Buicks new name?

Newbiewar

well I'm not exactly sure how to proncounce "Lucerne" But what does it mean? and that the point? I mean I know generally when you put STS or G6 or XLR... people would rather say Cadillac, Pontiac, Lexus, Mercedies Benz, etc... so is that the point of making a word that might seem difficult on the tounge to new comers? get people saying... "Thats that.. um.. that um... that BUICK" I mean its a great car and its kind of a shocker car for the buick line up... so many plain looking vehicles for so many years... Its almost a shock to say... you know... look at that buick! so I ask... why did the name Lucerne get chosen to be the new class leading buick?

What's difficult about it?  It's a dairy brand for Safeway and it's a city in Switzerland.

It is even phonetic:  loo-SERN

[post="58075"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

see i would not have gone that route about it... and thats not what i've been telling people about the all new buick vehicle :lol:

but then again my reading ability sucks...

At Safeway, it is!

[post="58111"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, but Safeway is NOT a nationwide chain. It is not in every state. So I wouldn't assume the entire country would be aware that Lucerne is a particular grocery's dairy line or associate it with Buick’s new sedan.

Yes, but Safeway is NOT a nationwide chain. It is not in every state. So I wouldn't assume the entire country would be aware that Lucerne is a particular grocery's dairy line or associate it with Buick’s new sedan.

[post="58118"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I am aware, but in my initial post I specifically mentioned the Safeway connection.

What's difficult about it?  It's a dairy brand for Safeway and it's a city in Switzerland.

It is even phonetic:  loo-SERN

[post="58075"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Edited by Croc

I am aware, but in my initial post I specifically mentioned the Safeway connection.

[post="58131"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, but there really is no connection. It's strictly coincidence. Safeway's dairy brand had no influence over GM naming the new Buick sedan Lucerne. The fact that half the country may not be aware of Safeway's dairy brand means many people will not have that association.

A lot of ranting went on in the beginning over GM being STUPID or DUMB for naming the Lucerne after Safeway's dairy brand even though many people in the US don't know it even exists.

Yes, but there really is no connection. It's strictly coincidence. Safeway's dairy brand had no influence over GM naming the new Buick sedan Lucerne. The fact that half the country may not be aware of Safeway's dairy brand means many people will not have that association.

[post="58142"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

...I never suggested anything to the contrary. He said it was a strange name and hard to pronounce, and I was merely pointing out that it might not be all that unfamiliar. Plus, he lives in CA and should know Safeway.

[post="58118"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I've never heard of it.

i think this guy is tryin to make fun of the name...there is nothing hard to pronounce about Lucerne.

[post="58143"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

ohh thanks for making me look like a new comer and a trouble maker...

...I never suggested anything to the contrary.  He said it was a strange name and hard to pronounce, and I was merely pointing out that it might not be all that unfamiliar.  Plus, he lives in CA and should know Safeway.

[post="58146"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Safeway doesnt have any locations in my area, there are some in northercali, but i've never been in one...

I was just pointing out... that upon seeing it, i'd pronounce it Lu-Sir-REen

where as you guys suggested that it is pronounced Loo_SERN

Buick has always had a strong brand identity anyway, something car companies like Mazda clearly struggle with. The individual models are most often referred to as 'Buicks' and sometimes the model. Perhaps the only two outstandingly-known nameplates are LeSabre, Riviera, and to a lesser-extent Grand National.

Safeway = Pavilions, Vons, Genuardi's, Dominick's, Randalls, Tom Thumb, and Carrs, and they each sell Lucerne products. I say "lew-scern", btw.

[post="58184"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm aware that they have different chains. I'm from Texas. Safeway is "Randall's" & "Tom Thumb" in Texas.

But Safeway as a whole (including sub-chains) is NOT nationwide. They're primarily in the West & Midwest... From their website (1,800 stores total):

Safeway at a Glance

Safeway Inc. is one of the largest food and drug retailers in North America. As of September 10, 2005, the company operated 1,800 stores in the Western, Southwestern, Rocky Mountain, and Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States and in western Canada. In support of its stores, Safeway has an extensive network of distribution, manufacturing and food processing facilities. Safeway also holds a 49% interest in Casa Ley, S.A. de C.V., a retailer in food and general merchandise retailer in western Mexico. br /> 

STORES (as of 09/10/2005)
U.S. Division Total Stores
Denver 144
Dominick's 99
Eastern (Md., Va., DC, Genuardi's) 177
Northern California (includes Hawaii) 269
Phoenix 114
Portland 118
Texas (Randalls/Tom Thumb) 138
Seattle (includes Alaska) 207
Southern California (Vons) 315
Total U.S. 1,581

Canada Operating Areas:
Alberta 88
Vancouver 75
Winnipeg 56
Total Canada 219

TOTAL U.S. & CANADA 1,800

Notice they have very little presence (if none at all), throughout most of the US. So most of the country is not aware of Lucerne Dairy products.

I'm aware that they have different chains. I'm from Texas. Safeway is "Randall's" & "Tom Thumb" in Texas.

But Safeway as a whole (including sub-chains) is NOT nationwide. They're primarily in the West & Midwest... From their website (1,800 stores total):
Notice they have very little presence (if none at all), throughout most of the US. So most of the country is not aware of Lucerne Dairy products.

[post="58215"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

OK you made your point, however irrelevant it was as I never implied it was national to begin with :unsure: . Way to make a big deal out of a passing comment. Jeez :blink: Edited by Croc

OK you made your point, however irrelevant it was as I never implied it was national to begin with :unsure: .  Way to make a big deal out of a passing comment. Jeez  :blink:

[post="58220"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It wasn't just you. Several people on this board think Lucerne is synonymous with Safeway and dairy. Comments like yours continue to perpetuate that idea.

I was just pointing out... that upon seeing it, i'd pronounce it Lu-Sir-REen

where as you guys suggested that it is pronounced Loo_SERN

[post="58158"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm not saying you were here to make fun of the name, but zoom is right, there really is nothing hard about Lucerne. It follows the rules of standard modern English in every way possible even if it is named after a Swiss city. There is no word in the English language (or any foreign language as far as I know) where an "e" sound comes magically between an 'r' and an 'n'. For example serene has that ending you initially were thinking of but the "e" is prominent between the 'r' and the 'n'.

Terraza, Enclave, even Rendezvous you might have a fair argument. But you have to really try to mess up Lucerne if you're actually reading it is all. Edited by Cananopie

I'm not saying you were here to make fun of the name, but zoom is right, there really is nothing hard about Lucerne. It follows the rules of modern standard English in every way possible even if it is named after a Swiss city. There is no word in the English language (or any foreign language as far as I know) where an "e" sound comes magically between an 'r' and an 'n'. For example serene has that ending you initially were thinking of but the "e" is prominent between the 'r' and the 'n'.

Terraza, Enclave, even Rendezvous you might have a fair argument. But you have to really try to mess up Lucerne if you're actually reading it is all.

[post="58268"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Finally someone with common sense in this thread... :rolleyes:

Nissen is a big bread and bakery company in New England it hasn''t hurt Nissan, so I don't think a brand of milk should hurt Buick. We all know what Hummer means and that hasn't hurt that brand.  Toyota sounds like toilet and hasn't hurt them.  A lot of people butcher the name Hyundai.

[post="58363"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

BTW, Nissin is a brand of Japanese instant noodles...

They shoulda called it the "Invicta". My daughter and I phonetically refer to that ungainly-looking Buick crossover vehicle as the "Ren-dez-vouz" (pronouncing the Zs). But just so youse knows, we're equal opportunity offenders; the old Dodge Dynasty was the "Die-NASTY", Phord's LTD is sounded out as "ul-tud", the Cadillac DTS refers to the dee-tees (like the dudes in the drunk tank encounter), etc. etc. Hey, maybe we have too much time on our hands?

These new names that GM insists on giving these warmed over entries are retarded. Terazza, Enclave, Lucerne give me a break. GM's name changes have brought much confusion from the buying public. My dad checked out Buick's site yesterday and was shocked to see not one familliar name and all but 2 sedans from just a few years ago. He had to ask me what these cars were before the name changes because nothing looked familiar. He also couldn't believe they had a minivan.

These new names that GM insists on giving these warmed over entries are retarded.

He had to ask me what these cars were before the name changes because nothing looked familiar. He also couldn't believe they had a minivan.

[post="59572"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Aren't you contradicting yourself right there? "warmed over" and "nothing looked familiar"... wouldn't you be able to to tell the Lucerne was the LeSabre/Park Avenue replacement if it was "warmed over" or that the LaCrosse was the Regal/Century replacement if it was "warmed over," and how can you judge that the Enclave is "warmed over" when virtually nobody has seen it yet? And in fact those who have have raved about its styling.

Buick has been getting a lot of new names, but Buick's image was hurting bad just a few years ago with the oldest average buying age in the industry. GM has decided to give Buick a new fresh image... last time they did this was with the 1959 Invicta, Electra (which ran for about 30 years) and LeSabre (which ran for almost half-a-century) so it's not exactly a bad idea.

If you think they're so warmed over, get in one and test drive it and tell us where the warmed-over parts are, we'll be waiting for an educated judgement.

:lol: This was kinda funny. All I could think of was how do you pronounce "loo", I have no idea what so ever. As in look ? or Loose ? But here Id been thinking Lou as the human name. You know short for Lewis, but then it should be Lew ? or wait maybe its short for Louis but then in French thats pronounced Louis, OMG beat me with a dictionary :lol: then is it cern or sern or is there something special you need to do with your tongue and the roof of your mouth to get the proper effect ? Say what you will but the name is seriously foreign to me, thereby giving me the impression I need some kind of accent and long blond braids to get the proper effect. So the question is, is it a long U or a short u ? Or can I go with Le so as to retain a bit of the LeSabre? Now was that Lee Sabre or La Sabre ? Bre or Ber ? You know those letter names might just work out for the best. :P

:lol: This was kinda funny. All I could think of was how do you pronounce "loo", I have no idea what so ever. As in look ? or Loose ? But here Id been thinking Lou as the human name. You know short for Lewis, but then it should be Lew ? or wait maybe its short for Louis but then in French thats pronounced Louis, OMG beat me with a dictionary  :lol:

then is it cern or sern or is there something special you need to do with your tongue and the roof of your mouth to get the proper effect ?

Say what you will but the name is seriously foreign to me, thereby giving me the impression I need some kind of accent and long blond braids to get the proper effect.

So the question is, is it a long U or a short u ? Or can I go with Le so as to retain a bit of the LeSabre? Now was that Lee Sabre or La Sabre ? Bre or Ber ?

You know those letter names might just work out for the best.

:P

[post="60594"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I believe it's pronounced "loo", as in British slang for a water closet. I always said, "Luh Say-brah", even though in French it's "Luh Sah-breh".

I have no connection to "loo" what so ever. How come I dont get it ? So its not Lou(Lew) cern ?
loo as in look ? which would come out almost sounding like Le.... as in Sabre.

[post="60656"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No... it's "lew". But "loo" in meaning water closet is pronounced "lew".

Is it just me or has this developed into like the worst thread ever?

[post="60660"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So whats a water closet ?

Is that the meaning of Loozernie ?

Im going to drive to work in my new water closet ?

So oo is pronounced like U ? you know.... YOU

so just where in the F did oo come from ? as well ? also ?

:lol:

Aren't you contradicting yourself right there? "warmed over" and "nothing looked familiar"... wouldn't you be able to to tell the Lucerne was the LeSabre/Park Avenue replacement if it was "warmed over" or that the LaCrosse was the Regal/Century replacement if it was "warmed over," and how can you judge that the Enclave is "warmed over" when virtually nobody has seen it yet? And in fact those who have have raved about its styling.

