Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM Interiors- Before and After

MyerShift

Last night, I was over looking around at the Cadillac/Chevrolet dealership in Coldwater, and there was a used Seville SLS next to a used STS V6. It is just unbelieveable how far GM's interiors have come in just one generation of its products. Those who haven't compared the then and nows obviously need to take this little factor into consideration. However, I would prefer real aluminum trim in the top level STS's over the real would. The metal looks more modern (to me, at least). Might have done a poll, but don't know how yet, or didn't notice. So, what do you think?

Seville Interior

Posted Image

STS Interior

Posted Image

I'm not sure how GM "botched" the STS. It's just understated and conservative. There isn't anything wrong with it, it's just not as flashy as an Audi.

I only drove a Seville STS as a loaner while the CTS was in for service. My biggest gripe is with that throw pillow they call an airbag.

:blink: I do appreaciate how your posting this has shown all this interior buzz is subject to speculative opinion only. I can draw back to the 80's for ones I appreaciate as well. I can only finish my post by saying

"ah ! look at all the nice variations of interior possibilities, I like them all.......because they do not look the same"

Sorry. I just would prefer a more attractive design over more squoshy materials. I mean, it's sort of like having an ugly person that is beautiful within versus a more attractive face with less of a personality. For something costing as much as an automobile, I would prefer a pretty face with a decent personality over a marvelous personality combined with ugliness.

:blink: I do appreaciate how your posting this has shown all this interior buzz is subject to speculative opinion only.  I can draw back to the 80's for ones I appreaciate as well. I can only finish my post by saying

"ah ! look at all the nice variations of interior possibilities, I like them all.......because they do not look the same"

How true!

When I sit behind the wheel of this:

Posted Image

I feel like I'm sitting at the helm of the starship Enterprise.

I wouldn't say flashy...I'd say cluttered, but that's just me. I've always foudn Audi interiors too be a little too mechanical/console-ish. BMW interiors are probably on the more clean side, but the newer interiors, dash and center console anyways don't do it that much for me. I don't care for MB interiors. Though I love the Audi A8 interior and the Lexus SC interior as well. Oh and the XLR interior is nice too.

...decent-looking. In person, all the GM interiors with the exception of the new GMT-900s, SAAB Epsilons, Cadillac XLR and maybe one other vehicle/program all suffer from the same shortcoming: hard, poorly-grained plastic all over the dash. Even the Lucerne has this (yes, O.C. you were indeed right; my apologies).

The brands with the best interiors across the board were: Acura, AUDI, Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Mercedes-Benz and Mazda (excluding all custom and super-luxury marques).

Honorable mentions to specific vehicles/programs NOT included in these brands:

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan/Lincoln Zephyr

Ford Five Hundred

Mercury Montego

Cadillac XLR

Subaru B9 Tribeca

VW Tourag

VW Phaeton

The above list is the result of hands-on impressions at LAIAS and the Indianapolis auto shows.

When I sit behind the wheel of this:

Posted Image

I feel like I'm sitting at the helm of the starship Enterprise.

Um... okay? :blink:

Anyways, I'm also one that doesn't quite get how GM's interiors have drastically improved, design wise. As far as I'm concerned, most all look so goddamn similar that it's depressing. I think they all have the same layout. How is that improvement? I'm sorry, but other than materials/fit/finish/etc, GM's interiors have downgraded, IMO. I'd much rather have distintive and interesting interiors than similar and bland ones... So shoot me. :rolleyes:

Let's just put it this way... GM interior design is alot more similar than it was just in 2000.

Such is sort of true. Compare amongst the G-bodies of the late-90s/2000 and the only ones similar would be the Seville/DeVille and Park Avenue/LeSabre.

:unsure: Their different ?

The improvements are drastic. Everything in the Lucerne is a million times more fluid and modern than that clunky Lesabre. That said, the Lucerne has some ways to go before being really accepted in the 30k crowd. The Avalon I sat in at LAIAS had superior materials and a more interesting design. The rest of the 30k crowd has superior materials and superior design quality to the Lucerne's GM copyrighted dash.

the Lucerne's plastic is still not that good (yes I've sat in it) and even the new tahoe's (upon visual inspection) is not top drawer yet. The Tahoe is a HUGE upgrade, but the upgrade has been overstated in the press a bit. The Lucerne's is not special at all. They still could stand to improve the Lucerne's plastic.

When I sit behind this, I think "this is one of the most interesting and appealing designs in the mid-size lux arena".

To which I replied, "Yea...but they could use some wood here...and here...aaaaaand...HERE!"

It's a good design, just too monochromatic.*

*Razoredge should click here for a definition of the Big Word.

