Buick Excelle Hatch - The big picture!

wildcat

"Buick Excelle Hatch - The big picture!"

China Car Times, Nov. 24, 2009

"The Buick Excelle hatch is some serious direct competition to the recently launched VW Golf, and with it being available in hatchback and sedan form, GM might be able to keep up the fight against its largest competitor in the PRC."

For the complete story, including 13 pictures, click here.

It's OK I guess, I think it looks too much like a Mazda 3 around the rear quarters. I hope the sedan has the sporty wheels and interior trim of this hatchback when we get it. What is a "six speed CVT"?

Well if it is going to have any Mazda 3 it is best to have the rear quarters. I am not a fan of the Buick waterfall grill but I will take it any day over the Mazda 3 grin.

It is hard to make a 5 door hatch sporty and cool looking. I think they have done the best with the class they have. You make it too cool looking then nothing fits inside.

The real sporty needs always goes to the 3 door.

I still think that the new generation Opel Astra 3-door and 5-door should be available in the U.S. as the Pontiac LeMans. Buick would get the sedan version ("Centieme"), which would be geared toward providing a luxury driving experience. Pontiac's hatchback versions would be geared toward a sportier driving experience.

Of course, I think the Insignia sedan should have been a Pontiac (Grand Prix) too and we know that's not going to happen.

Oh well...

Edited by cire

I would assume it would be an automatic sedan only for NA. I just can't see Buick branded compact hatchbacks happening in NA..

That'd be my bet as well.

Looking at the Buick sedan's front in the spy pics, it appears to have nothing more than different bumper and headlights (the Astra has a more curved shape while the Buick has larger looking units). Rear end is another deal, as an Astra sedan has not been shown yet.

That'd be my bet as well.

Looking at the Buick sedan's front in the spy pics, it appears to have nothing more than different bumper and headlights (the Astra has a more curved shape while the Buick has larger looking units). Rear end is another deal, as an Astra sedan has not been shown yet.

There are greater chances of us seeing more than just a sedan and just a Automatic. With this being a world car Buick can build these in smaller numbers here and still sell them at a profit. Lets face it if the Regal was not sold in China and Europe with the 6 speed man we would not see it here for 5% of sales. The numbers overseas make it possible to make that 5% happy.

Look at it this way they can take a chance on a different body style here and if it fails it continues to sell in the overseas markets it is already strong in. Too few know or understand [people not on this web site] that now GM is selling pretty much the same car world wide we can now get those cars that we could not get before because the American market alone could not support them. Now with the help of strong sales in other markets we will see the OPC Regal, manual transmissions and the odd hatch.

Now if they could do the same with the Diesels. The issue is the cost to emissions approve them until the average American understand these are not the Olds Diesels of the past.

i'd buy one if it had enough hp and a six speed manual. its more dynamic than the Golf. 3 door and 5 door ASTRA should be made available in this country. end of story.

this is one of the products that can REDEFINE what GM means to a lot of people.

piggybacking on the Regal, the ASTRA and the regal could be a nice one two sledgehammer punch that brings a new demographic back to Buick, and GM.

if they bring this hatch here i can honestly tell you two of my top three within reach new car choices in the next 1-2 years when i can buy would be the Astra and Regal. the ecoboost fusion would be the other.

i'd buy one if it had enough hp and a six speed manual. its more dynamic than the Golf. 3 door and 5 door ASTRA should be made available in this country. end of story.

this is one of the products that can REDEFINE what GM means to a lot of people.

piggybacking on the Regal, the ASTRA and the regal could be a nice one two sledgehammer punch that brings a new demographic back to Buick, and GM.

if they bring this hatch here i can honestly tell you two of my top three within reach new car choices in the next 1-2 years when i can buy would be the Astra and Regal. the ecoboost fusion would be the other.

The hatch has been a hard sell to American car buyers but a Buick that is a real Euro car and targeted at the Euro car buyers in this country should sell. In time I would hope the hatch would catch on with other buyers. Nothing more of a pain is a small car with a small trunk opening that will not let you put a square box in it.

I just think it would be nice if Buick offered the three-door Astra coupe in the U.S.

Buick needs to do a 3 door that could compete with the Mini. That would give them an upscale car with all the goodies like a good leather interior and electronic. Also it needs a more sporting nature. This is the kind of car Chevy and Cadillac can not sell. To expensive for one and not the image of the other.

Also they should not sell a stripped down version. Leave that market to Chevy. In other words no steel wheels.

Edited by hyperv6

I'm still really hoping that if they bring the hatches over they get the sedan's front end. I think it looks more like the rest of the lineup. The new Regal fits in better than this IMHO.

Then again, maybe having the hatches different, and a little sportier would be a good thing...

Edited by PONTIAC06

• 2 weeks later...