Toaster Ovens

We've never had a toaster oven and I didn't feel like I was missing much. However teh place I work at has a B&D Toast-R-Oven (must be a few years old) that I use every day since I began work. Love being able to reheat pizza, toast a sandwich etc. VS a microwave.

I like their oven because in addition to temp settings, a timer, and toast darkness dials, there's a button to press for toasting, and it shuts off as soon as you open the door.

So now I want one. The question is what to get? Browsing online shows lots of mixed reviews. For these things. It seems a lot of B&D products get bad reviews (catch fire, die, toast unevenly. etc.).

There's this oven Proctor-Silex 6 Slice Toaster Oven, 31120.

http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-31120-...7685&sr=1-1

Amazon labels it as a pizza oven, and the reviews seem to correspond. Wal Mart labels it a toaster oven Target doesn't carry it. (Edit) Amazon also lists the same one as a toaster oven so whatever.

Anyway what is unique about this one is that both sites have a good chunk of reviews and rate it highly. All other models seem to be a mixed bag.

There's also this one: Black & Decker - Toast-R-Oven TRO4070

Wal Mart's reviews seem positive. Amazon and Target don't carry it. However www.consumeraffairs.com has some complaints about it (there's no listing for the Proctor).

I can't find other reviews for it.

There was also this: Cuisinart TOB-195 Exact Heat Toaster Oven Broiler

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-TOB-195-To...1068&sr=1-4

Which seems nice but (a lot) more expensive than I was planning on going with. The other two are more my price range.

Anyway, has anyone bought a toaster oven recently or have any advice/suggestions on any of these or an alternative. I listed that last one, but really I'm looking at $50 or under. I'm not looking to cook a chicken in it...we have other things for that. Just wanna toast my sammich dammit. :P

I have bee-you-ti-full, compact toaster oven available, NEVER used. Comes with booklet of instruction. All over chrome, sweet like new baby in and out. Born in early 1970s in AHH-merika. Will outlast any oven overpriced jobs you may be considering looking around.

For you, I make good deal really.

If you can find a toaster oven in your price range with the convection option, go for it. Learn to use the convection part, cooks like a toaster oven but at microwave speeds.

Edit: If you like that one on Costco.com and don't have a membership. Send me the money, I'll buy it for you and have it shipped.

Move close to a Quiznos.

Mm mm mm mm mm... toasty! ;-)

My GF just got a kick-ass convection toaster oven, but I haven't used it. I've heard that once you go convection, you never go back.

I usually just use my oven or the slot toaster... my kitchen is too small to keep a toaster oven set up and ready to use.

Funny how an appliance you never needed suddenly becomes a necessary part of the collection. Makes you wonder what you are missing without a juicer, bread maker and a George Foreman grill, huh? ;-)

If you can find a toaster oven in your price range with the convection option, go for it. Learn to use the convection part, cooks like a toaster oven but at microwave speeds.

Edit: If you like that one on Costco.com and don't have a membership. Send me the money, I'll buy it for you and have it shipped.

What he said. Do with the B &D.

Krups is a good choice too....

Funny how an appliance you never needed suddenly becomes a necessary part of the collection. Makes you wonder what you are missing without a juicer, bread maker and a George Foreman grill, huh? ;-)

Juicer and bread maker are nice to have, but not necesarry. George Foreman never gets used...my appliance I couldn't live w/o is the deep fat frier

I've never used a toaster oven before though...is it really any better than anything else?

Move close to a Quiznos.

Mm mm mm mm mm... toasty! ;-)

My GF just got a kick-ass convection toaster oven, but I haven't used it. I've heard that once you go convection, you never go back.

I usually just use my oven or the slot toaster... my kitchen is too small to keep a toaster oven set up and ready to use.

Don't have a juicer. Do have a bread maker but it rarely gets used. I have an older model George Foreman grill that gets used all the time though. Also have a Ronco Rotisserie that we use. not as much as the grill but a fair amount. great for whole chicken and pork tenderloin.

Juicer and bread maker are nice to have, but not necesarry. George Foreman never gets used...my appliance I couldn't live w/o is the deep fat frier

I've never used a toaster oven before though...is it really any better than anything else?

Well I hear that with a toaster oven that has convection it can pretty much replace your traditional oven as long as what you want to cook fits.

For purely reheating food like pizza, calzones, and toasting sandwiches it kicks the crap out of the microwave. That alone makes me want one.

For purely reheating food like pizza, calzones, and toasting sandwiches it kicks the crap out of the microwave. That alone makes me want one.

Oh, well, a microwave is slowly becoming, IMHO, the worst appliance even invented. Its for people who like their food incinerated in spots and frozen solid in spots, with no taste left whatsoever.

Beyond the basics... reheating soup... a microwave is useless.

Yet I still use the thing. Damn you microwave for your convenience!!!!

Oh, well, a microwave is slowly becoming, IMHO, the worst appliance even invented. Its for people who like their food incinerated in spots and frozen solid in spots, with no taste left whatsoever.

So true....

I use my magic bullet quite a bit too.....

I almost never use my microwave. About the only things it's good for are cooking bacon and melting butter or chocolate for baking.

I don't even boil water with it.

I almost never use my microwave. About the only things it's good for are cooking bacon and melting butter or chocolate for baking.

I don't even boil water with it.

My microwave has become my defroster. I love that damn thing just because it eliminated the hassle of getting home and realizing I forgot to take the meat out of the freezer.