Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trinacriabob

What irks you in a co-worker?

54 posts in this topic

There is always a PROBLEM here or there. "Office Space" LIVES!

In my project area, there is ONLY one person I don't like. His problem is his meddlesome nature. First, he has to get involved in people's financial affairs (he can't manage his own). Then, he always does a "shaking of the finger" when a person gets time off during a crunch (when he's done the same thing). He always seems to be TOO interested in what others are doing, right down to making smart-ass comments about who is or isn't participating in what event at the forthcoming picnic. Except for a few people I like, I couldn't even REMOTELY tell you what others are into.

Not only that, he's got the same creepy brow that the dude from "Silence of the Lambs" has. No wonder his marriage is awful and his wife is a workaholic. Nobody seems to like this guy and our consultant groups even ask "Is (insert his name) coming to the meeting?," hoping it's NO!

Don't get me wrong, I go to lunch with different people about 3 out of the 5 weekly work days. Those people are FUN and we have our "code words" and "nicknames" for people, places and situations.

What I find is that difficult people in the workplace don't "check their issues at the door" and "project" their outside issues on their co-workers.

People who are perpetually happy, always cheery and smiling. I've always felt those are the ones that will end up stabbing us all.

People who are perpetually happy, always cheery and smiling. I've always felt those are the ones that will end up stabbing us all.

Ha! Great. You're probably right.

There is one guy I ALWAYS say "hello" to because, if he ever loses it, I want to be spared!

+1. And those that laugh at everything...I used to have a coworker that sat over the cube wall from me that would do that... 'I just got an email..hah-hah-hah.'... 'I have a meeting..hah-hah-hah'. 'The production database crashed. Hah-hah-hah'. Got old after a while..after 3 years, got really old. Though he was very sharp and a great guy to work/lunch/drink with otherwise.

A current pet peeve are the ones that come in late (9:30-10) and stay late (till 6:30) and send out emails expecting a reply after 5pm. I consistently come in by 7:30 and leave by 4:30 (some in my dept come even earlier/leave earlier). One guy on my team comes in at 9:30-10 and always misses the 9am Monday meeting.

One thing working in Colorado Springs back in the '90s I found very irriating were managers, coworkers, etc that were always trying to invite me to join their church, etc. I'm not religious and find it pretty presumptive of them to assume I was a Christian (not every WASPy guy that moves to Colorado Springs is an evangelical).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

+1. And those that laugh at everything...I used to have a coworker that sat over the cube wall from me that would do that... 'I just got an email..hah-hah-hah.'... 'I have a meeting..hah-hah-hah'. 'The production database crashed. Hah-hah-hah'. Got old after a while..after 3 years, got really old. Though he was very sharp and a great guy to work/lunch/drink with otherwise.

A current pet peeve are the ones that come in late (9:30-10) and stay late (till 6:30) and send out emails expecting a reply after 5pm. I consistently come in by 7:30 and leave by 4:30 (some in my dept come even earlier/leave earlier). One guy on my team comes in at 9:30-10 and always misses the 9am Monday meeting.

One thing working in Colorado Springs back in the '90s I found very irriating were managers, coworkers, etc that were always trying to invite me to join their church, etc. I'm not religious and find it pretty presumptive of them to assume I was a Christian (not every WASPy guy that moves to Colorado Springs is an evangelical).

This is hilarious.

How about people who stay late to "grandstand" and show that extra dose of "commitment?" Yeah, right.

Yes, religion and politics definitely need to stay out of the workplace. For some reason, religion seems to be more of a problem than does politics, since I always steer politics to its quantitative impact on the economy and it ends there.

HOWEVER, with all the admonishments in today's work place, people still have the need to cram religion down your throat. I had a co-worker I really liked. He was (still is) a structural engineer. I knew he went to Catholic school in a small town because those of his specific Protestant denomination were not well-represented. He was a very polite and considerate person, who kept religion out of the picture. One night, I'm reading at Starbucks and he walks in with his wife. She was very engaging and outgoing (whereas he is very reserved) and we were having a great conversation. At some point in her life, she converted from Catholicism to some type of fundamentalist grass-roots Christianity. When we all got up to leave, it then got to:

"Well, you have to come to our church. I know you would really enjoy meeting our pastor. You really should come."

