Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Camino LS6

Hey White Knight

39 posts in this topic

That actually would be a very decent solid project car I think.

The perfect start of that ten year project I was talking about.

Chris

I like it, especially the 4-speed. I only wish it were closer ...

Edited by whiteknight

Perhaps I will. At the moment, I'm trying to sell the Buick back to its previous owner so let's see how that goes shall we?

Perhaps I will. At the moment, I'm trying to sell the Buick back to its previous owner so let's see how that goes shall we?

Sixty Eight JR. :yikes:

You're beginning to go through cars as quick as him lol.

I have a feeling his offer will include three words: '85 Trans Am.

And maybe I'll take him up on it. I don't know. If it has the e-Qudrajet equipped 305 H.O., I'm walking. 305 TPI third-gens only for me. I know first hand how much of a mess any GM V8 with an e-Qudrajet can be and I'll be avoiding them at all costs.

Edited by whiteknight

So what's wrong with the Buick now? Or has it been reliable and you're tired of such a silly thing as reliability in a daily driver?

Oh it's been great, but I've come to discover its not a long-distance car. I'm going to try for a job in London 30 minutes away and eventually relocate there afterward (provided I don't investigate Pittsburgh), but I'm going to need a car worthy of interstate conditions regardless. The Buick isn't. The 307 really shows that the main problem lies in how the differential is geared (it's geared low for instantaneous acceleration with little to no top speed whatsoever which keeps the engine wound at really high rpms at about 65 mph; interstate conditions could cause an engine failure again due to the constant high revs, which is what I'm starting to believe is actually what killed the 350). The 350 masked a lot of the problem until it went ka-put. Now you can really tell it was built specifically for the 383 stroker that was in the car before I traded for it.

In all honesty, I'm not serious about selling it, I'm just wondering if that guy was really serious about wanting it back a few weeks ago. I might also throw it out on Craigslist if not, just to see what will happen.

Edited by whiteknight

Here we go, this should be familiar by now:

11359093_1.jpg

It CAN cruise on the highway without blowing up. ;)

WTF good is a car that can't cruise on the highway?

It can cruise on any back road or any road with a legal 55 mph speed limit with great ease. Above 65 mph, though, it's topped out. Going 70 is like someone punching your sainted mother in the vagina -- it's all around painful for you to watch and listen to.

I can find a way to blow up an Accord, too. Trust me on that.

Well with your luck I'm sure you could find an Accord that would somehow have something catastrophically wrong with. :P

However, Accord in decent shape won't blow up going 65, then again neither will a Corolla, a Cavalier, or even a Shadow.

An Accord won't blow up going 65, then again neither will a Corolla or even a Shadow.

But what are the chances of me buying one? Even if I am thinking rationally?

There ya go.

Nope, much better to own a rusting hulk or a car with a grenading engine or that can't do 65 as a daily driver.

Naturally one of those practical daily driver's aren't to your liking,s o instead look at say, a V6 Firebird? Cheaper and probably better cared for than Trans Ams in your price range.

Nope, much better to own a rusting hulk or a car with a grenading engine or that can't do 65 as a daily driver.

What can I say? I like quirky cars that aren't worth a damn.

Anyway, I'm selling the Buick soon. I have my sights set on something I just found.

Edited by whiteknight

Since you probably won't see this part while you're replying:

Naturally one of those practical daily driver's aren't to your liking,s o instead look at say, a V6 Firebird? Cheaper and probably better cared for than Trans Ams in your price range.

Since you probably won't see this part while you're replying:

Not so fast, slim. I had one of those too, remember? It wasn't exactly without it's faults and foibles either. Mechanically it was good, but it had a lot of cosmetic and electrical defects. Overall, I spent some cash lining it back out and it still wasn't finished before it was totaled (the other window was still inoperable and it was going to need bodywork and paint).

The truth of the matter is that fourth-gen V6 Firebirds are usually treated just as rough as their V8 counterparts, if not worse. Remember they sold far more V6s to teenagers itching to hot rod than they did V8 Trans Ams. Grandmas don't exactly buy V6 pony cars like they used to either.

Not only that, it wouldn't add up trading a solid, old V8-powered Grand National clone to something with a V6.

Edited by whiteknight

I'd vouch for the V6 Firebird/Camaro if possible. Just find one that's not terribly beat up. You had a few neat ideas for your previous one before it got smashed up by GI Joke.

Edited by Captainbooyah

Good one. Will be interesting how the continuing quest for a reliable car goes.

I'd vouch for the V6 Firebird/Camaro if possible. Just find one that's not terribly beat up. You had a few neat ideas for your previous before it got slammed up by GI Joke.

I'd go the V6 Fourth-Gen Firebird route only if:

a.) I sell the Buick for a very firm going price of $3,500. I will slap a $4,000OBO asking price on it to achieve that goal since this car has had a lot of work put into it over the course of its life and does attract attention. It isn't a rust bucket. Just a nice Grand National clone that needs some minor finishing touches.

b.) The Firebird is in the $2,500 and under range. This is because I have my sights set on a car here in KY that has a $1,500OBO asking price. I want some cash left over to pick it up. I just have to make sure there isn't a zero missing off of the asking price; it seems to be nice. Here's the car: http://owensboro.craigslist.org/cto/1487404574.html

c.) Said Firebird isn't worn out.

d.) Said Firebird has the 3800 V6. I won't set foot in a 3400-powered car unless maybe if it lets me row my own gears.

I would be happy to have one, of course. I had great luck out of mine despite the issues it did have. I'm just not going to trade the Buick for one.

Edited by whiteknight

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0