MPH Makes it up to you...Aspen spy photos

mphmag

I know a lot of people across the internet were bummed that we had to have the leaked Feb cover removed (it had the embargoed Challenger on it) so to make it up to Chrysler fans (GM fans will have to wait I guess ) here are shots of the new Aspen. chrysler's version of the Durango.

Just what the company needed.

http://www.mph-online.com/web/spyphotos/0028

You can pretty clearly see the 300 style grill.  This will definatley be better looking, less disjointed, than the Durango.

[post="53716"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, they need it. In this market, in this day, you need a large SUV if you want to have a full line. It's like the Escape/Mariner; Trailblazer/Envoy... DCX sees a piece of the market lost because it doesn't have a Chrysler badged Durango. SUVs still bring in alot of profit; expecially hot ones that aren't "given" away. The Chrysler name is so hot right now... it's an opportune time to hit GM and Ford while they're down. Plus, the new Hemis come with DOD, so from a marketing standpoint, DCX will be prepared to address fuel consuption needs. This is a no brainer for Chrysler.

BAD name....... Probably will be a decent truck...... I actually like the Durango, it has a big interior, it has a great powertrain....it just has a butt-ugly nose. Why they (Dodge) didn't use the VERY similar, yet different, Dakota front-end, I don't know. I think the Dakota looks way better in front, even though it's not THAT different. The Chrysler version ought to fix the one thing I really don't like about Durango. (AND, some nicer interior plastics would be fine as well.....)

I actually like the Durango, it has a big interior, it has a great powertrain....it just has a butt-ugly nose.

Why they (Dodge) didn't use the VERY similar, yet different, Dakota front-end, I don't know.  I think the Dakota looks way better in front, even though it's not THAT different.

The Chrysler version ought to fix the one thing I really don't like about Durango.  (AND, some nicer interior plastics would be fine as well.....)

[post="53758"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree on all points.

I think it will aim at the same segment that buys 300Cs. Those folks aren't buying a Pacifica (no one is right?). And the Durango is just horribly proportioned and styled. I don't think Jeep really resonates as a elegant vehicle either. i think Chrysler is trying to recapture that upscale feel even if it is all perception.

A few bugs with the front end look or not, the Durango is a GREAT SUV, no doubt, as is. Definately one of the most solid and well-built feeling, plus has a roomy interior for 7 and a 3rd seat that folds flat--live axle underneath and all. Plus, well, there's also the Hemi :) It didn't beat the snot out of an Expedition, Tahoe, Armada, and Seqouia in both MT and C&D full-size ute's comparison about a year ago for nothing. :AH-HA_wink: Give the same vehicle a very classy, elegant look and even better interior trimmings, and there'll definately be a market. Even from these pics, I already think I like the wheels and the grille. I'd buy one, IF that was, I wanted a trucklet myself...which I don't at the moment. Edited by caddycruiser

A few bugs with the front end look or not, the Durango is a GREAT SUV, no doubt, as is.  Definately one of the most solid and well-built feeling, plus has a roomy interior for 7 and a 3rd seat that folds flat--live axle underneath and all.  Plus, well, there's also the Hemi :)

It didn't beat the snot out of an Expedition, Tahoe, Armada, and Seqouia in both MT and C&D full-size ute's comparison about a year ago for nothing. :AH-HA_wink:

Give the same vehicle a very classy, elegant look and even better interior trimmings, and there'll definately be a market.  Even from these pics, I already think I like the wheels and the grille.  I'd buy one, IF that was, I wanted a trucklet myself...which I don't at the moment.

[post="53863"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes. The Durango is VERY solid. We have one (though it's the 4.7L engine) and it's very sturdy. Not the greatest interior, but shitt, who cares!

And I was really hoping they wouldn't go through with this... First, DCX is creating major product overlap...this really eats into the GC's market. Secondly, they've got horrible timing...gas prices, big truck stigma etc etc. Design-wise, we can all clearly see the design of the upcoming truck. I've gotta commend them on fixing the Durango's mismatched front-end. The Aspen's looks to capitalize on the success of the 300's design (unfortunately the Sebring was not so lucky), and it appears to fit the vehicle. If Chrysler is serious about attracting the "bling" crowd ala Escalade, they'll need to follow suit ala '07 Escalade...meaning upgraded/unique interior, unique options, more power etc. Even then, I don't see this being a big success. Will the Aspen name continue to be a curse to Chrysler? I'm looking forward to finding out...

And I was really hoping they wouldn't go through with this...

First, DCX is creating major product overlap...this really eats into the GC's market.  Secondly, they've got horrible timing...gas prices, big truck stigma etc etc.

Design-wise, we can all clearly see the design of the upcoming truck.  I've gotta commend them on fixing the Durango's mismatched front-end. The Aspen's looks to capitalize on the success of the 300's design (unfortunately the Sebring was not so lucky), and it appears to fit the vehicle.

If Chrysler is serious about attracting the "bling" crowd ala Escalade, they'll need to follow suit ala '07 Escalade...meaning upgraded/unique interior, unique options, more power etc.  Even then, I don't see this being a big success.  Will the Aspen name continue to be a curse to Chrysler?  I'm looking forward to finding out...

[post="53891"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Aspen will be much roomier than the GC, just like the Durango. And I'm guessing a bit more up-market too. But not much.

The Aspen will be much roomier than the GC, just like the Durango. And I'm guessing a bit more up-market too. But not much.

[post="53909"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I wonder if Chrysler is capable of making an upscale interior. For my money, nothing they make now has one. For that matter, even the new MLs have cheap looking interiors compared to, say, the '07 Escalade or even the Tahoe.

i think at some point the badges pay for themselves. like the Durango has already paid/paved the way for the aspen so to actually sell it won't cost as much as developing an entirely new vehicle. Even though Durango sales are so poor. I think the Aspen will sell ok. Especially if it is embraced by urban buyers like the 300 was. The new Escalade could be polarizing. But I think smaller utes/crossovers are still a better idea but folks won't buy minivans for the seven seats. Strange.

Even though Durango sales are so poor.

[post="53923"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Dodge sold 11,143 Durango's last month. Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Also, for the people saying that it is the wrong time to add another large SUV due to fuel costs......see the thread I posted about the Hybrid Durango. I'm sure the Aspen will have the Hybrid system......if not debut with with it.

The shape isn't very different from the melted Durango. The new front clip should be an improvement, but I don't have high hopes for this one.

[post="53725"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's what I'm thinking. It's still the basic shape with a new front end, that's about it. I think Chrysler needs an SUV but it needs a distinctly styled SUV, not some carbon copy of the Durango. DCX was getting good at platform sharing there with the LX cars but I guess that's all it can do.

Guest YellowJacket894
Posted Image

Yikes. My answer to the bold-lettered tagline in this line is this: Yes, yes it did. And you wonder why you had financial trouble in the late '70s and early '80s.

Makes my eyes bleed.

As for Chrysler's new Aspen, it's just an attempt to reach out and grab some of the Escalade's market share. A solid hit, maybe, but it won't do any major damage to what the Escalade has going for it. In time, it could be a major player. But, as for now, it will recieve the same response as the first generation 'Slade did. Edited by anorexorcist