Me: "Thanks for the invitation. I'm really not that religious and know that I only feel comfortable in a Catholic church to begin with. I have a parish I attend"

"Oh, no, really, you should come..."

Back and forth...you get the idea.

If that had happened in a work setting, that would qualify as harassment.

Nobody I work with really does this, but I have seen it in others. I can't stand it when someone is either on a phone or talking amongst their group VERY LOUDLY so that EVERYBODY CAN HEAR HOW IMPORTANT THEIR CONVERSATION IS. Half the time it is about the most inane, mundane things that 99% of people could care less about.

But as far as co-workers go, I get tired of the gossip among the girls. A majority of my firm is between 25-35 years old, and there are a lot of single girls that I sit by who are constantly gossiping. I don't mind them usually, but they will spend 20-30 minutes at a time gossiping while the rest of us are working away. And these are the same people that will pad their hours and get praises for working long hours, while some of us are more efficient with our time and can get it done in the 8 hour day but get the "your hours have been lower than some others" comment at our mid-year reviews.

Damn my grammar sucks today...edit edit edit

Attitudes of entitlement are my pet peeve.

When employees expect to be paid for three minutes they're on the job past the end of a scheduled shift, but complain when they're docked pay for being over fifteen minutes late.

When a co-worker I know spends more time doing her personal business on the phone than getting back to the clients who've left messages while the line was busy.

There are plenty of others; however, this one is my personal favorite:

A 35 year old employee at one of the stores in my division had community theatre three nights a week. He literally whined to his manager that he didn't have time between the end of his work day and the start of his theatre rehearsal to get dressed in character (makeup, etc.), so he said, "I came up with a great idea. I think I'll change and get ready at work a half-hour before the end of my shift so I can just lock the doors and go."

What he failed to realize was that: a) he wears a uniform for his shift and can't be doing business with a damned clown costume on; b) the last fifteen minutes of the day is when final tidy and tally is performed, all hands on deck; c) never had any store been able to lock the doors and go home until at least ten minutes past the end of the day because of lingering staff, customers, duties, etc. He simply expected his co-workers to pick up his slack.

When his manager had difficulty dealing with the situation, I stepped in and offered a compromise. I asked him if he was willing to take an earlier shift and not have to worry about being late for rehearsals. He said no because that shift was a 1/2 hour shorter and he didn't like cutting his hours. I asked him if he was willing to come in a half hour earlier so he could leave a half hour before closing. He said no because his kids school is on his way to work and not his wife's, so his shift allowed him to always drop them off on time without having to get them up even earlier (a lousy half hour?). I asked him if he knew of any other jobs he could work that would allow him to get paid for standing in front of a mirror for half an hour.

He wasn't so friendly with me after that meeting.

Edited by ShadowDog

Another one is when your project manager comes over at 4:45 as the day is wrapping up and gives you something to work on that is due the next morning and takes an extra 3 hours, when they could have given it to you earlier in the afternoon but they forgot. Nice.

Edited by mustang84

This is hilarious.

How about people who stay late to "grandstand" and show that extra dose of "commitment?" Yeah, right.

Yes, religion and politics definitely need to stay out of the workplace. For some reason, religion seems to be more of a problem than does politics, since I always steer politics to its quantitative impact on the economy and it ends there.

If that had happened in a work setting, that would qualify as harassment.

The best was my first week on the job at a large telecom company in Colorado Springs, June '97. I had just moved to town from Michigan, really my first big corporate job after grad school....my manager came by my cube, serious look on his face...asked if I had found a place, moved in, etc and if I had found a church, and invited me to his...one of the largest evangelical ones in the country (New Life, the megachurch who's pastor was in the gay prostitution scandal a couple years ago). I politely declined, but he asked me to come to events of theirs a couple more times over the next year before he decamped to Finland. Only after living there a few months did I realize I had moved to a place that was a hot bed of right wing fundies. Living in Ann Arbor and Chicago the previous few years, I only knew Colorado Springs for the Air Force Academy, great weather and great scenery...

