.  The G6 GTP is more a driver's car than the TL.

[post="53535"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

WHAT!!!!!!!

You must be defining "drivers car" in a whole new way. The TL has more HP and Torque than non-V CTS, lower weight, better skidpad and slalom numbers, etc.

Please define your criteria for a drivers car.

WHAT!!!!!!!

You must be defining "drivers car" in a whole new way.  The TL has more HP and Torque  than  non-V CTS, lower weight, better skidpad and slalom numbers, etc. 

[post="53833"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Numbers don't tell the whole story. The TL's driving dynamics are far inferior to even the Grand Prix GTP, never mind the CTS. Way too much torque steer on the TL for it to be thought of in the same vein as the CTS.

WHAT!!!!!!!

You must be defining "drivers car" in a whole new way.  The TL has more HP and Torque  than  non-V CTS, lower weight, better skidpad and slalom numbers, etc. 

[post="53833"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Engine and transmission in the TL are great, but the car feels soft, and the steering in particular ruins it. I thought the older CL drove better than it. To me, the TL is more of a family sedan than a sports sedan.

Engine and transmission in the TL are great, but the car feels soft, and the steering in particular ruins it.  I thought the older CL drove better than it.  To me, the TL is more of a family sedan than a sports sedan.

[post="54304"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I suppose in that sense, the TL keeps that old school TL entry-lux boat quality.

Do they end reviews of the Accord and Solara coupes with the same 'Why not get a Mustang?' line? If not, then they need to get lives.

[post="52531"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Lol of course not. Why would Honda & Driver say get a Mustang over their awesome Accord? And why would Toyota Trend rank any GM over a Toyota?

Ugh... Well I absolutely hate it. It's the worse of all Auto Magazines I've ever seen. It makes it look feminine to me. I just... hate it to death. Especially because of the overuse of these:(*...*). :wacko:
I'm glad I'm not including in "most"......

[post="53018"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

yep--Motor Trend sucks balls. They try for real artsy photography to cover for the pathetic writting but it doesn't work at all. Pics are grainy, blurry and werid most of the time. I was thinking of subscribing but not a chance.

Each issue I buy is very disapointing, like a diet soft drink. If there is a test on a car I really like, I might buy it.

Well, I personally would prefer the G6 over the Mustang because I hate overdone retro, and I prefer swoopy cars to boxes, much as I prefer Chrysler's LH sedans to the LX ones (especially in Dodge's unfortunate case). What can I say, the G6's style has won me over.

Doesn't the CTS compete with the TSX, not the TL, which I thought was the STS's job

[post="53905"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The CTS and TL are competitors. The STS competes with the RL. Neither is doing very well, the STS because it's too big and cheap, the RL because it's too expensive and there's no V8 to justify the price (what were they thinking, an M35 has just as much power and doesn't pretend to be a V8 equivalent). The TSX is honda's version of the BLS—a smaller sedan because the TL is too big to compete directly with the 3-series and A4 etc. Apparently fwd is popular in the TL's segment, since it outsells the G35 and CTS.

The CTS and TL are competitors. The STS competes with the RL. Neither is doing very well, the STS because it's too big and cheap, the RL because it's too expensive and there's no V8 to justify the price (what were they thinking, an M35 has just as much power and doesn't pretend to be a V8 equivalent). The TSX is honda's version of the BLS—a smaller sedan because the TL is too big to compete directly with the 3-series and A4 etc. Apparently fwd is popular in the TL's segment, since it outsells the G35 and CTS.

[post="60731"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree with you for the most part. Especially about the STS being to big and cheap (unfortuantely). Hopefully the new Escalade interior will have a trickle down effect. The TSX can be seen as a competitior to the 3 and A4 four cylnders, but really it's a competitor to the A3, upcoming 1-Series,BLS (as you said), S40,9-2X. It's the $24-30K so called compact lux segment found below the cut throat $30K intro lux segment. The 330I,A4,G,CTS,S60,IS,A3,9-3,C-Class and TL comprises this intro lux segment, and is really a step above the TSX. Infiniti and Lexus don't have direct competitors to the TSX, though Infiniti used to (the G20). Edited by titan