A Horse With No Name

LeMons-Who else here is nuts?

67 posts in this topic

Who here would like to get a GM car together for a run at LeMons?

It's the race for $500 beaters that was in the link with the MR2 racing the Buick.

Talking with people here that would like to possibly start a C and G team, let us know. Maybe we can actually get Oldsmoboi out from behind his computer and behind the wheel...

This thread is for any comments or ideas, no matter how crazy or unrealistic. We are just in the talking stages/dreaming stages now, BUT...we can make this a reality if we want to.

Thinking of perhaps running a J body Cavalier...but would be open to other choices. Although we may lose dave87rs as a forum member if the Cavalier is chosen for the People's Curse and destroyed! (just kidding Dave, know your love for Cavi's...)

Chris

Just to give a heads up - we do not need any racing experience, nor we need any NASCAR-esque license. If the car is seized, we may end up paying about $1,000 at the most per person. We are looking for 5-6 members. The most important criteria is one can drive and sustain the heat of racing. On an average, it is an endurance race so going at max capacity is advantageous but not always beneficial. The driver will not drive more than 3 hours due to fatigue and possibly because of fueling. Usually a 3 hour jaunt twice by each driver for 4 drivers is an ideal way to race a 24 hours endurance. But given our lack of experience, time on the wheel will be less than that.

Other than that at least we can get together and have a blast. May be get to do some time drills before we actually take part in the competition.

Let us discuss this in details and see if we can get for some third party sponsors for this event.

Who here would like to get a GM car together for a run at LeMons?

I would, but probably could only do races east of the Mississippi.

This thread is for any comments or ideas, no matter how crazy or unrealistic. We are just in the talking stages/dreaming stages now, BUT...we can make this a reality if we want to.

Thinking of perhaps running a J body Cavalier...but would be open to other choices. Although we may lose dave87rs as a forum member if the Cavalier is chosen for the People's Curse and destroyed! (just kidding Dave, know your love for Cavi's...)

I haven't been over their complete rules and history, but my first thoughts on an interesting beater were to procure a J or N body and put a 3.8 liter supercharged drivetrain into the rear.... essentially a Fiero with better suspension. Be nice to make it a manual. Of course, I'm not married to the idea... but I'm sure most ideas here are going to have FWD vs RWD or small vs big controversy.

It seems that getting accepted it somewhat hard, and they recommend a "theme". Though a C&G theme is a good start, I would think a bit more of a gimmick might be needed.

Just to give a heads up - we do not need any racing experience, nor we need any NASCAR-esque license. If the car is seized, we may end up paying about $1,000 at the most per person. We are looking for 5-6 members. The most important criteria is one can drive and sustain the heat of racing. On an average, it is an endurance race so going at max capacity is advantageous but not always beneficial. The driver will not drive more than 3 hours due to fatigue and possibly because of fueling. Usually a 3 hour jaunt twice by each driver for 4 drivers is an ideal way to race a 24 hours endurance. But given our lack of experience, time on the wheel will be less than that.

While not the fittest person here, I can be very good endure-wise. Spent enough years driving around in overheated cars and trucks with the heater on during the worst part of the summer. Might be a good motivation to lose some weight.

What do mean by "if the car is seized"? I realize that the LeMons people reserve the right to destroy any car, so it seems to me that any resources put into the car are a write-off once a race is started.

Of course, then there are the other costs... a certified helmet and racesuit... I'm sure nobody really wants to share that stuff... even if we could... I've not gone out and purchased a helmet because its such a PITA to find one big enough for the large lump on my shoulders.

I'm thinking costs will more likely be closer to $2000 per participant considering travel, lodging, eating, racewear and safety equipment for the car, as quite a bit of car upgrades are in the name of safety.

This is a good site to get some cheap and good accessories.

Chris can get a RV which we can use as our pit vehicle to reduce the cost of accommodations, etc. And since these races are in hotter climates, there is no better time than BBQing.

Yes we can definitely look into J or N bodies. Possibly an old F body would not hurt either. The sleeper will be a W body with some modifications to the suspension especially.

W-body 3800 FTW.

Where does this take place at again?

I'd be more than happy to donate some spare time to finding a car to take 'round the course. Just tell me the budget.

I'd be more than happy to donate some spare time to finding a car to take 'round the course. Just tell me the budget.

Do you happen to still have a certain Firebird hanging around?

Do you happen to still have a certain Firebird hanging around?

Why yes I do. The front clip's not all there, the doghouse is shot, and it has a broken tie rod end on the driver's side, but the engine did run after the wreck.

Why yes I do. The front clip's not all there, the doghouse is shot, and it has a broken tie rod end on the driver's side, but the engine did run after the wreck.

Sounds like it could be a potential race car after a little work with the BF Hammer and some parts. Tie rods are easy to fix.

$500 + value of unnecessary parts removed and sold on eBay.

Sounds like fun...where is this?

Varies. There are 10 or so different races over the course of the year, most in the west. There is one in CT coming up.

pinky_brain1253891951.gif

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

If you guys are up for it, I think Z06 and I may also be. Glad to see a response.

Whiteknight, What do you want for the Bird?

Thinking a manual tranny car would be better but...

hmmm.

Chris

+1

Beat to $h! Regal GS with a good engine and suspension!

EDIT

Like this: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-c...QAdIdZ162200573

That does look like a good one. It'd be nice to find one supercharged, of course. Sucks, as I saw a beat but running supercharged Riv on CL a while back for a mere $500.

Looking at the cars that finished the recent race, and nobody had a 4th gen F-body, which tells me they are hard to squeeze under the $500 limit. Desiring light weight, RWD and the possibility of a stick, I wonder if an S10 is a possible candidate? They are cheap and with a 3800 or V8 engine swap are quick. Plus the suspension is G-body based.

66, yeah a manual would be better, of course this is an endurance race... all that shifting in the MR2 video looked like it got old after 3~4 hours. Guaranteed that Buick driver staying ahead of him for a while was not nearly breaking a sweat.

Akk...the first race is here. Maybe I could enter my sister's 500SEL. With all it's weight, I could shove anyone out of my way... :)

Whiteknight, What do you want for the Bird?

Standard price is $500, but for C&G members, I'll reduce that to $350.

Just, please, get it out of my driveway. :P

So...more thoughts please.

I am getting together with the VW TDI club, the MINI Club, the Buckeye Miata Club, and the SCCA guys this weekend. Am going to see if anyone else is interested.

What kind of car would you guys really like to run, and who is really interested???

PLEASE, let's keep the discussion going!

Chris

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor