Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gm4life

The great tire debate... UPDATE 2 w/Photos and Mini Review!

69 posts in this topic

Well after only 29,000 miles with the factory Good Year Eagle RS-A's the Bonneville is in need of some new tires. I have two options that won't break the bank, and I will post both of them. Having said that I am open to suggestions, the tires must be 17 inch P235/55 high performance (or better) all season tires, with a speeding rating of H *130 mph* (or higher). I am looking to spend no MORE than $125 a tire, and am willing to drive to a larger city for example Madison, Quad Cities or Cedar Rapids, for tires. I do refuse to go to Chicago. Anyways the options...

<i>**I also would prefer something with a 40,000 mile or more warrenty**</i>

Option I

<a href="http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catalog/car-suv-van/catalogo_desc.page?uri=/pirellityre/en_US/browser/xml/catalog/car-suv-van/CAR_P0_Nero_ALLSEAS.xml&vehicleType=CAR-SUV-VAN" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season High Performance Tires</a>

Total: $424.00 (on car)

Option II

<a href="http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/overview/advantage-t-a/4418.html?WT.si_n=TSV&WT.si_x=6" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">BFGoodrich Advantage T/A All Season High Performance Tires</a>

Total: $478.12 (on car)

Note: I have had BFGoodrich on my 1990 GP as OEM tires and they were great, having said that I can't seen paying more for a less expensive set of tires (according to Tirerack anyway). The Pirelli's have less of a warrenty but are higher performance, more expensive and cost less, also I would drive to Madison to have them put on. Anyway advice, tips or suggestions are welcome. I am leaning toward the Pirelli's as they have good reviews and cost less... Even though I never have had any experince with them.

Admins, sorry please feel free to move this, if it belongs in another section.

Edited by gm4life

I have pretty similar Pirellis (PZero Nero M+S) on the GTO, and they're great. The stock wheels, which go on pretty soon, still have the crappy BFG KDWS tires on them. There is absolutely no comparison. I would expect the Pirellis would kick the crap out of the BFG's, but at the same time they seem like overkill on a Bonneville.

What about Goodyear TripleTreads? We replaced RS-As on the Alero with those and there's a huge improvement.

I can only vouch for BF Goodrich. I have gotten long service life from this brand. Just as good as Michelins, and for less money. In fact, I remember Michelins squealing a little bit in cloverleaf type ramps, whereas the BF Goodrich tires were quiet. I'm sure that last issue had to do with the tread design, but I like(d) the BF Goodrich tires I've owned.

I have pretty similar Pirellis (PZero Nero M+S) on the GTO, and they're great. The stock wheels, which go on pretty soon, still have the crappy BFG KDWS tires on them. There is absolutely no comparison. I would expect the Pirellis would kick the crap out of the BFG's, but at the same time they seem like overkill on a Bonneville.

What about Goodyear TripleTreads? We replaced RS-As on the Alero with those and there's a huge improvement.

They are more money... So I am still leaning towards the Pirellis and yes they may seem like overkill but I freaking love my car. :AH-HA_wink:

We have General Altimax HP tires on the 5er, and they're inexpensive, quiet, and comfortable. General is now owned by Continental, and ours were made in France.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

H-Rated, 440 treadwear, 55K mile warranty, $109/ea

You can get them from TireRack and have them installed locally.

Thanks great suggestion! I just don't know of any place locally that does the installation for Tirerack.

Edited by gm4life

I can only vouch for BF Goodrich. I have gotten long service life from this brand. Just as good as Michelins, and for less money. In fact, I remember Michelins squealing a little bit in cloverleaf type ramps, whereas the BF Goodrich tires were quiet. I'm sure that last issue had to do with the tread design, but I like(d) the BF Goodrich tires I've owned.

Thanks for the advice, so have I. I just need to make up my mind.

Consumer Reports has their annual tire issue out now.

Oddly enough, their top rated tire was Michelin in all categories i think. I have Michelin Hydroedge on the Aztek and they won their category. I like the Hydroedge, although the tread does not seem aggressive, they ride well, are quiet, and are pretty good in the wet.

Your dilemma was similar to mine a few years ago with my 99 SHO. I had RS-A's (not that great of a tire BTW) on my SHO and needed to replace them. Although, i had about 65k miles on my RS-A's. Kind of curious how you only got 30k out of yours. RS-A's get loud, ride hard. They get decent mpg, but they also wear well in my experience. They were only average in wet and snow and in dry in my experience. Yet so many cars have them OEM. Perhaps the mfrs got deals on them as a speed rated cheap tire.

I replaced the RS-A's on my SHO with Conti Extreme Contacts. Those were quieter, better in the wet. They handled differently too. They seemed like a better tire and were less expensive. They were like 110 a tire or something and were UHP all season. CR rated them fairly high.

I have heard the latest Goodyear triple treads and assurance are great tires. CR's ratings backed them up.

My HydroEdges are performing well on the Aztek although we know that vehicle does not certainly need tires like that.

