It's just a pontiac. Not really a loss.

I do believe we have a candidate for this year's Darwin Award.

I concur.

And I wonder, just like with a lot of things related, how MANY people do such things every single day..."what's a jack point? just put the jack under the edge and pump..."

You'd think the guy would've figured out after the plastic started warping that maybe the jack was in the wrong spot?

unfortunately no, i had to stop and help a family change a tire once, the dad ( i'll assume ) was attempting to lift the vehicle with the jack via rocker panel. it was a little nissan sentra, so i hastily retrieved the jack from my 1500 and lifted the car up off the ground. the guy had pulled off into the dirt and the oem jack was fully extended and the car still wasnt off the ground. people seldom think about putting the jack on the frame. and even though the impala has a bumper jack... uh, no forget that, i'm still going to jack her up via frame.

Sadly, I've nearly pulled the same stunt in my car. Had to change a tire, so I got out the jack and place it underneath the jack point...or at least I could've sworn it was underneath the jack point(BMW jack points, for my e39 anyway, are molded into the rocker panel)...Started jacking and it started going up fine, then the jack shot out from underneath the car, dropping the car to the ground, and leaving a nice deformation on the underside of the rocker panel. Not noticeable unless you get underneath it, but it was a stupid situation with a crummy outcome (that could've ended much worse) that I learned a lesson from.