Buick has been getting a lot of new names, but Buick's image was hurting bad just a few years ago with the oldest average buying age in the industry. GM has decided to give Buick a new fresh image... last time they did this was with the 1959 Invicta, Electra (which ran for about 30 years) and LeSabre (which ran for almost half-a-century) so it's not exactly a bad idea.

If you think they're so warmed over, get in one and test drive it and tell us where the warmed-over parts are, we'll be waiting for an educated judgement.

[post="59678"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

How did I contradict myself? If you actually bothered to read my whole paragraph you would have seen the words "my dad". I myself know that these are all warmed over entries with new names. My dad is not a car enthusiasts like myself so does not know what a Lucerne or LaCrosse is. None of these cars sounded or looked familiar. I had to explain that these were still Regals/Centurys, Lesabres/Park Aves underneath. It's the name changes on old platforms with older engines/trannys that is ludicrous. Why did they bother re-naming the Regal. What was wrong with Park Ave or LeSabre. These were names that people identified with and made cars like LeSabre best sellers in there segments. Now many consumers see all these brand new names and different sheetmetal and interiors and have no clue what they are buying.

It's the name changes on old platforms with older engines/trannys that is ludicrous.

[post="61928"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Can't argue with that. Wasn't Buick supposed to be getting billions for new development? If so, why not use the mone to develop a new platform. One that can support a number of cars, and a crossover? Like Sigma? Or Nissan's FM? Where's the money. If GM was working on such a product, we would know about it... even if it was "secret" :P . It's cheap (relatively speaking) to retool older existing platforms, and put in proven powertrains. I'm sure it took millions (however many) to develop the Lacrosse and Lucerne, and there both very good vehicles. But it's not the boatload of new money I remember hearing Buick would recieve (like Caddy did) to overhaul their product and image.

Can't argue with that.  Wasn't Buick supposed to be getting billions for new development?  If so, why not use the mone to develop a new platform.  One that can support a number of cars, and a crossover?  Like Sigma?  Or Nissan's FM?  Where's the money.  If GM was working on such a product, we would know about it...  even if it was "secret" :P .   It's cheap (relatively speaking) to retool older existing platforms, and put in proven powertrains.   I'm sure it took millions (however many) to develop the Lacrosse and Lucerne, and there both very good vehicles.  But it's not the boatload of new money I remember hearing Buick would recieve (like Caddy did) to overhaul their product and image.

[post="62016"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

LaCrosse and Lucerne were suppose to have been Regal & LeSabre but Lutz came on board and postponed both projects for a year to upgrade them. With the upgrade came new names. Neither are part of the $3 billion investment announced in 2004. They were completed or near completion when the investment was announced. As a matter of fact, the Terraza & Rainier were not part of the investment either. We haven't seen anything come from the investment announcement. Enclave may be the first vehicle, but the 2009/10 LaCrosse will probably be the first sedan.

LaCrosse and Lucerne were suppose to have been Regal & LeSabre but Lutz came on board and postponed both projects for a year to upgrade them. With the upgrade came new names. Neither are part of the $3 billion investment announced in 2004. They were completed or near completion when the investment was announced. As a matter of fact, the Terraza & Rainier were not part of the investment either. We haven't seen anything come from the investment announcement. Enclave may be the first vehicle, but the 2009/10 LaCrosse will probably be the first sedan.

[post="62049"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thanks. That's acutally a relief. Atleast I know that the money wasn't wasted, or taken away from them. As updated vehicles on old platforms go, it doesn't get any better than the Lucerne and Lacrosse. But I'm really looking to what the $3Bil produces.

"Wasn't Buick supposed to be getting billions for new development?"

Didn't most of that go down the drain with the stock price plunge, and the "legacy costs" of the past few years.

[post="62485"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's my thinking - that Buick saw very little of the $3 billion due to pressing financial concerns.