The Pirelli P6's I have had on the 500 and Taurus X are good tires. A bit stiff and a tiny bit loud, but they are a quality tire. Surprisingly good in snow and wet.

I suggest at least reading the CR article this month and looking at all the tires they rated.

Oddly enough, their top rated tire was Michelin in all categories i think.

although the tread does not seem aggressive, they ride well, are quiet, and are pretty good in the wet.

I usually replace OEM with Michelins once or twice, and then go to a different price point (BF Goodrich, though a great value, actually).

Both of my cars had Goodyears as OEM. The Goodyears on the new car appear to be a fairly impressive tire, with a nice tread design and good balance of ride and handling.

We just got a set of Michelins from Costco that we're very happy with. The CRV rides like a whole new car now.

We just got a set of Michelins from Costco that we're very happy with. The CRV rides like a whole new car now.

Good to know but they are so expensive. The only way I am going with Michelins is if they have a SALE.

Wow! Does the Bonneville require tires made of gold or something!? They are $100 more expensive than what I paid for the CRV on the same model tire!

Thanks great suggestion! I just don't know of any place locally that does the installation for Tirerack.

You can locate the installation service providers near you on Tirerack website.

I don't usually recommend Walmart for anything, but since you'd be helping local labor....

Walmart will install tires purchased from Tirerack.

If you do end up buying the tires through tirerack, could you buy them through the link on the front page so C&G gets creedit for it?

I have heard the latest Goodyear triple treads and assurance are great tires. CR's ratings backed them up.

Considering the cost, the TripleTreds last a LONG time... 80K warranteed (and one of mine hit 110K), and while the old AquaTreds degraded quickly with wear, the TripleTreds performed well to the very end for me. This needs to be factored in if you are planning on keeping the car/tire combo for a while.

How about Cooper Tires? daves87rs recommended them to me for the wife's G6 (b/c her Hankook - aka Hancrap - tires are going to be put onto the AURA before I return the lease next month). I'm waiting to hear back from two local Cooper tire installers/dealers with price quotes before I go ahead and do this.

There's two brand of Cooper tires that come up when I searched for a 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SLE:

CS4 Touring H/V Rated 235/55R17 99 V (150 MPH rating) link

Zeon Sport A/S 235/55ZR17 99 W (169 MPH rating) link

You'd have to search for a Cooper tire distributor in your area though dealer locator link

Good to know but they are so expensive. The only way I am going with Michelins is if they have a SALE.

mine were less than 600 mtd bal at discount tire.

Wow! Does the Bonneville require tires made of gold or something!? They are $100 more expensive than what I paid for the CRV on the same model tire!

Well, it is a very special car to me. It was my dream car in since 1990 when I got my GP but couldn't swing a new '91 SSE.

Edited by gm4life

I don't usually recommend Walmart for anything, but since you'd be helping local labor....

Walmart will install tires purchased from Tirerack.

If you do end up buying the tires through tirerack, could you buy them through the link on the front page so C&G gets creedit for it?

Glad too!

Well, it is a very special car to me. It was my dream car in since 1990 when I got my GP but couldn't swing a new '91 SSE.

Don't get me wrong. I like the Bonneville also... I just would have heart failure putting tires on it.

How about Cooper Tires? daves87rs recommended them to me for the wife's G6 (b/c her Hankook - aka Hancrap - tires are going to be put onto the AURA before I return the lease next month). I'm waiting to hear back from two local Cooper tire installers/dealers with price quotes before I go ahead and do this.

There's two brand of Cooper tires that come up when I searched for a 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SLE:

CS4 Touring H/V Rated 235/55R17 99 V (150 MPH rating) link

Zeon Sport A/S 235/55ZR17 99 W (169 MPH rating) link

You'd have to search for a Cooper tire distributor in your area though dealer locator link

+1

What he said.

Adding my tire "two cents"

P Zeros ='s quicker tire replacement. They handle great, but wear out quick.....

BFG- :cheers: Good, solid tires with some bite. Won't handle as well as the P zeros (close), but will last much longer. Much better for everyday driving......

Avoid- Hanook, Kumno, Yokos. These tires tend to be very hit or miss.

Like: Coopers (best bang for buck), Goodyears (tripletreads), most Michelin (or family) tires.

You have a Sam's club nearby?

Adding my tire "two cents"

P Zeros ='s quicker tire replacement. They handle great, but wear out quick.....

BFG- :cheers: Good, solid tires with some bite. Won't handle as well as the P zeros (close), but will last much longer. Much better for everyday driving......

Avoid- Hanook, Kumno, Yokos. These tires tend to be very hit or miss.

Like: Coopers (best bang for buck), Goodyears (tripletreads), most Michelin (or family) tires.

You have a Sam's club nearby?

Yes and the price on the BFG's is from Sams.

Thanks for the wear out quick comment, quicker than say 35,000 or 40,000 miles?

Edited by gm4life

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0