Edited by Croc

the Lucerne's plastic is still not that good (yes I've sat in it) and even the new tahoe's (upon visual inspection) is not top drawer yet.  The Tahoe is a HUGE upgrade, but the upgrade has been overstated in the press a bit.  The Lucerne's is not special at all.  They still could stand to improve the Lucerne's plastic.

Agreed. I think the Tahoe is among the closest GM has gotten (can't remember which was the GM car that felt the best, except maybe the Sport Combi over at Saab, maybe Croc can help me on that one). The Lucerne's plastic is pretty inexcusable for it's class. There were many many cars that disappointed me however, and some that really impressed me, like Ford's Fusion and 500. Those dash plastics have actually gotten to a really good place over at Ford. For Lucerne and Tahoe to have harder dash's than a midline Ford is not so good. That said, the Tahoe is an incredibly sweet car in every other respect, that engine would be the kill that would draw me in.

The best GM interior was the SportCombi, without a doubt. While the 9-3 is almost the same, there were some special touches on the SportCombi that really made it stand out, like the way the cargo area houses the spare tire and jack. The setup was very impressive.

Turbo, read my post up top on my overall impressions on interiors for the industry.

To which I replied, "Yea...but they could use some wood here...and here...aaaaaand...HERE!"

It's a good design, just too monochromatic.*

*Razoredge should click here for a definition of the Big Word.

yes. you liked the A8 better; I think that's one gorgeous. I don't have a problem with monochromatic design one bit. I think it's great in it's class.

Posted Image

now if this went into production would put Cadillac into shame

If this went into production, I'd say that Cadillac's future is looking brighter then ever. Just imagine what GM's top of the line luxury interiors would look like if the Enclave production interior looked like that.

I agree with people who think the Seville's interior was pretty good. The only problem with it is that it had some cheaper materials and huge gaps.. I would know since I've sat in dozens of Seville interiors.

The STS interior.. although cool and full of electronic goodies.. just doesn't feel as luxurious as it should be. I sat in one about a month ago and it just doesn't feel right in some places. It belongs in a cheaper car.

Hopefully when the refresh of the STS comes around, GM will Lutzify it's interior a little more to make it more of a competitor.

the new 9-5 with it's corporate switchgear has lost presence and quality, imo. Again, GM strikes with thier cost-cutting efforts, without realizing the $15 they save per car really really hurt the image of these sporting Euro cars. They don't even have the same quality as those in the 9-3 range, they actually feel cheaper. WTH, GM? Will you ever learn? Stop killing the distinctive qualities of your brands.

I look at what was the GM interior that still found a home through to 2000. They had a rather bulbous finish with panels that came together with an inseam...taking a look at a dash at what it would appear like from a profile:

.)

..) - Dash pad

.)

|

| - Control panel

|

.)

..) - Lower dash region

.)

Still, I don't think GM could have managed to get away with using the interiors designed today the same way ten years ago.

The SAAB interiors looked like the early Star Trek control panels with matte-black slab-faced mounting panels. I half expected to see metal-post toggle switches and a hazard flip-guard for fire extinguishers.

Edited by ShadowDog

I guess it's just the modernity of GM's newer interiors (on most models) that attracts me.

I liked the dash from my Buick Skyhawk. Everything was laid out in a logical manner, and, amazingly, the dash top was padded! In the 1980's, I feel that the Skyhawk had the best J-body interior. Then again, it could just be a bias :P .

Edited by MyerShift

yes. you liked the A8 better; I think that's one gorgeous. I don't have a problem with monochromatic design one bit. I think it's great in it's class.

I've sat in A6s with wood trim and two tone (tan seats, black dash)...much nicer than the black one in that photo, IMHO...the A8 has the best Audi interior currently, IMHO, but it should be, being the top-of-the-line model..

...and especially grey monochromatic...Like being in an overcast sky.  To me, the worst stylistic infraction, committed by almost every auto manufacturer.  I literally feel emotionally down when in one of these cars.

Agreed. I too feel drab after being in one of those things.

I did click the link, and it said nothing like your post.

Even if you only go by the Latin-Greek stems you can figure out the meaning has everything to do with one color...mono=one/singular, chom=color and atic is just how English forms adjectives. :rolleyes:

IMO, GM interior design has improved drastically, but a lot of the materials leave a bit to be desired.  GM has been putting more hard plastic on dashes and less of the squishy foamy material.

So true, not easy to attract new buyers when they touch the interior material of the Cobalt. It is cheap. <_< I don't know why they did that, why they can't use same material as ToyoHonda's interiors.