Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chipotle Restaurants...?

The food is good and its not usually packed. Its a burrito place that is kind of like Subway Sandwiches. You pick the type of tortilla (burrito, soft tacos, hard tacos or none) then you select your meat and toppings.

The Chipotle chain is owned by McDonald's so the food is consistent and the restaurants are clean.

In California...... (I had to put this caviate in there cause we are totally different then everywhere else)

They are very popular with the under 25 crowd (Colleges and High Schools) They offer free drinks to people with student IDs. I used to love and go in there when I needed something fast but was tired of the same old burger and fries.

Well...OK I shouldn't have said packed. Sounds like the places are being overrun with customers. Let's see...do they appear to have consistent customers? That's probably a better way to word it.

I would say yes around here.... typical lunch and dinner crowd... competes with Baja Fresh and Rubios.... if they had drive thrus they might be more popular with soccer moms.

The stores in my area have been around for almost 10 years so I would say they have staying power.

Go to Qdoba. They have 5 in California with more opening soon. They are Denver-based, and they are a little cheaper than Chipotle, they have better burritos (they actually put meat in them instead of Chipotle's tiny bit of meat and lots of rice and beans), Qdoba has more of a menu (salads, quesadillas, soup, etc), and the food is generally better, though it isn't as spicy as Chipotle's food. Check epinions.com as Qdoba kicks their butts at ratings. McDonald's is wanting to sell Chipotle because of slow sales and loss of money, whereas Jack In The Box is actually EXPANDING Qdoba all over the country. I have never heard someone say they liked Chipotle better than Qdoba. NEVER.

Go to Qdoba.  They have 5 in California with more opening soon.  They are Denver-based, and they are a little cheaper than Chipotle, they have better burritos (they actually put meat in them instead of Chipotle's tiny bit of meat and lots of rice and beans), Qdoba has more of a menu (salads, quesadillas, soup, etc), and the food is generally better, though it isn't as spicy as Chipotle's food.  Check epinions.com as Qdoba kicks their butts at ratings.  McDonald's is wanting to sell Chipotle because of slow sales and loss of money, whereas Jack In The Box is actually EXPANDING Qdoba all over the country.  I have never heard someone say they liked Chipotle better than Qdoba.  NEVER.

Well....that would be nice if either of those things were true.

Heh and really, Im not looking for a place to eat dinner here.

Edited by CD/BP

I had chipotle once a long time ago...Don't quite remember the experience, but I'm a Baja Fresh kinda guy. Love getting a steak baja burrito and some chips and guacamole. Also can't turn down a good Rubios fish taco.

Edited by Nick

Well....that would be nice if either of those things were true.

Heh and really, Im not looking for a place to eat dinner here.

Actually, as of last summer they were true. I read in more than one article that McDonald's was looking to spin Chipotle off or sell it because they weren't making the money they wanted them to.

And to answer the original question, I have only been in one Chipotle that had a line. Every other time I have been there I was the only customer. Not too good...

Edited by Croc

Chipotle, I'm sick of them already. They are good, but I'm so bored with the low buck interior, concrete floor, plywood chairs, cheap ass decor. Pathetic. A shame, considering how much coin they ask you to fork out. Unacceptable. Bottom feeder. The worst. Its always so loud in there. You can't even have a conversation. The place is always full and loaded with urban / yuppies / trendies and that crowd gets old. I like the food, and they are extremely popular. But I'm sick of it. I can go to a local Mexican deli and get much better takeout or sit down.

Qdoba- a cheesy Chipotle rip off. I think they suck.

They are opening Chipotles left and right here and they all do tremendous business and are always busy. I know several people who go there religiously, almost every day, to the point where the people behind the counter know what they want on their burritos.

I'll still go there because the food is cheap and filling and free from grease, but until they get rid of the 'GM beancounters' cheap ass loud ugly metal pipe / plywood / worthless chairs with bare light bulbs and concrete floor decor.....I ain't going there much.

that look is tired and old. its so five or six years ago.

If i could get the food without having to deal with the trashcan decor and abundance of urban yuppie trendy 'so cool' pricks, I'd be fine with it.

BTW i think Mc Donalds sold them awhile ago?.

I had baja fresh in denver once and it was good. Baja Sol here is pretty good but not altogether a huge improvement over Chipotle, but they do have a 'Salsa Bar'....huge points with me.

Pepitos here in the minneapolis area is the absolute best. Eat that and you'll think Chipotle is mediocre.

Edited by regfootball

Actually, as of last summer they were true.  I read in more than one article that McDonald's was looking to spin Chipotle off or sell it because they weren't making the money they wanted them to.

OK well...heh, yea...still not true though. Chipotle has posted steady gains the last 2 years. They are being spun off to generate even more money to pay off the revolving credit line they had with McD's and to fuel restaurant expansion, which ideally, would increase profit.

OK well...heh, yea...still not true though. Chipotle has posted steady gains the last 2 years. They are being spun off to generate even more money to pay off the revolving credit line they had with McD's and to fuel restaurant expansion, which ideally, would increase profit.

OK...so, Yoda, what's the point of this thread?

I've only ever seen one Chipotle, didn't see how many people were in it.

And the only good thing about Qdoba (in my experience) is the free WiFi and convenience, we have three so there is always one around. I'm not a big fan of the food.

Oh and real Mexican food kicks ass.

Edited by Satty

Chipotle is eh. I think it's better than the other chain Mex restaurants (El Torito, Chevy's, On the Border). Every time I go to those places, the rest of the day is a "throw away."

If I'm looking for that $7 to $10 meal, I head straight to Daphne's, UHM UHM, though anyone outside CA/AZ/NV wouldn't know what it is?

My college friend in San Diego laughs his ass off...he says I am addicted to Bob's Big Boy and Daphne's and that those must be my concept of fine dining.

If I'm looking for that $7 to $10 meal, I head straight to Daphne's, UHM UHM, though anyone outside CA/AZ/NV wouldn't know what it is?

My college friend in San Diego laughs his ass off...he says I am addicted to Bob's Big Boy and Daphne's and that those must be my concept of fine dining.

For me it's Daphne's and IHOP.

I think we have more Chipotles here per capita than anywhere else (Denver) and Chipotle #1 is close to my office (the first Chipotle is near the U. of Denver).

My crew and I go pretty much every Friday..very popular with my demographic (30-something cubicle dwellers) though one of the ones we usually go to is often infested with high schoolers (noisy, rude little f*ckers) since it is in walking distance of a high school.

I've been a fan since I discovered Chipotle in the late '90s--I usually get a chicken fajita bowl.

They are IPOing soon, I think.

I like Qdoba also... there is a Rubio's across from my office, but they are the restaurant of last resort (not very good). There is a Wahoo's Fish taco nearby also.

I eat lunch out every day M-F with my cubies and we seem to alternate between burger joint/mexican fast food/chinese/thai/indian.

Edited by moltar

[rant]Bah, I have a personal grudge against chain Mexican food that's been Americanized (see: watered-down.) In Dunn, there are two privately-owned Mexican restaurants beside each other, both owned by the same Mexican entrepreneur. The first one he opened was pretty standard fare Mexican food, but the second opened as a place for actual Latin American cuisine, a lot of which were old family recipes that his own mother used. Sadly, he was unable to make any money off of this, so he had to change to the cheaper menu, so now he has two restaurants with identical menus. People wouldn't go to it because it was "so much more expensive than the other place," completely oblivious to the fact that the quality of food there was much higher, and a bargain compared to the other nicer restaurants around the area. It was one of the few moments of actual culture that's ever entered into Dunn, but since that culture was Mexican, the idea was that it should be cheap. I still go there sometimes when I'm home, because the food's still good and the owner's a great guy, but I feel a little bit of sadness every time now. [/rant]

then they could at least spend some fcking money on the interior of their restaurants.

CONCRETE FLOORS

PLYWOOD SEATS

TABLES MADE OF SPRINKLER PIPE

ONE DOLLAR LIGHT FIXtURES

HORRIFIC ACOUSTICS YOU CAN'T EVEN HEAR YOURSELF THINK

YUPPIE SCUM EVERYWHERE

STUPID ASS PLASTIC BASKETS AND FOIL to eat off of, THEY DON'T EVEN GIVE YOU A PLATE FOR YOUR FRICKIN BURRITO THOSE CHEAP ASSES...this isn't a dairy queen in nebraska for GoD's sakes

THEY ONLY FILL THEIR SALSA CUPS HALF FULL

but their pop is cheap, their burritos are good

Edited by regfootball

then they could at least spend some fcking money on the interior of their restaurants.

CONCRETE FLOORS

PLYWOOD SEATS

YUPPIE SCUM EVERYWHERE

STUPID ASS PLASTIC BASKETS AND FOIL to eat off of, THEY DON'T EVEN GIVE YOU A PLATE FOR YOUR FRICKIN BURRITO THOSE CHEAP ASSES...this isn't a dairy queen in nebraska for GoD's sakes

Why would you need a plate for a burrito? I like the wood and aluminum decor... the 'yuppie scum' comment was uncalled for..that's me & my peeps (the khakis and dress shirt office crowd) :)

Stop "yelling."

Investors didn't seem to mind...the ones who got in on the IPO price made 100% profit today.

I'm happy... I'd like to get some stock...it's good to see a local company get big and successful (though they had some help from Mickey D's).

I'm happy... I'd like to get some stock...it's good to see a local company get big and successful (though they had some help from Mickey D's).

More than a little help. McDs has almost 90% of the voting stock for the time being. Some of the profits from today's sale will be used by Chipotle to pay down a 30 million line of credit they had with McDs. I think Chipotle will continue to well on its own however. Several key Chipotle executives came from the McD's empire.

I imagine Wendys is salivating over today's IPO as well since they have a similar plan to spin off Tim Hortons in the near future.

Edited by CD/BP

CONCRETE FLOORS

PLYWOOD SEATS

YUPPIE SCUM EVERYWHERE

Man, Reg, I can tell what FIELD you're in based on your analysis.

They're opening more around here. I prefer the real Mexican food my girlfriend cooks for me sometimes.

I don't see it as fake. They just do what they do. They're not Taco Bell with it, they just happen to be a chain.

Now if they were trying to crank out chile rellenos and menudo or menudo, you might have a point from which to criticize them a little harder. But just to score a fajita burrito or a few tacos or something, one can't go wrong if the Chipotle taste is the one you're in the mood for (and you're ready to plunk down 5-something).

I had chipotle once a long time ago...Don't quite remember the experience, but I'm a Baja Fresh kinda guy. Love getting a steak baja burrito and some chips and guacamole. Also can't turn down a good Rubios fish taco.

Baja Fresh and Rubio's are two of the most boring, disappointing tastes out there....

ETA (means "Edited To Add" - got that from TWoP): I like Chipotle's decor. It's kinda cool to me. I don't think a place needs to be super festive looking, as long as it's clean, and more importantly, the food is good. Plus I see nothing wrong with doing the basics their way.

As far as having to deal with high schoolers, I only know of two stores out here, neither of which are anywhere near one. Plus I don't see the prices as conducive to 15-year-olds frequenting the spot (though they love Subway, and the darndest kids sure own these expensive kicks and the latest gadgets, so I could be wrong)

Edited by LosAngeles

I heard about Chipotle yesterday on NPR for the first time because they were discussing the stock increase.

We don't have anything like it around here. We only have fast food mexican chains and a few locally own(and really authentic) mexican food restaurants in this area.

One chain that is only located in this area is very similar to Taco Bell.. but in a lot of ways.. better. Haven't been there in a while. I'm staying away from Mexican fast food for a good year and 1/2.

Mighty Taco

Another one is Baja Fish Taco.. which I guess is really authentic.

The best Mexican food I've ever had was at El Cholo's in Santa Monica, CA about 5 years back. It was sooo good.

el cholo

We have some really good local authentic Mexican places here in the Denver area, but the best Mexican I've had has been in Phoenix and the LA area.

That said, I like Chipotle for what it is...tasty and fresh, fast and definitely a cut above Taco Bell or Del Taco.