Rob

Anyone who has to tell a story that reminds them of something that we just talked about or just occured in the office, work related or not... So annoying!

"That reminds me of the time I....". Of course, you hear the same stories over the years and they always seem to exaggerate certain parts of it to the point of total BS.

I start work in a week and a half, so I'm looking forward to these deliciously awkward encounters. Some of your guys' stories are pretty funny. :D

Anyone who has to tell a story that reminds them of something that we just talked about or just occured in the office, work related or not... So annoying!

"That reminds me of the time I....". Of course, you hear the same stories over the years and they always seem to exaggerate certain parts of it to the point of total BS.

I've been guilty of that... :) Move from company to company with my collection of stories, different ones for different contexts... I'm also guilty of when encountering a situation at work, saying 'well, at company XYZ, we did this...".. :)

it's been nice and extremely liberating not to have to deal with coworker $h! for awhile. very cleansing for the soul.

shoot em all and then they are gone.

When my "little" people under me don't use the Cover sheet on the TPS reports.

When my "little" people under me don't use the Cover sheet on the TPS reports.

Yeahhhhhhhhh..... soooooooo I'm gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Saturday..... that'd be greaaaaaat.

Yeahhhhhhhhh..... soooooooo I'm gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Saturday..... that'd be greaaaaaat.

They took my stapler.

(this really happened at the startup I worked at last year...the bastard Toyota-lovin' kids stole my red Swingline)

They took my stapler.

(this really happened at the startup I worked at last year...the bastard Toyota-lovin' kids stole my red Swingline)

I just fell out of my chair on that one.

I just fell out of my chair on that one.

That was one of my stranger job experiences...anti fraud software company..the interview went well, they were building some interesting technology, but working there sucked...I worked with a bunch of obnoxious 20-something Toyota fanboys that gave me a hard time constantly for driving an American car and stole things out of my cube...

what's a 'co-worker'?

Bleh...I know how you feel, so "enjoy" it while you can...

Today's our picinic, so that will be interesting. Getting to see everybody make idiots of themselves. I will be steering clear of "Hannibal," who is the consummate geek.

The food is generally fantastic, so I'll indulge in the endless varieties of food (and skip dinner) and then disappear in the afternoon to have my (passenger side) struts looked at, since they are under warranty

what's a 'co-worker'?

Best part is when your "co-workers" wouldn't know "work" if it bit them in the ass.

Years ago, Scott Adams (of Dilbert fame) convinced me to think of them as "cow-orkers". Use your imagination to fill in what orking might be.

Bleh...I know how you feel, so "enjoy" it while you can...

Today's our picinic, so that will be interesting. Getting to see everybody make idiots of themselves. I will be steering clear of "Hannibal," who is the consummate geek.

The food is generally fantastic, so I'll indulge in the endless varieties of food (and skip dinner) and then disappear in the afternoon to have my (passenger side) struts looked at, since they are under warranty

if this were a facebook page, i would LIKE this. lol

recruiter told me yesterday bob, that unemp in our field in boston area is SEVENTY percent. not just 50 like it is here. SEVENTY. he says it will hit 70 here before things turn around.

in the meantime, me and my son watch movies and surf on C/G

recruiter told me yesterday bob, that unemp in our field in boston area is SEVENTY percent. not just 50 like it is here. SEVENTY. he says it will hit 70 here before things turn around.

Damn..that's an amazing number...architecture is your field?

I've talked w/ a few recruiters lately, and they claim it's about 5 percent in the Phoenix metro, and about 3 percent in the Denver metro for my niche..

Rob

I've been guilty of that... :) Move from company to company with my collection of stories, different ones for different contexts... I'm also guilty of when encountering a situation at work, saying 'well, at company XYZ, we did this...".. :)

I'm the worlds worst for this. To me, life is about efficiency and doing the best job possible. So I'm very guilty of pissing off supervisors with "we did it this way at"

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Yep, the GF tells me a lot of the same. Says it's supposed to pick up around 2012 like mad though. We'll really be effed if she graduates into the same employment slump that I did.

Charlotte area unemployment is around 20% now by some reports. Damn banks and their outdated business models (btw, I mean to be ironic in that statement and reference GM)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0