Denny's-for FREE, baby

Ok, of this I am certain: there are Denny's from Boston to Barstow. That being said, they are doing the "no coupon - no strings attached" Free Grand Slam breakfast today, from 6am to 2pm.

I'm walking over there with 2 co-workers for lunch to get a late breakfast (LOL). Anyone else partake? While not Bob's Big Boy, their food is at least edible.

There are a couple of them close to me (within a mile or two), but haven't been in one in a while. Usually always see strange scary people in them.

When I go out for breakfast, I like going to local places (or Einstein's Bagels if I'm in a hurry).

There are a couple of them close to me (within a mile or two), but haven't been in one in a while. Usually always see strange scary people in them.

When I go out for breakfast, I like going to local places (or Einstein's Bagels if I'm in a hurry).

LOL. Note the bold...and read my post.

Well, we just got back from Denny's. We drove to one about 4 miles away. We got there at about quarter to noon. They said 25 to 30 minutes of waiting. It was 40 minutes. We were the ONLY "office types" there. Most others were either college students or "gang bangers" or "who knows what." It then took about 10 minutes to get the 3 free Grand Slam breakfasts. We made it easy on her - 3 Grand Slams and 3 glasses of water. We had to chow down fast...I mean REAL FAST...in less than 15 minutes to get back to the office so that our longer lunch went unnoticed. We tipped $3.

It was pretty funny when we got back into the car and reflected on the absurdity of going through all that trouble for 3 FREE Grand Slams!

Edited by trinacriabob

Several times in the last 10 years I've flown out to San Jose for the weekend, usually to go to a concert at the HP Pavilion or visit friends. Inevitably, we'd find ourselves at midnight on a Friday or Saturday night at the Dennys on 1st street in San Jose, just down the road from eBay's offices.

Another time after going to a concert at the Arco Arena in Sacramento we were driving around looking for a Dennys, couldn't find one...ended up eating room service food at the hotel.

In 2008, after going to a concert at the US Bank Arena in Cincinatti, we went to Dennys (almost went to Waffle House instead).

For some reason, I often end up at Dennys on Fri-Sat nights after going to a concert...

• Agree 1

the Dennys on 1st street in San Jose

almost went to Waffle House instead

I've been to that Denny's in S.J. too. That place is always packed.

I think Denny's is marginal, but I think Waffle House borders on disgusting.

I've been to that Denny's in S.J. too. That place is always packed.

Yeah, somehow I end up in there every couple of years..going back to 1997. Had a 2 day job interview that included going there after going out drinking downtown. Should have joined that company in hindsight..

I think Denny's is marginal, but I think Waffle House borders on disgusting.

Yeah, but at 3am in darkest rural Ohio sometimes Waffle House is all there is..still have memories of zipping up I-71 in a rental Dodge Intrepid in '99 and stopping at WH for food and coffee in the wee hours of the morning.

I put Dennys there w/ IHOP, Big Boy, Village Inn, Elbys (not sure if that chain still exists). Decent road trip food or late night eats.

Dennys was a staple of my college and grad school years for late night eats after a night of hitting the pubs or blues clubs in Kent and Ann Arbor...

Is it bad that I consider it an improvement that the Denny's in my town was shut down and turned into a Mexican restaurant?

FTR: Cracker Barrel has the best breakfast.

Ya, for chains, Cracker Barrel and Original Pancake House are my favorites.

Ya, for chains, Cracker Barrel and Original Pancake House are my favorites.

Ok, I'll give you Cracker Barrel for the unique set-up and reliable comfort food.

However, my favorite will always be Bob's Big Boy - not the Big Boy's such as JB's, Fritz's, etc. that you might find in UT, MI or PA which have slightly different menus, but the ones with the more or less unchanged menus that used to dot California, Nevada and maybe even Arizona.

My mom spent Saturday night in the hospital with heart fluttering after using her snowblower from the last storm and 2 feet of snow. Yesterday I had to take a few hours off from work to take her in for a stress test. On the way home, she wanted to stop for breakfast, and got the bright idear we should stop at Denny's. We both completely forgot about the promotion, and found the parking lot Slammed. So we went to Sheetz, a local convenience store chain, and got matching ham, egg and cheese bagel sammiches. Cheap, but fresh made, and reasonably tasty.

Nothing like a big, homemade breakfast though. Eggs, bacon, toast, waffles, pancakes, snausages, scrapple, orange juice... YUM.