Haiti

I checked out the MSN web page today and got a more realistic account of the earthquake in Haiti, with its magnitude of 7.0.

First, I was not aware that there was such a change in potential seismic activity from Florida (essentially nil) to a relatively nearby Caribbean island.

Regardless, the amount of devastation is mind-boggling. I was sitting there thinking about how I bitch and moan about what isn't right while people out there are trying to survive in the most deplorable conditions.

I plan to keep the Haitian earthquake victims in my prayers and will also make a small donation via one of the Catholic charities. I know that the Masses typically pass around another collection when disaster relief is needed.

So, if, in the grand scheme of things, you are able to part with a few dollars, that's great. If not, please include the Haitians in your thoughts and prayers. I know that looking through the articles and seeing pictures of Port-au-Prince in shambles were heart-wrenching, as were the New Orleans post-Katrina pictures.

I checked out the MSN web page today and got a more realistic account of the earthquake in Haiti, with its magnitude of 7.0.

First, I was not aware that there was such a change in potential seismic activity from Florida (essentially nil) to a relatively nearby Caribbean island.

The Haiti and the Carribean fault system are pretty far from Florida. The real threat here is tidal waves... but thankfully, that didn't seem to happen. Otherwise, Cuba, the gulf, Mexico and the SE US coast could be looking at Thailand-type devastation.

Regardless, the amount of devastation is mind-boggling. I was sitting there thinking about how I bitch and moan about what isn't right while people out there are trying to survive in the most deplorable conditions.

It is pretty bad devastation, but keep in mind that when the big one happens in San Fran... it will be worse... San Fran REMOVED most building code requirements after the 1906 quake to speed building... and many buildings were build on debris or backfill... with little cross bracing, stuff build between 1906 and 1950s will fall like houses of cards.

Pretty scary stuff.

This hit closer to home here as the boyfriend of my niece was en-route to Haiti with a small group conducting a mission service. Their plane touched down in a version of hell and they had no way to contact Canadian authorities or family. All anyone could do was watch, wait and hope for good news. Thankfully, everything for them is okay as they will now be conducting relief efforts.

Depending upon how you look at it, considering their reason for going in the first place, they were either in the wrong place at the wrong time; or the right place at the right time.

Reading further on BBC, you start to get a sense of the damage and lack of resources:

Andy Gallacher, BBC News, Haiti

Haiti is at a critical juncture at the moment.

I've come across two schools that have completely collapsed, you could see the bodies trapped inside - but there were no rescue teams on the ground. I haven't seen anyone in the two days I've been here.

Haitians are still digging through the rubble with their hands. The bodies are beginning to build up, both on the streets and in public spaces.

There are no coffins here, no arrangements for burials. There is no sense that the promised relief efforts have begun in earnest.

Additional information in point form:

- The Haitian Government requested a suspension of civilian flights in and out of Haiti due to lack of space for planes on the ground and a lack of fuel to enable them to leave

- Desperate for heavy lifting equipment, many survivors still trapped under rubble are losing their lives because ground crews are unable to reach them by hand

- Images of the simple shanty villages reveals a landscape that looks more like a typical landfill of construction debris with very few people able to sort through the rubble to find survivors

- Unlike a hurricane, this quake has left an already unstable water supply completely non-existent

- Facilities, such as morgues, are gathering bodies in the thousands with there being no current plan available for burial (estimates are broad with current death rates numbering between 30,000 to 50,000 and rising

- Disaster leadership is minimal as an already fragile government body is unable to direct its small amount of resources

... reading on of the desperation was heart-wrenching.

Because the world is so electronic and distant it's easy to not think about but at the same time it's a terrible human tragedy. Our Governor General is from Hati and she was crying on the news last night. The Government of Canada is going to match all civilian money donations dollar for dollar and I think I will donate some money.

No. I haven't. What did he say, more or less?

Basically that the earthquake was God's revenge on Haiti, that they had a curse on them, had it coming because of Voodoo in the 17th century. Pretty bizzaro stuff.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-PEaWUduCM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-PEaWUduCM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-PEaWUduCM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pretty much says it all about Limbaugh and Robertson.
  • Agree 1

It really is sad that in the aftermath of a real human tragedy, the good things people are doing (donations and whatnot) are overshadowed by self righteous douchebags.

it's always that way to the media... if it bleeds it leads.

• Agree 1

What's interesting is that olberman calls out people for 'inciting hate', then openly wishes them dead after decrying the worth of their lives to be less than zero / being the devil.

I initially didn't get that he meant 'inciting hate' was within himself...

You know what they say about the kettle, granted the man made a good point.

The other two are just stupid, plain and simple.

How interesting that Pat Robertson, a devout Christian, would be so critical of such an event. I wonder what his impressions would be of the group of Canadian teens and chaperones who went to Haiti to assist with humanitarian efforts just before the earthquake? They are from a local Christian group.

Thankfully, the update is that they have finally been retrieved and delivered to the airport and awaiting the next Canadian transport back to Montreal.

News Coverage

Just wanted to say that I give big condolance and comfort to the people of Haiti and wish they will overcome this hardship and get back on their feet again soon. They should know that the World cares and is with them and god is with them, and I wish they don't lose hope and be strong to work to restore the damage the country have received.

Best of luck to all the people there and may god help them. God bless each and every one of them who is suffering from this natural disaster.

If you would, you can also help by donating any sum of money to any internet donating sites such as www.yele.org, www.unicefusa.org/haitiquake among others which I plan to in a few days.

• Agree 1

The thing I've been wondering about, besides the terrible human tragedy, is what is going to be done with all the physical debris? There must be hundreds and hundreds of tons of building debris that will have to be disposed of. Will it all be put in landfill on the island? Put on barges and dumped at sea? This has got to be a tremendous environmental disaster as well.

The thing I've been wondering about, besides the terrible human tragedy, is what is going to be done with all the physical debris? There must be hundreds and hundreds of tons of building debris that will have to be disposed of. Will it all be put in landfill on the island? Put on barges and dumped at sea? This has got to be a tremendous environmental disaster as well.

...can concrete be ground down and reused? hopefully it's not just dumped in the sea. the steel should be recycled.

hopefully Haiti can get it's act together and be so much better off after they start rebuilding... upgrading. i say Haiti, cause other countries can't do it for them/their citizens.

It looks like every single building in the city was made of concrete.

Concrete can be ground & mixed in with fresh concrete as aggregate, question is: does haiti have a plant that does that? Also- I've seen a surprising amont of rebar in the 'crete- I have not heard that separating that from the concrete is feasible- and that is likely a further specialization as far as a plant to handle it would be concerned.

If more of the buildings had been of wooden construction, there likely would have been far less death. Assumedly timber is in short supply on haiti.