Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Photos: the 1992 Regal in...

Ok, I just got an oil change this a.m. at 265,391. So, here was the Regal yesterday, reliably carting me to San Francisco, less than 2 hours away.

IMG_2482.jpg

The Regal with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background, taken from the bluffs immediately to the west of the Palace of the Legion of Honor, near the Presidio. Estimated mileage: 265,240.

IMG_2466.jpg

The Coit Tower, taken past the traditional multi-story bay window from a street in North Beach's Little Italy.

IMG_2471.jpg

The Transamerica Pyramid, taken from a side street near Columbus Avenue, the main thoroughfare through Little Italy.

IMG_2472.jpg

One of the towers on the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, taken from Broadway before it slopes down to the Embarcadero, the street that winds from the base of the Bay Bridge all the way around to Fisherman's Wharf

IMG_2480.jpg

A view of the beautiful homes in Sea Cliff, the neighborhood on top of the bluffs near the Golden Gate Bridge. I seriously doubt there is anything in here with a bridge view that sells for less than $8 million but, as they say, if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

It was a nice way to spend a temperate Saturday (about 55 degrees in the city). Drove into the East Bay and took the BART train some 20 miles into the city (it goes under the bay), walked around the Embarcadero and Market Street, and then took BART back to pick up the Regal, deciding I would drive it into the city. Then:

- drove to North Beach and had spinach gnocchi with mushrooms in gorgonzola sauce for lunch

- drove around the Embarcadero, past Fisherman's Wharf, to the base of the Golden Gate, up into the Presidio, and down the Great Highway, which fronts the Pacific Ocean

- drove down to south of SFO to the waterfront to watch 747s land and take-off (saw more Airbus 340s than 747s, since it's winter and there's less passenger traffic)

- drove back over the Bay Bridge to Walnut Creek, where I went to a Saturday night church service and had a great dinner at a local dive

- drove home and went to sleep, knowing I'd run errands today

In general, going to the Bay Area is depressing because anything other than a 1 bedroom condo in a decent neighborhood (both in the city and the suburbs) is unaffordable.

Edited by trinacriabob

Great photos. SF is so photogenic. I've long had an interest w/ the area...been drawn there several times in my career...for conferences at Moscone Center a few times and for 4 job offers in SF and the Silicon Valley (San Jose, Sunnyvale), all of which I ultimately turned down because of the obscene cost of living relative to Denver and other places I like...

Thanks, Moltie. Don't get me wrong, I think San Francisco is beautiful. For my relatives from overseas, it's their #1 spot in the U.S. It's too dense - to the point I would never consider living there. For the Bay Area, the only places I like are Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill in the East Bay, though they are still expensive. I don't like the city for its density...nor Marin nor the Peninsula for their pretentiousness and prices...nor Berkeley, Oakland, Alameda for their quasi-bohemian vibe...that leaves the East Bay towns on the other side of the Caldecott Tunnel. Since I only go to SF about once a year and to Tahoe about 4 times a year, it makes no sense for me to live in California since I could just as easily do that on vacations or long weekends.

I would much rather live someplace greener all year long that has lower population density.

@ PurdueGuy, the clearance in the front is actually very small. I notice this when the tires are turned. The owner's manual has some caveats about the use of tire chains.

all of the W-body coupes seem to have that.

more importantly, SF has palm trees? I thought it got too cold there.

They are not indigenous. In fact, when they put a planted median down a portion of Market Street, the main street (diagonal) that ends at the Ferry Building/Embarcadero, some of the city's residents put up one helluva fight because it's not an indigenous plant. They lost that fight, and Market Street west of Van Ness has palm trees.

They are not indigenous. In fact, when they put a planted median down a portion of Market Street, the main street (diagonal) that ends at the Ferry Building/Embarcadero, some of the city's residents put up one helluva fight because it's not an indigenous plant. They lost that fight, and Market Street west of Van Ness has palm trees.

Interesting... one thing I wonder--how far north are there palm trees growing in the US? I've been to Sacramento a couple times, IIRC there are palm trees there also.

The palm trees, orange trees, grapefruit trees, bouganvillea and green lawns are one of the things I do like about my n. central Phoenix neighborhood..doesn't look deserty..not a cactus or sand in sight.

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

one thing I wonder--how far north are there palm trees growing in the US? I've been to Sacramento a couple times, IIRC there are palm trees there also.

The palm trees, orange trees, grapefruit trees, bouganvillea and green lawns are one of the things I do like about my n. central Phoenix neighborhood..doesn't look deserty..not a cactus or sand in sight.

I think that palm trees could be considered "reasonable" anywhere in the Central Valley, as far up as Chico or Orland. They don't look out of place in these places, which can roast in the summer and look fairly parched. On the coast, I think palm trees should start tapering off north of San Simeon.

Geez, doesn't anyone have any comments on the damn Regal and its miles? :AH-HA:

I think that palm trees could be considered "reasonable" anywhere in the Central Valley, as far up as Chico or Orland. They don't look out of place in these places, which can roast in the summer and look fairly parched. On the coast, I think palm trees should start tapering off north of San Simeon.

Looks really good..looking at the pics, hard to believe it has that many miles. Friends of mine used to have a very clean '90 in a light blue-green, had only about 140k when they traded it for a Volvo 850 estate...

Nice pics. I worked for a couple of years in "the City" when I was going to college and almost ended up working for the S.F. Public Utilities Commission after graduation.

A couple other streets where palms are notable are Delores Street in the Mission District and The Embarcadero.

My favorite area in the Bay Area is up in the North Bay in such towns as San Rafael and Santa Rosa where things aren't so densely packed in.

I think the '92 Regal 4dr I had (3800 engine and also silver) had similar miles on it, maybe more, when it croaked. Not sure, though, as the odometer quit at ~180k miles. It was a nice car in many ways, a little disappointing in others (I hated the seats, they hurt my back), but that drivetrain was terrific!

Edited by PurdueGuy

The Regal looks great. It's obviously been well cared for. How is the body? Is it pretty straight, or does it have its share of parking lot battle scars?

I must say these are great photos. I'm very tempted to make my next bike trip launch from San francisco. Lots of interesting scenery.

It would be an accomplishment for most other powertrains, but the 3800 Series engines are very stout, tough engines. I know it's not uncommon to find the later model F4 Camaros and Firebirds with that particular model engine with 220,000 miles plus.

I will say the car looks like it has lower mileage in photos, though.

Edited by whiteknight

Is it pretty straight, or does it have its share of parking lot battle scars?

I must say these are great photos.

It is generally in very good condition. I wax it twice a year (that reminds me). When you get close to it, there are some parking lot dings.

Thanks, Frank. I like recording my travels with photos and really like seeing others' travel photos here when they post them.

It is generally in very good condition. I wax it twice a year (that reminds me). When you get close to it, there are some parking lot dings.

Thanks, Frank. I like recording my travels with photos and really like seeing others' travel photos here when they post them.

there's your new career, travel photography.

!